Subject: 2 ice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear, I'm getting more and more stupid in my old age. Try as I might I just can't get the mechanics of threats down at all. I've downloaded the cheat sheet, but it still doesn't come easily to me.

A room has two ice. I know it's not empowered. Can it be entered? I think no. How do you fix this if you need to go through? If you throw fire at it you end up with a flooded room. Is that the way to go, and hope that the room doesn't trigger?

I wish there were an easier way for me to figure out all the interactions. Maybe I'll make a flowchart, once I'm certain I know all the little kinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd blame the designer for not writing the rules more clearly

That being said, you're basically right about everything. The room isn't empowered, you can't enter and an adjacent fire will melt the ice. The only thing that you may have missed is that double ice melts to single water, so the room is pretty passable (slows movement but doesn't drown you)

That's not necessarily the best approach, part of the fun of the game is discovering the right approach for the particular spellbook you're stuck with this game. There are spells and disasters that'll just remove the tokens directly. You could use the ... is it laboratory? ... to move one of the ice tokens to an adjacent room giving you two one ice (slippy) rooms instead of one two ice (impassible) one. There are various teleport options available to you (including losing a mana to zap back to the mana crystal in extreme circumstances). There's also a spell that lets you walk through walls. If there are monster portals in the right place you could also get in and out using Susie's special ability.

The 'best' approach depends upon a lot of factors, but you should find that in any give game you're unlucky if you've only got one way to overcome that problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Greg. To show how little's been retained in my tiny mind, I didn't know the fire could be in an adjacent room (do you mean adjoining, btw?). I thought it could only be in the same room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right, though I know we tried both in playtesting, I think adjoining is the one we ultimately preferred. I don't have a rulebook on me to check though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grimoire right next to me (yeah it arrived) says adjoining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Spath
Australia
flag msg tools
x_equals_speed wrote:
I think you're right, though I know we tried both in playtesting, I think adjoining is the one we ultimately preferred. I don't have a rulebook on me to check though.

The rulebook says adjoining. This seems rather odd to me, since it means fire that would otherwise be adjoining won't melt 2 ice, and the only way to melt 2 ice is to create fire in the room itself.

I think after reading this thread I'll be house ruling that normally adjoining fire does melt 2 ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liq3 wrote:
I think after reading this thread I'll be house ruling that normally adjoining fire does melt 2 ice.
That's not a house rule. That's the actual rule. Did you mean Adjacent?

Adjoining - Rooms next to each other with open doors between them. Fire in Adjoining rooms melts ice.

Adjacent - Rooms next to each other.

Adjoining rooms are also Adjacent, so we can't easily say fire in an Adjacent room does not melt ice, but we can safely say the magical walls of the academy act as impressive thermal insulators, preventing a fire from melting ice through a brick barrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Temeraire wrote:
liq3 wrote:
That's not a house rule. That's the actual rule. Did you mean Adjacent?

Adjoining - Rooms next to each other with open doors between them. Fire in Adjoining rooms melts ice.

But page 6 of the Grimoire says:
Quote:
A room containing two ice tokens is not considered to be adjoining any other room.

(It says the same in the Rulebook Glossary too.) Unless adjoining can be "one-way" (i.e. the room with fire is adjoining the room with ice, but not vice-versa - can't help feeling that will open a can of worms), by definition you can never have a fire in a room adjoining a room with 2 ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan is correct, the RAI doesn't match the RAW.

It should be played as possible for fire to melt ice that would normally be adjoining if not for the ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baredas wrote:
Why can't you have a fire in a room adjoining a room with 2 ice?

Because the rulebooks say that rooms with 2 ice are not adjoining any other rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.