9 Posts

Mystic Vale» Forums » General

Subject: Advancement cards wear rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I haven't got the game yet but I'm concerned about the advancement cards wearing down since you cannot exactly sleeve them when you shuffle them prior to acquiring them.

What are your thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The advancement cards come with a protective film on them, and instructions that point out the film is easier to remove after a few plays. It's like the protective film on some appliances' surfaces that are high-sheen plastic.

You can leave the film on longer than they suggest, if you don't mind the film edges lifting up a bit over time. However, the film does make the cards look a little duller than they are without the film.

Also, you won't be shuffling the advancement cards as much as normal cards in a deck-building game. You only shuffle the cards once per game; the other times that they get shuffled later, they should be in the main card sleeves provided with the base set cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about this, too. I don't know if they are made of the same material as Gloom, but you definitely can tell when those cards have been used a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
I'm curious about this, too. I don't know if they are made of the same material as Gloom, but you definitely can tell when those cards have been used a lot.

I have sleeved my Gloom cards with penny sleeves so can't say. It's still readable, although a bit less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say. I have a copy and have played it 3 times and they still look pretty good. As other have mentioned, you're not really shuffling them (once per game, maybe), so I don't see them getting too much wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Weiland
Denmark
KĂžbenhavn K
flag msg tools
After 3 plays the cards don't look used. We've kept the protective film on, and will only remove it when it starts to peel off by it's on. I think that'll prolong the game's life.

I can't imagine that you'll be able to sleeve this game, as it is already half-sleeved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kouzmanoff
United States
Champaign
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was something that came up when Hecatomb came out. After two plays, my cards feel and act very similar to hecatomb, so I'm gonna guess that they're actually intensely durable.

Iirc, there was a Hecatomb card durability test, and basically steel wool or prolonged microwaving was required to damage the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes, Hecatomb! I loved its pentagonal cards, even if they were impractical to handle.

Thanks for that info, Adam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the information. I will consequently purchase the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.