Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I backed the game and shelved it as we had kiddos enter into our lives. However, shortly after receiving it, a friend learned the game (1.0) and taught us.

Except he got quite bit wrong. We tried a couple times after but with the kiddos and the poor rules, re-shelved it.

I recently tried a 2.0 game but with a brand new person at the table, it was klunky and confusing trying to run the game, explain the rules and learn the new stuff.

Is there some sort of barebones quickstart guide that hits on how to run a game? Or do I just need to sit down with the new rulebook and learn that way? Possibly a reference guide with keywords?

The last game I played I chose the Spriggan and found some keywords not fully explained. I had to look them up on BGG!

I'd like to get this game to the table more but I feel until i'm confident I can set up and go, I don't think it'll hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some good videos (UrbanMyth).

Start with the basic characters and out of them, don't start with the Brigand. So Soldier, Acolyte, Apprentice and Archer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmbmb
"Quick" is relative...

To get a handle on 1.X (so many things were ambiguous in 1.X that I dispute anyone other than the game designers claiming to "know" it back then) you probably had to put in 6-10 solid hours of reading, video watching, and head-scratching. Looking back, I spent my free time for a week learning it, and I still didn't really get it until I'd played a few tiles with my friends.

That doesn't seem to be necessary with 2.0, thankfully.

The 2.0 manual is aimed at teaching the game, it walks you through, but be warned that it lacks an index. I'd set aside at least 45 minutes to get through the book.

If you watch all the tutorial videos on UrbanMyth (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmB8wQPEn5pGJ6EsfTwy2Sw/vid...) that's about an hour and 20 minutes.

So, I estimate about 2 hours for a "quick" start, less if you read the book with the videos playing.

[edit: RemiB also has good Myth videos, and he's started making 2.0 stuff. His Myth 1.X videos really helped me learn, I'm sure his 2.0 stuff is good, too: https://www.youtube.com/c/remisrandr/videos]

I say "estimate" because my group's still playing with 1.X, and we intend to until Shores and Kanis deliver and we have new content to play with. I recognize that I'm an outlier, since 1.X rules worked fine for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys!

I checked out the videos and it was very helpful. Those guys are good at teaching.

Still, I wish there were more. Like Brigand has a bunch of keywords I don't remember from 1.0.

Good advice on staying with the basic four heroes though, I like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
robbcorp26 wrote:
Those guys are good at teaching.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I know, the new keywords are all explained in the 2.0 book, on page 12. The downloadable version of the book (from the game's website) is fully text-searchable.

There's no base cards that I've seen that take advantage of the "Stacked" keyword on the Brigand's Ongoing Shadows cards, though

"Stacked" lets you place other cards on top of the card with "Stacked"; cards you can stack in this fashion have an indication on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zogre wrote:
As far as I know, the new keywords are all explained in the 2.0 book, on page 12. The downloadable version of the book (from the game's website) is fully text-searchable.

There's no base cards that I've seen that take advantage of the "Stacked" keyword on the Brigand's Ongoing Shadows cards, though

"Stacked" lets you place other cards on top of the card with "Stacked"; cards you can stack in this fashion have an indication on the card.

OMG. Stacked was the keyword I was thinking of! No wonder why I was confused by it because I didn't see anything other than the brief definition.

So Stacked can only be on Stacked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmbmb
robbcorp26 wrote:

OMG. Stacked was the keyword I was thinking of! No wonder why I was confused by it because I didn't see anything other than the brief definition.

So Stacked can only be on Stacked?

I don't think we've seen the keyword that interacts with Stacked yet - the 2.0 rulebook says:

"Stacked: This card allows the Hero to place other cards on top of it (specified by the hero card) to gain an effect. These cards typically come from journeymen[sic] level hero cards or higher"

That says to me that we'll see cards in Shores & Kanis that can go onto a card with the "Stacked" keyword, but in the base game it's not useful yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm my downloaded copy says this:

"This card allows the Hero to place other cards on top of it (specified by
the hero card) to gain an effect"

Regardless, now I know that certain cards can be placed onto a card with Stacked, not just any card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Acolyte's Pray card has the Stacked keyword on it. That seems like a very simple version, but essentially, another card is played on top of it.

I also remember a Soldier card with that - The Easy Way and the Hard Way - one plays on top of the other and you get both bonuses.

So for now, an way to allow combos to occur a bit easier or otherwise power up some card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmbmb
Careful with your words, "Combo" is a specific keyword but yes, the "Stacked" keyword increases the power of the action slot. The Brigand's Stacked cards are mostly Ongoing as well, so there's a lot of potential there, when Journeyman drops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! Walkthrough and Staring Quest: http://megacongames.com/games/myth/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
Sam and Max wrote:
Yep! Walkthrough and Starting Quest: http://megacongames.com/games/myth/

Is there a 2.0 version for this document, or a list of changes?

I got stuck on page 2, "5. Create Quest Deck" where it tells me to remove all cards with the "C" and "chain-C" icons.
Unless I overlooked something, the 2.0 cards no longer have those icons. I tried to sort them via their names, but while a lot of the cards have a corresponding one in both versions, not all of them do, and I have no idea what to do about them.
Does this matter for the walkthrough at all? Or is "The Weaver's Need" quest card the only one I need for it anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may help:

Item for Geeklist "I'm new to Myth - What do I need to update?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, Greg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.