karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
As a wargamer, there's a few games I've bought on mega-sales or second hand -like Sedition Wars and Battlemasters- to use the minis in other wargames. However, as I get more into boardgames, I've really begun to appreciate the value of a well-done game box insert (thank you Small World) and the annoyance of a poorly designed one (LoTR deckbuilding with sleeved cards...).

Obviously inserts can be quite specialized, but I'm curious if there are any crap games (likely on deep discount) that you'd purchase (or have purchased) just for the box insert to use in a different game?

While we're on the subject, are their games you've purchased just for some other highly useful elements (not just for replacement parts)? I recently purchased a resale copy of Risk from the 60's. It was missing the cards, dice and plastic boxes, but I wanted the painted wooden cubes (super useful for wargame counters) for other uses and the whimsical kitchy board as a wall hanging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eilif wrote:
As a wargamer, there's a few games I've bought on mega-sales or second hand -like Sedition Wars and Battlemasters- to use the minis in other wargames. However, as I get more into boardgames, I've really begun to appreciate the value of a well-done game box insert (thank you Small World) and the annoyance of a poorly designed one (LoTR deckbuilding with sleeved cards...).

Obviously inserts can be quite specialized, but I'm curious if there are any crap games (likely on deep discount) that you'd purchase (or have purchased) just for the box insert to use in a different game?

While we're on the subject, are their games you've purchased just for some other highly useful elements (not just for replacement parts)? I recently purchased a resale copy of Risk from the 60's. It was missing the cards, dice and plastic boxes, but I wanted the painted wooden cubes (super useful for wargame counters) for other uses and the whimsical kitchy board as a wall hanging.

The first thing I do with a game is throw out the inserts. I cannot imagine ever buying a game for the inserts. I would have to be on some serious medication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, buying a game to get the insert is like adopting a dog to get fleas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a RPG gaming buddy that got into the D&D pre-painted plastic minis after they were discontinued and became pretty expensive on the second hand market. What he's been doing is picking up board games that contain minis just to use them in his RPG games. As mentioned in the OP, he looks for deep discounted games and then gets 1 (or even a few) for the figures.

So far, I've not bought a board game just for the parts. I have made the mistake of picking up a couple deeply discounted games hoping to find the hidden gem. So far though, it's been "you get what you pay for," so I've stopped that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The best inserts are those that have been designed for a specific game to hold its specific components. They wouldn't be so good for a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inserts? No. But I did occasionally, when first getting into thrifting games, buy some for the bits. I was mostly thinking of using them with my Cheap Ass games, but have since gotten rid of most of those (kept Light Speed and Enemy Chocolatier and a couple others), so my spare bits box mostly sits unused. I did take the nice plastic coins from Made for Trade to add to my copy of Castles of Burgundy. And I have a nice big jar full of dice. They came in handy the one time I played Throneworld as we needed to roll 50+ d6s at a time and the game comes with just a couple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased three deep discounted copies of Buccaneer just to cannibalize their parts for other games. Each comes with 25 colored big wooden disks, and a set of pretty good cardboard doubloons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Othello definitely isn't crap, but I need some two-sided tokens for games where you track action point usage and whatnot, and that might end up being the easiest way to get a bunch.

(Give each character one token per AP, and put one by the event deck or whatever the game uses, flip the character tokens as they take actions, then flip the one by the event deck during end-of-round events. AP tokens that don't match the token by the event deck have been used.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
Othello definitely isn't crap, but I need some two-sided tokens for games where you track action point usage and whatnot, and that might end up being the easiest way to get a bunch.

(Give each character one token per AP, and put one by the event deck or whatever the game uses, flip the character tokens as they take actions, then flip the one by the event deck during end-of-round events. AP tokens that don't match the token by the event deck have been used.)

Dang!

Never thought of that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eilif wrote:
While we're on the subject, are their games you've purchased just for some other highly useful elements (not just for replacement parts)?

You may well enjoy browsing the Thrift store games you buy just for the components geeklist.

There are a lot of games that are not known as great games but which are easily worth a few thrifty dollars purely for the bits, for PnP, prototyping, or customizing of other games.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not in this lifetime, not in the next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of mini's games are bought for the mini's not the game. Way too many to list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 2 copies of Duel of the Giants: Eastern Front on super clearance just for the sweet hex maps.

Pete (uses them in other games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't done this yet, but I've been sort of looking for a game with lots of mini meeples to replace the cubes in Bretagne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the same thing, but I have bought lots of used ASL maps over the years for use with Ogre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.