BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: How Do I Sell a Game I Invented? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Johnson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've developed an original strategy card game. It's a multi-player game for 4-6 people. I've made up a couple of prototypes and done some play testing with family and friends. It seems to be viable. Now what do I do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you choose whether or not you would like a publisher to publish it or or do it yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sjohnson1960 wrote:
I've developed an original strategy card game. It's a multi-player game for 4-6 people. I've made up a couple of prototypes and done some play testing with family and friends. It seems to be viable. Now what do I do?
Playtest with people who don't know you and won't be supportive no matter what?

Pete (would also consider taking steps to control any IP you may wish to protect)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind play test as well. Basically have people read the rules and play the game without you being there to oversea. Since that is the way the majority of people will play your game.

You will also want to play test it a lot more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Go to the board game design forums and check out the resources there. Many of the pinned topics cover exactly what you're asking, such as this one.

And good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend taking it to a board game design convention such as Protospiel. It would be a good chance for you to play through the game with other designers who can give you honest objective advice on the strengths, weaknesses, and viability of your game. These are also great as it can give you face time with some publishers who can point you in the right direction for what's next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind playtesting and playtests by non friends and family. I highly recommend trying to find an UnPub event or a game design group that meets in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask in the correct forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Ask in the correct forum.

Best advice in this thread.

(and there's some good advice in this thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
sjohnson1960 wrote:

Congratulations, you're past the beginning of the design process. The bulk of the work is yet to come, a long cycle of playtesting with unbiased playtest groups and revision based on that feedback. Selling is a concern for the distant future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Johnson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the great replies...even the chastisement for posting on the wrong forum. Please forgive my "newbieness". This was my first post to this forum and didn't realize there would be a more appropriate place to ask my question.

That being said, your responses have generated a few more questions. I've only play tested amongst friends and family because I trust them not to just steal the idea and sell it as their own. How do I avoid that problem when asking strangers to play test it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sjohnson1960 wrote:
Thanks for all the great replies...even the chastisement for posting on the wrong forum. Please forgive my "newbieness". This was my first post to this forum and didn't realize there would be a more appropriate place to ask my question.

That being said, your responses have generated a few more questions. I've only play tested amongst friends and family because I trust them not to just steal the idea and sell it as their own. How do I avoid that problem when asking strangers to play test it?

They won't, it's entirely to much work to make a good game. You'll come to realize this as you go through the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
sjohnson1960 wrote:

http://danielsolisblog.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/what-if-someo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
United States
Ontonagon
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For every 1000 ideas, there is one game. For every 100 games, there is one good game. Also it helps to post your game idea on bgg and see what people think about the game and how clear the rules are. If we can't understand your rules, then no one else will be able to ether. In witch case, you can't sell your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ahead and share your ideas and rules here, no one will steal your game (trust me, everyone has their own ideas in their storage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
sjohnson1960 wrote:

Ideas are a dime a dozen, a good game is a whole lot of work and time, that is what distinguishes it. Chances are the idea isn't original regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.