Qwixx» Forums » Rules

Subject: Starting player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Rosenberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

is it written anywhere who should start?
I guess there is a little advantage to start,
compared to the last player that might not have
his/her last turn when the end conditions will trigger...

Any ideas?

Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Guimarães
Guimarães
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
May the Holy Grail protect me from these evil deeds!
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a real advantage in being first in this game. Because of probabilities any advantage seems to mitigate over the course of the game.

It's true that in theory the first player might be the one to finish the game, but it's also true that the first player might be the first one to miss-roll...

The game is fine as it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree the game isn't broken, I have seen cases where clearly the first player has an advantage.

Let's say they roll at 4/5 on their first turn.

They mark the 4/5 and everyone debates whether to mark the 4 but most take a pass.

The next roller rolls a 6 and everyone else takes a pass but for the first player this is perfect. And so now the first player has 7/8/9 available to them that pretty much no one else has and they can run away with the game.

I'm not saying first player will win all the time, it's dice after all, but I do think they have a slight advantage.

We tried doing a Zig Zag (can't think of the name) turn order where the first player goes first and then when it's the last players turn, they take a 2nd turn immediately after and the turn order reverses. Seemed to work pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a dice game, so how about everybody rolls two dice and the highest total goes first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Guimarães
Guimarães
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
While I agree the game isn't broken, I have seen cases where clearly the first player has an advantage.

Let's say they roll at 4/5 on their first turn.

They mark the 4/5 and everyone debates whether to mark the 4 but most take a pass.

The next roller rolls a 6 and everyone else takes a pass but for the first player this is perfect. And so now the first player has 7/8/9 available to them that pretty much no one else has and they can run away with the game.

I'm not saying first player will win all the time, it's dice after all, but I do think they have a slight advantage.

We tried doing a Zig Zag (can't think of the name) turn order where the first player goes first and then when it's the last players turn, they take a 2nd turn immediately after and the turn order reverses. Seemed to work pretty well.

I can see what you mean, but the opposite can also be true, player one rolls 4/5 all other players pass, then the next player rolls 2 or 3 and something else.

If the first round is that much of a deal breaker (which I don't think it is), then I can't see how your variant can help mitigate that, if anything, it adds options to the player who had the very first roll as they get one more turn before it's their turn again to try and maximise on their very first decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the starting player is at a DISadvantage, since they are forced to make a mark or take a penalty.

What if the roll is:

White - 4 & 4
Yellow - 3
Blue - 3
Red - 3
Green - 3

Now the starting player has to mark either an 8 or a 7 on a row, which is a crappy starting mark (or -5 points for a mis-throw)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Guimarães
Guimarães
flag msg tools
Galahad to the Rescue!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we see good points for both sides... the game is really fine as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.