Lord of the Rings» Forums » General

Subject: Silverline edition and expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I have this right - all the expansions are incompatible except for Battlefields which works? If yes, then what causes the incompatibility? From what I've been reading the rules were only slightly changed between the editions... I have only played the Silverline edition and have no clue about the previous ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the problem are the cards, they are all different so you can't mix them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dna_Boy wrote:
I believe the problem are the cards, they are all different so you can't mix them.

How are they different? Are they different size or different backs? In the latter case LOTR sleeves would solve the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's both! And also tokens are different as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at THIS thread. It gives some good information about it all.

Fortunately I escaped the FFG spin on this game by getting all the original releases of it & expansions before the changes they made. Same thing happened with BattleLore - some non compatibility between editions which annoys me but I guess that is why they make new editions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Do I have this right - all the expansions are incompatible except for Battlefields which works? If yes, then what causes the incompatibility? From what I've been reading the rules were only slightly changed between the editions... I have only played the Silverline edition and have no clue about the previous ones

This post summarises the physical differences well
Difference between First & Second Editions?. The main problem is the card and event tile variation. Cards are not too much of a problem but if playing with hands hidden it does give a bit away. The tiles are much more of a challenge as even with a bag, the different sizes are going to make the sauron tile expansion incompatible.

The only rule change I am aware of is that in a 2 player game the sliverline edition does't explicitly say discard 4 cards from the Rivendell and Lorien cards before distribution.

Battlefields still uses 10 cards with the same art as the old edition so is not completely compatible either, but again not insurmountable.

Generally if you're planning on sourcing the expansions and don't have the base game yet, it might make more sense to go for the old version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SolarJ wrote:
borsook wrote:

This post summarises the physical differences well
Difference between First & Second Editions?. The main problem is the card and event tile variation. Cards are not too much of a problem but if playing with hands hidden it does give a bit away. The tiles are much more of a challenge as even with a bag, the different sizes are going to make the sauron tile expansion incompatible.

The only rule change I am aware of is that in a 2 player game the sliverline edition does't explicitly say discard 4 cards from the Rivendell and Lorien cards before distribution.

Battlefields still uses 10 cards with the same art as the old edition so is not completely compatible either, but again not insurmountable.

Generally if you're planning on sourcing the expansions and don't have the base game yet, it might make more sense to go for the old version.

Thanks for a detailed answer, I do have the base game already... It's a pity they decided to update the base but not the expansions and I guess after all this time a chance for that is pretty low...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still get away with using the Friends and Foe and Battlefields with some card sleeves, and only the tile expansion from Sauron is incompatible, the other parts of it should work ok.

That said there are a fair few old versions of the base game going quite cheap on ebay fairly often, the expansions are usually a bit harder to source cheaply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What chances are FFG might be updating the expansions in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
What chances are FFG might be updating the expansions in the future?

They said somewhere they have no plans of doing that. I guess that's all we know, but considering when Silverline came out this is probably just not going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Anyone know the conversions for the activity tracks from the new board game and using the old friends and foes. When picking out the tiles Im not sure which tracks they apply to on the expansion board. Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just replied to to you here Anyone know the conversions for the activity tiles and cards ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.