Subject: Purple die clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The rules are a bit mixed up overall in the terms "using" and "taking" a die, but it mostly makes sense. Specifically, it restricts you to "using" one die a turn. What's not clear is what happens when you take a purple die and reroll purple. It says to put it back without "using" it. Since you haven't used a die yet, the literal reading of the rules suggests you can then take another die (and, to be ridiculous, take the purple die and roll it again, but that's clearly not the intention).

I'm guessing that if you take purple and reroll purple that you cannot take/use another die. If that's the case, it would be clearer if you kept the purple (and thus can still use as purple) and didn't have to keep track of the fact that you already took a die.

What say you: If you reroll purple, is that it for the turn, or can you take another die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed, like you did, that rerolling a purple to purple "wasted" your die-claim for the turn. Unlike other dice you take/use, though, you would not reroll it at the end of the turn when returning it to the core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
an aside, can you not take a die from the source and use one sitting on my card from the start of the round (can't remember the card number)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
an aside, can you not take a die from the source and use one sitting on my card from the start of the round (can't remember the card number)?

Day card 3 in MK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Councilofthevoid wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

Day card 3 in MK.

right.

But can I use the die on that card and take and use a die from the source on one card.

do the rules actually restrict you to using one die each turn, or just using one die from the source each turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mfl134 wrote:

Tactics #3 (I only know the MK name for it).

While you could rules lawyer that vs the general rule "Each turn, a player may use one Data Die from the Core as data of the corresponding color", the rulebook allows you to violate this restriction when a card explicitly allows you (e.g., MK's "Mana Draw").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If you take a purple data die and re-roll purple, that counts as your one normal die for the turn. You cannot take another unless a special effect allows you to.

2. Anything that allows you extra dice, including the Tactic, is in addition to your normal die for the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 Fake Street
msg tools
mbmbmb
"What's not clear is what happens when you take a purple die and reroll purple. It says to put it back without "using" it."

I don't think I understand. At what point can you reroll a die without having used it? I thought you only reroll a die at the end of your turn after you took it from the core and used it. If you took it from the core and did not use it, you put the die back without rolling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markhw wrote:
I don't think I understand. At what point can you reroll a die without having used it? I thought you only reroll a die at the end of your turn after you took it from the core and used it. If you took it from the core and did not use it, you put the die back without rolling it.

When you take a purple die you may choose to reroll it, hoping for a color you don't have available (presumably). Purple represents risk and innovation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
sdiberar wrote:
When you take a purple die you may choose to reroll it, hoping for a color you don't have available (presumably).

Naw - sticking it to my opponent, who I suspect is holding Improvisation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 Fake Street
msg tools
mbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
When you take a purple die you may choose to reroll it, hoping for a color you don't have available (presumably). Purple represents risk and innovation...

Wow, somehow I missed that detail... Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
When you take a purple die you may choose to reroll it, hoping for a color you don't have available (presumably).

Naw - sticking it to my opponent, who I suspect is holding Improvisation.

That seems like a colossal waste of your single inherent dice use.

Also, what is "opponent"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry R
msg tools
So, let's say I have 3 data dice (playing solo) - red, black, and purple. I take the the purple data die and re-roll (hoping for a blue)- I get a gold. Does that mean I have to use the gold die (or no die at all for that turn) - or, at that point, could I decide to use the red die to power a red card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
TRheault wrote:
So, let's say I have 3 data dice (playing solo) - red, black, and purple. I take the the purple data die and re-roll (hoping for a blue)- I get a gold. Does that mean I have to use the gold die (or no die at all for that turn) - or, at that point, could I decide to use the red die to power a red card?

At that point you would be stuck with the gold die, either to spend or return to the Core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.