Subject: First Thoughts and Storage Arrangement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Rose
United States
Washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just received this seemingly final expansion for Steam and here are some of my thoughts. The printing was done in the USA, unlike Expansion #4 the print quality is much better and on par with the previous expansions and base game. Expansion #5 also comes with 24 gold player tokens to have an official 7th color player marker, now I just need gold trains for that illusive 7 player Steam Barons game. The rules for Colonial Indial look a little overwhelming at first glance, but we will see. I like how the rule book contains all the rules for previous expansion. Prior to this it was required to keep a stack of the 1-2 page pamphlets that came with the expansion maps and digging for the right one took a few minutes. As for storage, the Expansion #5 box is able to hold all the maps, base + Steam Barons + Expansions # 1,2,3,4,5) with no space to spare. The Steam Barons Stock Market chart is still too tall for the new box though. That brings me to the first thing I was wondering:
With all of the expansions (base + Steam Barons + Expansions # 1,2,3,4,5) and three boxes (base + Steam Barons + Expansion #5) has anyone discovered a clever way to separate things while keeping some order?
Right now I have all trains and player markers mixed together in bags and most everything that is not a map in the Steam box and only the Steam Barons rules, stock chart, and stock company markers in the Barons box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks for posting!

I just placed an order for this expansion recently, and I also own the base + Steam Barons + expansions 1 through 4.

My thinking was similar to yours...

Base game box -- base map plus all pieces needed to play the base/standard game
New expansion box -- all the expansion maps, rules and expansion-specific pieces
Steam Barons box -- all the pieces needed to play the stock variant, and the Steam Barons map.

I figure I'm either packing my game bag to teach someone how to play the vanilla game, or busting out some maps with experienced players (base + new box) or trying the stock variant (base + barons box).

I do suspect that the stock variant will be left sitting on the shelf, but all those tiles are mixed together, so I don't see myself separating it out and trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno how this compares, but for very large game systems I have (I'm thinking Combat Commander and Super Dungeon Explore), I've organized them such that I can pack and transport just the bits I'm going to need to play a single game.

With SDE, for example, you need map boards equal to players, as well as a hero for each player and a similar number of enemy warbands. So rather than hauling 400 some-odd minis plus a couple dozen mapboards, I can just determine ahead of time that I'm bringing a 4p game, grab 4x maps, 4x warbands, and either 4 hero figs or a small selection of hero figs for people to pick from. What I transport ultimately fits in one normal sized game box. This means that I can reasonably store things on a bookshelf at home without worrying about boxes.

It's likewise with Combat Commander, where at home I have 6 or 7 GMT trays of counters, and a 3" binder that contains all the maps (paper) and scenario sheets. I just need one map, 1 scenario card, and 2-3 of those trays for a given game.

After years of hauling around a way-to-heavy "ready for all things" bag of games, I've started trying to be more selective about stuff like this. Especially because between me and the rest of my gaming pals, we're going to have a dozen options at any given meetup or con, probably more. I don't need to haul around a game bag packed with options for absolutely any occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MagRes wrote:
I just received this seemingly final expansion for Steam...

Let's call this the last expansion of the current arc. We have...more plans, and as Steam continues to do very well (both the board game and the app), we're not going to be walking away from the game AT ALL...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
MagRes wrote:

Let's call this the last expansion of the current arc. We have...more plans, and as Steam continues to do very well (both the board game and the app), we're not going to be walking away from the game AT ALL...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Great news! I was also worried that this was the end for Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
MagRes wrote:

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Any updates Alex? I haven’t seen any signs of Steam’s future since your post. I’m currently waiting patiently for my clearanced #1, #4, and #5 to arrive on my doorstep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.