Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played the two Roads games at the same time side by side? Does it work or are they just too disjointed or different?

It's probably right in front of my nose gulp but I'm not finding hex size (mi/km) and time (days/weeks) for both.

I'm considering trying it as I'm learning the Roads games in sort of the same manner that MMP's The Mighty Endeavor and it's companion eastern front expansion can be played together.

Thanks.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given it a go earlier this year:

There are no game-mechanisms in either title that enable a true combined-game, so you are basically playing two separate games side-by-side, and therefore actions on one side will not affect the other. In fact you could potentially end-up with the same panzer divisions fighting on both fronts.

I don't think it would be that difficult to join the games, but as of now that would have to be a home-grown option; no official rules exist to that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I figured if there was something like a rules "bridge" between the two to truly combine them there would be something in the Files. So what you're showing here is just what I have in mind. Sure it's really two separate games but the play and mechanics are similar so certainly it looks doable. So long as the turn duration and scale are similar. The question is did you enjoy it or was it too much a pain in the ... to where you wouldn't want to do it again?

Thanks Jakub!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely had some fun with it, but keep in mind that Victory Roads is a real beast compared to Liberty Roads, and so a turn in VR will take considerably longer than in LR. But since Overlord happened earlier than Bagration, you'll have a few quicker turns on the west-front before diving into the full game. And yes the mechanics are very similar indeed, with the biggest difference being in how support markers are allocated to the various Soviet fronts. This front-system in VR is somewhat clunky, but it does force the Soviet player to take operational-pauses to let the logistical network catch-up. Another thing I have found about this system is that the Allied players really need to push their armies hard to achieve historical results, and that's something I enjoy because it makes it a bit of a puzzle. On the German side it's a totally defensive game, but there are some opportunities for strategic counter-attacks, especially in the winter turns. Anyways, I do recommend you try both out, and I'd be interested to hear how you make out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex = 25km or 15 miles.
Turn = 10 days (June -August) and 15 days (September -May).
It says so on the back of the box.

3 Pz/PzG are withdrawn from Russia between November and December and return in February, these might be FB, FG and 25th PzG which appear in the west around those dates. The big troop transfers also get to russia just after the bulge; 6 panzer, 3 panzer-grenadier and 4 infantry. Exactly which divisions are withdrawn from the west is up to the German but what is recieved in the east is fixed unless you risk mixing counters between games. The panzers are 1st, 2nd, 9th, 10th and 12th SS Pz and 21st Pz. You could split the sides so player 1 has eastern Germans and western allies whilst player 2 has western Germans and Communists. In this scheme the withdrawals and strategic reserve could be tied to Hitler Humeur. If Hitler is happier with the west than the east at the start of 1945 6th SS Panzer Army stays on the Rhine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.