Henry
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
Just got this email from HPB today. I think you might have to be on their mailing list to get this coupon?

http://image.hpbdirect.com/lib/fe9c13707564037e77/m/5/HPB945...

http://i.imgur.com/egn9bTw.png

HPB have a variety of new and used boardgames. and if you used the 40 - 50% off coupons, should be able to get decent savings even against MSRP. Enjoy and hope this helps! :)

=====================================================================
USEFUL INFO OVER. BELOW IS ONLY FOR SELF APPOINTED HOT DEAL POLICE.
=====================================================================

To preempt any 'this is not a hot deal' comments, I will use their own weapon against them and direct them to read the 'what is a hot deal post'

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417183/what-hot-deal

This post does have a region in the subject line. It does have a subject line that include the retailer and discount percentages, and HPB does have various boardgames for sell, and because you can pick and choose your own game to apply the coupon towards, the price is variable.

This post does not self promote, it is not an auction, there are no referral links, and even if it is for HPB mailing list members only, the post said those are ok.

That post makes no mention of timeline requirement.

Check and mate. :p (also please feel free to cut, modify, and paste the above blurb for your own posts)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Keaney
United States
Bridgeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, ill have to scope my HPB out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems more of a luke warm deal....
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up about the coupons. I made sure I was signed up for their mailing list.

On a side note: I also found that they feature an educators discount for teachers and librarians, which I didn't know about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yes they do! And they seem pretty lax about checking it too? When I applied for mine, I had brought my paystub as proof as was mentioned by their website, the checkout lady just took me at my word and when I offered to show her my e-paystub she just said "nah that's ok. I trust you. No need to go through the trouble of taking it out". Which was really nice of her, but was surprising.

(Not that I'm advising anyone to try to cheat the system, more I was just surprised at how easily I got it)

unfortunately, reading the coupon's fine print, it says the coupons cannot be combined with any other sales or discounts. Ah well :/

(on a completely unrelated sidenote. I once found a brand new, in shrink copy of Manhattan project at my HPB for $5. My god, the bargain hunter rush that I got from that) o.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Zelany
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
echo78 wrote:
(on a completely unrelated sidenote. I once found a brand new, in shrink copy of Manhattan project at my HPB for $5. My god, the bargain hunter rush that I got from that) o.0

Oh yeah, tons of in-shrink Minion Games and bottom-of-the-barrel Z-Man games always seem to end up at Half Price Books.

Picked up a new copy of Mermaid Rain there for a $1, because at that price, I don't care if the game is awful or not (yet to try it).

And it's always interesting to come across old gems hidden and ignored amongst the overpriced collections of Monopoly/Risk/Life.

EDIT: Oh, and of course that rush from casting your suspicious eyes on a fellow traveller as they intrude upon the aisle, only to hear them whisper to their partner, "Oh look! They've got Battle of the Sexes!"
*Lowers nightshade-dipped dart*
Safe passage to you this day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI -- they do stock popular new board games too -- I've seen Legendary and DC comics deck building game and Fuse more recently at 20% off MSRP. SO with a 50% off coupon you are looking at 60% MSRP [or with a 40% coupon 48% off MSRP] for one of those NIS titles.

Their new and used board game section is very much YMMV. I'd say whenever you can get a NIS boardgame at 50-60% off then that tends to be a hot deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bailey
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my coupons this week so I checked out my local HPB yesterday. They had FUSE, Codenames, Lanterns, Legendary, Sheriff of Nottingham and a few others – all new in shrink. At their sticker price plus the 50% Codenames would be $8, Lanterns $14, Fuse $12, Nottingham $13 so some pretty good deals after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to hunt around for my copy of the coupons.

You didn't really need all the nose-thumbing snark at the bottom, though--the HPB coupons get posted here regularly and don't cause a stink. But good on ya for telling off all the people who weren't going to say anything anyway. Such a happy forum... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:

You didn't really need all the nose-thumbing snark at the bottom, though--the HPB coupons get posted here regularly and don't cause a stink. But good on ya for telling off all the people who weren't going to say anything anyway. Such a happy forum... whistle

I do not have any HPB near me, but I tipped this thread precisely because of that clause.

The "not a hot deal" complainers are the thorn in the side of this forum, and the reason I would NEVER post a deal here, even if I knew where you could by [insert hottest new game here] for a penny for an entire case of them (free shipping included). After all, I might have failed to do my due diligence in researching all available prices, or maybe posted a deal of 60% off when the "truly informed" know where it can be had for 61% off.

For every one of those jerks who complains, I dare say there are many of us who just shake our heads in silence, time after time after time, and feel sorry for the OP who took the effort to post.

But, please, continue to feel free to call out the one person who dares to take a stand against the bullies.

[edit - grammar]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool username wrote:
japester1 wrote:

I do not have any HPB near me, but I tipped this thread precisely because of that clause.

The "not a hot deal" complainers are the thorn in the side of this forum, and the reason I would NEVER post a deal here, even if I knew where you could by [insert hottest new game here] for a penny for an entire case of them (free shipping included). After all, I might have failed to do my due diligence in researching all available prices, or maybe posted a deal of 60% off when the "truly informed" know where it can be had for 61% off.

For every one of those jerks who complains, I dare say there are many of us who just shake our heads in silence, time after time after time, and feel sorry for the OP who took the effort to post.

But, please, continue to feel free to call out the one person who dares to take a stand against the bullies.

[edit - grammar]

Yeah, that's a shame. I am reluctant to post here too for the same reasons. I am glad there are those who are willing to though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
japester1 wrote:

Hi James, I'm sorry if it came off snarky. Like you (I'm assuming), I would prefer it if we can be kind and nice towards each other.

The only reason I added the blurb (half as a joke, half serious) was precisely because of the sniping commentaries (which contribute to the ' such a happy forum' vibe that you mentioned) made against people who take the time, and post with good intentions to notify the community of deals, impending or otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone got the coupon beside OP?
I have signed up before and I only get the 10% off 1 time first custom email. subject is "Welcome to HPB!"

After that, I have not get email from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Parks
United States
Cheswick
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alvinltlo wrote:
Anyone got the coupon beside OP?
I have signed up before and I only get the 10% off 1 time first custom email. subject is "Welcome to HPB!"

After that, I have not get email from them.

Actually I did receive the coupons in the mail after recently signing up with them.

Using mine on Pathfinder Card Game which is already $30 in store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
IMHO YMMV TGIF BYOB

[link to something]

Am I doing this hot deals police thing correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar M
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
ʇᴉ uɹnq puɐ ɥɔɹoʇ ʎɯ ʇɥƃᴉl ᴉ
badge
dıɥsɹoʍ ı ʇsɐǝq ǝɥʇ ɯɐ ı
mbmbmb
Yep, I received my coupons as well, now to decide what to use them on...
I stopped in today and saw:
Fuse
Sheriff of Nottingham
Lanterns
Codenames
Boss Monster
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Rumble at Castle Tentakill
Champions of Midgard
Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous – Base Set
Tons of Pathfinder stuff
Grind
Demonslayer: Siege of Mt. Kunlun
Palenque
Steam Park
D&D Gamma World RPG
Munchkin stuff
Marvel Legendary*
The Pathfinder sets are only $29.99 each at HPB, Portal is $40.
Some were straight MSRP, some were much lower than MSRP, most were 20% of MSRP.

Edit: Added Marvel Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also seem to usually get a big restock of NIS games right around sale time, at least mine does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool username wrote:
japester1 wrote:

[edit - grammar]

I'm sorry you feel that way, but it seems like your comments have a major disconnect with reality. The "not a hot deal" posts amount to one (rarely two) replies every 10th thread or so. Threads with dozens and dozens of replies. That is a more of a "needle in a haystack" than a "thorn in the side".

Likewise, the "one person who dares take a stand against the bullies"?? Seriously? Rewind to any of the dreaded "forum police" posts, and you'll see it summarily thumbed down and a dozen tipped and upvoted replies afterward bullying that person into the dirt for daring to quote the forum rules. And more to the point of my own post, this was a pre-emptive dig against potential "forum police". That introduced a negative tone where none had to exist, as these HPB threads pop up all the time and get plenty of helpful replies.

This isn't as much standing up to the bullies as it is pandering to the majority.

echo78 wrote:

Hi James, I'm sorry if it came off snarky. Like you (I'm assuming), I would prefer it if we can be kind and nice towards each other.

Yup, I think we can agree that a happy, helpful forum is the best forum. I don't think you were trying to inject negativity. But that's how it came across. "Forum police" get ridiculed almost every time they pop up. Do we really need to beat that drum in even more threads when it isn't necessary?

Back on topic: checked my mail and haven't received the coupons yet in Texas. I usually get a physical copy sent to me. I'll have to watch my mailbox. HPB is getting quite a nice selection of higher-tier games (not just junk), so area reports are a great resource. And even though it's been mentioned several times before, I encourage anyone who has an interest in the Pathfinder card game to snag the coupons and check their stores. There are still core sets and various class decks floating around at 50% off. With the coupons they are an even sweeter deal. (Now if only I can find another copy of Marvel Legendary--the only one I saw got snatched up at a paltry 20% off MSRP. Amateurs! LOL)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
cool username wrote:
japester1 wrote:
And more to the point of my own post, this was a pre-emptive dig against potential "forum police". That introduced a negative tone where none had to exist, as these HPB threads pop up all the time and get plenty of helpful replies.

This isn't as much standing up to the bullies as it is pandering to the majority.

[q="echo78"]

Yup, I think we can agree that a happy, helpful forum is the best forum. I don't think you were trying to inject negativity. But that's how it came across. "Forum police" get ridiculed almost every time they pop up. Do we really need to beat that drum in even more threads when it isn't necessary?

Well, since we're clarifying our responses...

It's 'pre-emptive' because I've seen them pop up in places where one can hope/assume they wouldn't post because posts related to those topics or vendors have historically been helpful (for example, the most recent pre-MM christmas in July sale). Just because one assumes that someone would know better or have something better to do, does not necessarily make it so. And so I put it in (as I noted above, which was done half in jest, half seriously.) but mostly borne out of a sense of frustration at some individual's persistence in making the form a more 'negative' experience. I don't believe that to be 'pandering' per the word's definition, and it was not the intention.

As to whether it's necessary. Your contention is that it introduced a negative tone. I had wanted to preempt any potential back and forth about whether I was posting in the appropriate channels, which as I pointed out above, surprised me with where they have made their appearance even recently.

As such, I delineated why my post was posted in accordance to the established guidelines; if my attempt at levity in delivering the message was perceived with a negative or hostile connotation, I would only say that it was not my intent. I suspect if I made a statement with any sort of strong personality, there will be some that take issue with some facet of it. I will also point out that some folks have posted back ribbing me in a similar spirit and I perceive no hostility in their response.

Fundamentally, disregarding tone; which will be perceived differently by everyone, especially on an internet forum where there are no visual cues to telegraph one's intent; I made a post in an effort to inform of an upcoming discount event. It was done so in accordance with the rules. I separated the useful info portion of my message with the blurb. The above is my rationale and I hope it will clarify any misinterpretation of my intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
japester1 wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, but it seems like your comments have a major disconnect with reality. The "not a hot deal" posts amount to one (rarely two) replies every 10th thread or so. Threads with dozens and dozens of replies. That is a more of a "needle in a haystack" than a "thorn in the side".

Likewise, the "one person who dares take a stand against the bullies"?? Seriously? Rewind to any of the dreaded "forum police" posts, and you'll see it summarily thumbed down and a dozen tipped and upvoted replies afterward bullying that person into the dirt for daring to quote the forum rules.

On a point of clarification, an occurrence rate of 1-ish every 10 thread or so, (using your numbers), is around 10-ish percent. I would suggest that whether a 10% recurrence is needle/thorn level inconvenience is best left for the individual to decide for themselves.

Also, the thread that is consistently linked at https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417183/what-hot-deal are guidelines, not rules. Being punished for daring to quote the rules is not right. Being communally called out for linking a set of guidelines when those guidelines were not being trespassed is less daring and/or tragic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
echo78 wrote:
japester1 wrote:

Likewise, the "one person who dares take a stand against the bullies"?? Seriously? Rewind to any of the dreaded "forum police" posts, and you'll see it summarily thumbed down and a dozen tipped and upvoted replies afterward bullying that person into the dirt for daring to quote the forum rules.

On a point of clarification, an occurrence rate of 1-ish every 10 thread or so, (using your numbers), is around 10-ish percent. I would suggest that whether a 10% recurrence is needle/thorn level inconvenience is best left for the individual to decide for themselves.

Also, the thread that is consistently linked at https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417183/what-hot-deal are guidelines, not rules. Being punished for daring to quote the rules is not right. Being communally called out for linking a set of guidelines when those guidelines were not being trespassed is less daring and/or tragic.

I thought you were being quite kind to refer to it as a "thorn in the side", my phrase would've been something more like "malignant, life-sucking, cancerous growth"......

Welcome to the Hot Deals forum, easily the most unfriendly, unwelcoming place on BGG . I certainly do use the forum a lot for deals, but I'd never dare to post one here for the same reasons mentioned previously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.