Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have a spacecraft at the Saturn Fly-By location in 1982 I can move to the Uranus Fly-By location, but how long does it take; 5 time tokens?

That would put the spacecraft at Uranus Fly-By in 1986, right?

What does the Saturn symbol in front of the time token mean?

Also, looking at the calendar, 1982 appears to be the last year to be able to do a Neptune Fly-By, which would be impossible if you are only arriving at Saturn Fly-By in 1982, correct?

It's funny how you think you understand the game until you try and teach it to someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Saturn Fly-By to Uranus Fly-By takes 5 yrs; 5 time tokens.

No, it would arrive in 1987.

The Saturn symbol means that you must resolve the Saturn location hazard when you leave its vicinity.

Correct, you need to be at Uranus Fly-By in 1982 to perform that slingshot maneuver to Neptune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McBrien
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
It's explained on page 9:
Quote:
Maneuver Hazards
Always face maneuver hazards in the order their symbols are written in. For example, going from Jupiter Orbit to Io, you face Jupiter's hazard immediately, then you may add time tokens, then on arrival you face landing and whatever hazard Io presents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys.

I've read the rules, but sometimes situations come up that make you question your understanding of said rules.

They make sense, too, because you'd be flying around the planet before moving on to the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick follow up to this original question.

If I have a spacecraft at Jupiter Fly-By and want to go to Saturn Fly-By, how do I know what the Jupiter hazard is if I do not survey Jupiter?

Can I just flip over Jupiter and deal with whatever hazard is on the Jupiter location and move on to Saturn Fly-By without revealing a Jupiter mission card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Facing a hazard is what causes the location card describing that hazard to flip over.

So when you maneuver from Lunar Orbit to the Moon, you face the moon hazard and flip the Moon card over to see what it is -- not because of the location you're going to, but because of the hazard on the maneuver you're performing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Joe.

My question is, does revealing the Jupiter location this way (by traveling from Jupiter Fly-By to Saturn Fly-By) cause you to draw a Jupiter mission?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I suspected, and how I played it, but I wanted to double check. It does limit your options for exploring beyond Jupiter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
Thanks, Joe.

My question is, does revealing the Jupiter location this way (by traveling from Jupiter Fly-By to Saturn Fly-By) cause you to draw a Jupiter mission?

Thanks!

Yes. Revealing Jupiter causes you to draw a Jupiter mission (if there is one that qualifies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I always thought Outer Planets Transfer was just if you missed a slingshot year (and could afford to make it work).

Now it seems like a good option to avoid Jupiter if you're trying to get to Saturn or beyond, but don't want to reveal additional missions you may not be able to accomplish.

Loving how the game continues to reveal new strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't using Outer Planets Transfer to get you to Jupiter still require it to be a slingshot year, as it starts with the symbol and is coloured red, just like the Venus slingshot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but in another number of years. And the advantage of OPT is that you can go there in any number of years you choose, so you can make your craft get there right when you need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was suggesting Outer Planets Transfer as a way to get beyond Jupiter without going revealing the Jupiter location via slingshot maneuvers.

Might be useful for scoring particular missions without having to draw Jupiter missions, that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.