Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
...free airshow previews!

That's these guys, by the way.

This beast flew directly overhead while we were outside having coffee, low enough to see the stars on the underside of the wings, but unfortunately I didn't have my phone on me to take a picture. It was impressive.

Previously we've had F-16s or somesuch flying in formation (complete with colored smoke) right past our window (well, a bit above, thankfully).

(edit: sorry, I know the photos aren't great. It was definitely more impressive in real life)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
1/114th Air Assault
badge
Huey's Forward
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live near Eaker Air Base in Arkansas which was a SAC B-52 facility. There was a public road that passed behind the end of the runway to where I would often take my kids out to experience the sound and vibration of a Stratofortress take off right above our heads. Exhilarating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiking the Cotswolds Way in '92: daily sightings of NATO jets doing low level training. I recall a Jag, Tornado, a pair of Hawks and, most impressive, an Eagle so close I waved at the pilot (I can't imagine the residents of that little town enjoyed it as much as I).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Years back I'm standing at my kids soccer practice next to a remarkably lovely German mom who's kid was on the team as well. We had a guest coach who had the kids doing a drill called German U-Boat where the kids had to shoot the ball and hit him, "torpedoing the troop ship." You get all sorts in a navy town. If they glanced one off him he's say "hit me again! finish me off! put me out of my misery!"

I asked the woman "are you okay with this?" and her answer was "not really" but she was keeping her sense of humor. It was a very weird moment.

Half an hour later a DC-3 flies over with D-Day paint, arriving for the anniversary of D-Day at Andrews Air Force Base. I looked at her and asked again, "are you okay with this?" and she replied "if anyone asks I'm Dutch."

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twenty years ago, cyclng on a local bike trail, I heard a loud throaty roar coming from behind ... and knew immediately it was radial engines, and the locally based B-25 coming in low, paralleling the Missouri River ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Great stories!

Actually almost every day we see some old aircraft flying overhead at work, especially old biplanes and such. I think the museum offers rides in some of the planes, so it's not uncommon for them to be in the air. And we almost never see anything modern. But when there's an air show coming, it's especially nice. It's really cool but I wish I knew more about the aircraft so I could say more about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I can get this out of AWOL by citing:
Air Show

I picked it up mainly for the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
I was just reminiscing with a former co-worker of airshows past. All the really good ones happened during the cold war and went downhill thereafter.

The London (Ontario) International Airshow of 1988 featured the 30th anniversary of the F-4 Phantom. There were a lot of Phantoms (at least 20) on the static display.

After the airshow one of the departing Phantoms took off and did a really wide circuit and looped around out of sight. When he came back he was behind the crowds heading to their cars, about 200-300 feet up, and coming in at high trans-sonic speed. Scared a lot of people, but it was awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived in Ottawa (well, Nepean) until I was 13. An airshow at the airport sometime in the 70s had a Vulcan and it did a flyover...I remember a lot of exhaust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
This guy was making some impressive, low-passes over our campus today:

Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
I'm just impressed that they're still getting these beasts up in the air.

Seriously, how do they maintain a reliable workforce of people who can repair and maintain these things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

Seriously, how do they maintain a reliable workforce of people who can repair and maintain these things?

Especially when you consider that their designed maximum life span was 18 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

A friend of mine who had a very minor part in the restoration of the Vulcan (XH558) said the biggest problem wasn't people but parts.

Skills are quite transferable but there's trouble when an aircraft needs a particular part that used to be made from asbestos or similar and no modern equivalent exists, or it does but isn't certified by the authorities who audit all the maintenance work.

(Edit: Very jealous of your vantage point!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.