5 Posts

Warhammer: Diskwars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Campaign Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
So I've heard a number of people express a desire for a campaign. There actually already existed rules for a disk wars campaign but I've never recommended them as the rules for these campaigns are complex and would require a fantastic amount of extra 'play' and time on top of the disk wars battles (of which there would by necessity be many). In essence you would be playing an entirely new game which would require you to play numerous disk wars skirmishes as a mini-game to resolve the smaller battles.

As I'd been hearing people talk about it again, I decided I'd give my own take on it. The design of this campaign is significantly different as at most it'll only last 7 matches (minimum 4), but it focuses instead on each match being it's own scenario and quite distinct in board layout and the army compositions being unusual. There is almost no extra play outside the matches though you will need to track which heroes die and some maps have mini-objectives that can give you a small boon. I have created and included enough scenarios to play through a single campaign but if this turns out to be popular, it would be easy to make more and integrate them into the campaign structure.

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/134195/whdw-campaign

I have not had a chance to test it (nobody to test it with) but if anyone is willing to meet up with me on Vassal I'd love to do so. It is designed so you should be able to play it with physical components so long as you have access to 2 core sets (you'll need 2 of the appropriate expansions to play the dwarves or the undead).

If anyone does give this a go, please let me know how it ends up going, I'm very curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko G├╝nther
Germany
Saarbr├╝cken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Reading over it, sounds quite interesting. Unfortunately, I only have access to 1 of each box, so I wouldn't be testing this anytime soon. I'll however watch this thread in case more information shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Someone has pointed out to me that the Double Ambush scenarios take two copies of each expansion for the terrain. In the event that you're playing with physical pieces but lack the extra expansions simply remove the Garden of Moor and the Dwarven Forge without the treasure token from the scenario. They aren't critical to the layout of the mission

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this. I'll try to find a chance to play this.

One thing i would like to see, is the idea of building multiple armies (per player). Each fight you have to pick an army and once used, it is exhausted. Add some sort of cooldown tokens or something. Like I would have each player build 3 different armies with different leaders. Fight, add a cooldown token to the winner and two to the loser. Next fight you pick a non-exhausted army and remove the cooldown for each army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
You might want to take a look at the other campaign rules. They'd create a similar effect in a much more complicated way.

Obviously, there's nothing stopping you from doing that and using the scenarios given in this campaign. That said, an intentional part of the design was that players would not be able to choose their armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.