Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilya Oleynikov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
Introduction
Hello, Fellow Bladers.
Recently, I've got myself a 3D Printer. Being the Geek, I almost immediately realized that it would be a great thing to model stuff out for my favorite BGs.
First model which was created for my freshly arrived copy of Millennium Blades (yeah, it was only a week since I own it) to keep the money neatly organized. It's quite a simple model. I'm a noob in modeling stuff, so don't judge too striclty.

Instructions:
1. For those who have a 3D printer, you know what to do.
2. For those who don't have it yet, get one, it's fun. But seriously, take it to a friend or to a place that/who has a 3D printer and, well, PRINT IT. cool

Some tips:
1. Use PLA plastic for less warping.
2. Use 0.2 mm layer heigh.
3. My nickname is there only for reference, it probably won't print.

Disclaimer:
All the imperfections of this and any further parts seen on the pictures below are NOT due to the model, but the printer setup (software and hardware/kinematics of the printer itself). I use Chinese-made DIY-kit-type printer with some hardware and software upgrades for at-least-decent prints, so some imperfections are expected.

Later I'll upload all of my designs to Thingiverce
For now, it'll be the Googledrive.

Money Holder (Bank)
Download:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_fEjuCdxZnyN3NpWXliYXo5V0...

And here is a picture of 3D Model:

The picture of the Money Holder being printed:

You can see stringiness on the bottom, but with that layer height it's actually pretty smooth. You can feel the texture, but it's not as bad as it seems. And you can always use some sandpaper to smooth things out.

The top and bottom view of a freshly printed holder:

You can see this web'y type of things in the middle. I used some scissors to cut it off and some sandpaper/file to make a smooth surface.
Again, it's due to the software (slicer) settings of the printer. On good-calibrated printer it would be perfect. And again, I'm using PLA plastic and it warps slightly (although, it shouldn't warp). I just needed to put a bit more glue onto the glass and level it. Oh well... shake
By the way, this thing around the bottom of the actual printed part is not present in the model. It's just the mean for the print to stick to the glass, and should be removed when the print is done. Again, 3D printing is the complex process. shake

The box with my Binder-Toploader Storage Solution:

Well. As you can see, not all the money was able to fit. I did measure stacks before modeling, but unfortunately, something went not-so-OK. But it's always good to have free-laying-around stacks of 1's and 5's, in case of occasional exchange.

All stacks of 10 M$ actually do fit well.
Approximately 8 stacks of 5 M$ and 1 M$ each does not fit inside so well. But if you want to snugly fit them, you can. But be careful, tight fit means potential wear and tear on such a fragile paper. I just did not want to do it.

The dimensions of a model are 100mm by 137 mm by 57 mm with all the walls 2 mm thick.

More models are coming in the future
Happy Blading while Printing!

P.S.
Requests for the future models are welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pics PLEASE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Oleynikov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
I uploaded a screenshot of a model. The actual picture of a printed model will be there once I get it out of a printer (which will probably be tomorrow as the printer needs a bit of rest).
So, the dimensions of a model are 100mm by 137 mm by 57 mm with all the walls 2 mm thick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this! Time to head to my library to see if they'll allow me to print this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much does it cost (materials and/or equipment rental) to make one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Oleynikov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
It really depends.
But you can always look up and get a quote from your local 3D Printer.
For example on https://www.3dhubs.com/
But it's quite expensive there. I just looked.

As for me, the print on my current settings would take 140 g of PLA plastic.
As I get 1 kg of plastic for about 25 bucks, by math magic it'll be about 3.5 bucks a piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Oleynikov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
Just uploaded pictures as advised. Look for a disclaimer and some notes regarding the fit of stacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.