Subject: Warrior Ability: Shield Smash rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Shield Smash – 1 cheese - After making a melee attack against a minion, if the target figure is not defeated by that attack and you have a shield equipped, use this ability to make 1 additional attack against that figure using just 1 action die.

Anyone else think this ability is kind of rubbish? I mean, you have to pay one cheese to do what Jakobe gets to do for free when throwing his boomerang. Yeah sure, there is a higher chance to hit since it is melee. But it is only one die, and the minion gets to roll a full defense.

But the real question is, why in the world would you choose Shield Smash over Battle Squeak?

- Battle Squeak – 1 cheese - You may use this ability at any time during this mouse's turn. Until the end of this turn, whenever this mouse makes a melee attack, add 1 to its battle during that attack. (2 cards)

Battle Squeak also costs one cheese, but lets you add that one die to your full attack...

So essentially, you can choose Battle Squeak to power up your attack by one die, or choose Shield Smash to perform a very wimpy additional attack that the minion gets to roll a full defend against.

Does anyone actually use Shield Smash? Am I somehow just missing the usefulness of this ability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
One important thing to note is that Shield Smash can be used AFTER you see that you fail. That's a big deal. You'd rather get +1 on the times you need it.

That being said it still seems kinda crap against anything with decent defense. Roach killing if you screwed up I suppose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
Oh, you'd like me to connect the dots for you, lead you from A to B to C, so that your puny mind could comprehend. How boring.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you house rule it so that the target doesn't get to roll defense against it, the ability gets a heck of a lot more interesting (but also probably overpowered).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
One important thing to note is that Shield Smash can be used AFTER you see that you fail. That's a big deal. You'd rather get +1 on the times you need it.

That being said it still seems kinda crap against anything with decent defense. Roach killing if you screwed up I suppose!

Aye, I was actually thinking that after I posted... that may be the only real benefit... that you don't have to commit to spending cheese on something you probably have a good chance of getting anyway. Like if you are rolling 3 or 4 dice and have been rolling well, why spend a cheese to add an extra die, just to throw all swords and find that the extra die was just way overkill. Shield Smash lets you make a rather small percent chance to try again, after you have already flubbed your first attack.

Woelf wrote:
If you house rule it so that the target doesn't get to roll defense against it, the ability gets a heck of a lot more interesting (but also probably overpowered).

Yeah, that was a possibility we were thinking about... but like you, we wondered if that would be overpowered.

I suppose, in the overall scheme of things, Shield Smash was meant for use on the common, everyday minions... even IF it's just a small chance, it's still an extra chance. But it certainly isn't worth using against anything that rolls 3 or 4 defense.

And the law of averages suggests that if you just rolled 4 dice and came up all bows and cheese, chances are more in your favor that you will roll a melee next... (however, that is really just the gamblers fallacy... because you have just as much chance to not roll melee each and every time you roll. And why do I suddenly have the urge to watch Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead..? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not houserule it to "After attacking an enemy you may pay 1 cheese to roll an additional attack with 1 die against any enemy in your or an adjacent space."?
It would be comparable to Battle Thirst (? - just own the german version; the warrior ability which lets you attack another time if you defeated a minion for 1 cheese), but would work even if you did NOT defeat the minion - but works with only 1 cheese.

Best regards, Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.