Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I know the resolve tree is well loved.

But even if you take it all the way, that only accounts for half of your level ups.

What other skills/trees do people like?
The bonus movement from the traveler tree seems handy, as does the bonus grit from the last two trees. (Though maybe less-so since resolve lets you use dark stone for grit)

What skills do you like for the Marshall outside the resolve tree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Marshall my friend plays with has utterly sworn off mutations and corruption (character choice). So he went Traveler / Hunter and it's surprisingly useful. His build taught me that +Move is underestimated, as is +Side Bag. His min-move is like .. 6 (if he rolls a 1). This puts him easily in Shotgun + Hatchet range. The extra side bag items give him Free Attacks, so that saves him an Anvil that would've otherwise been spent on a Free Attack item. He can shoot whoever he wants due to Focus, allowing to maximize extra shots by picking off the weak guys. And um, the bottom of the Hunter tree is uh-mazing. I picture it like Reaper's ultimate from Overwatch.

He gets Grit on a 6 and a 1, offsetting the loss of potentiial Grit by not taking No Shame in it. He just needs Holy and he can be a Paladin.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually looking at traveler and/or hunter as a second tree with resolve.

What is the hunter capstone again? I forget.
What side bag item gives you free attacks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:

What side bag item gives you free attacks?

Throwing Hatchets (from Frontier Town expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game starts later today.
I want to play a Marshall (thus the thread).
My tentative build plan is: resolve tree (of course), the first skill in hunter (more grit and picking targets), and the first two from traveler (lore to move and grit on 6s)
Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to try to play with 1 hero, go watch the "Outlaw Joseph Scott" videos on YouTube. Singleton heroes have it harder for a variety of reasons including their limited carrying capacity, inability to block choke points, and their limited skills (larger parties have a wider variety of skills so you almost always have someone who is good at anything).

Regarding the Marshal, the shotgun is good but you have limited shots right, so you're kind of dependent on luck, even with rerolls.

Good luck though. Haven't played a Marshall yet. I'm using 4 heroes in my solitaire games. I've only played 3 so far -- all basic missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 other folks are coming over to play. One has narrowed it down to either rancher or saloon girl. No idea what the other two will play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have it covered. I like the Saloon Girl. Give her the first melee weapon you find, she's a great potential hand to hand monster.

I'm using the rancher too. Her chain attack is said to be overpowered, but I've only had one streak over 2 and it doesn't seem to be any better than the other classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's semi-official errata that caps the rancher's chains at 3 shots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard, but I don't see the need. That implies that as the rancher you're going to have a lot of 4+ streaks. I'm not seeing that. Furthermore as a solitaire player, I don't care if one character DOES hog the experience, I'm pooling it anyway (too much to handle by myself otherwise).

I'm not making the supposed fix to the trusty pistol either. I'll evaluate it and see how it goes. I managed to actually draw the thing and my gunslinger is only 3 agility anyway so he's going to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any need to apply the errata either (pooled xp and $).

Btw: party ended up Marshal, Saloon Girl, Preacher, Gunslinger. We stomped the intro version of "a fist full of dark stone", and then lost our second mission when the darkness escaped due to dread cards triggering upon finding the boss.

Looking forward to playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing because "the darkness escapes" seems kind of artificial. I've seen people on youTube lose after stomping all the monsters and they're seconds from killing the last threat at the entrance and there's no way the monsters will win in that battle anyway, and the "darkness escapes". Ok you lose the mission, but there is no actual anything to escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I look at it, there's pretty much no way you've explored the whole mine/other world. The monsters from the other areas snuck past and got out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
The way I look at it, there's pretty much no way you've explored the whole mine/other world. The monsters from the other areas snuck past and got out.

Sure but if that was going to happen, you "winning" the mission wouldn't help either. You'd kill that last guy on time and they'd still escape right?

It's actually more believable when you "break" an attack by killing enough enemies (like in the first Frontier Town mission). Then you could see the group being "cohesive" enough to give up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with it, I see the Darkness as being an entity, strengthened by the monsters and otherworld gates opening. The longer those monsters are around the stronger it gets until able to physically manifest itself and "escaping" from the mines to wreak some destruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah,im fine with the darkness escapes rule. Coop games need multiple ways to lose. And the race aspect of this game adds a lot to it.

Back to my Marshall. I've been doing everything I can to afford a double barrel asap, today it occured to me that a darkstone grip accomplishes the same thing for less than half the price, giving me more time to save up for the double, or the punisher. I'm pleased by this idea, and surprised I didn't think of it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a LOT of options in this game. A lot of times I'll see someone playing on YouTube and get great ideas about my characters.

I've played my gunslinger and lawman single wielding and one guy online dual wields (and thus loses criticals which hurts him now and then) but gets an amazing number of shots. It has me thinking. He has some nice armor too and that has me trying to scheme for some armor.

The Darkstone grip with an inlay is 2 Darkstone to save for corruption, but it gives you 1 extra shot AND a reroll so it gives you some quality too. The guy online had a 3 upgrade gun and the third option he used was a void assembly which also allowed him to add peril dice of damage. The trio is cool but then it's 3 Darkstone to save for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
There are a LOT of options in this game. A lot of times I'll see someone playing on YouTube and get great ideas about my characters.

I've played my gunslinger and lawman single wielding and one guy online dual wields (and thus loses criticals which hurts him now and then) but gets an amazing number of shots. It has me thinking. He has some nice armor too and that has me trying to scheme for some armor.

The Darkstone grip with an inlay is 2 Darkstone to save for corruption, but it gives you 1 extra shot AND a reroll so it gives you some quality too. The guy online had a 3 upgrade gun and the third option he used was a void assembly which also allowed him to add peril dice of damage. The trio is cool but then it's 3 Darkstone to save for.

Pretty sure that would take 4 upgrade slots. The inlay alone takes 2 slots. The grip takes one. Unless the assembly doesn't take any...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That said, the darkstone grip is definitely on my radar. Some lucky poker hands let me buy the Punisher Shotgun (yay). When I throw that grip on, I'll have 3 dice. Until I level up, then I'll have 4 d8 attacks :-)

I'm hoping to get a third hand and a Cavalry Saber later on. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Pretty sure that would take 4 upgrade slots. The inlay alone takes 2 slots. The grip takes one. Unless the assembly doesn't take any...

The Outlaw skill tree gives your outlaw gun an extra slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. That's really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.