Popular Tags: outdoors [+] [View All]
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in rainy Washington and the closest to outdoor hex-and-counter gaming I had was a game of Cross of Iron in my friends shed.

Have you ever played a cardboard wargame outdoors?

Poll
Have you played a wargame outdoors?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
39.0% 76
No
61.0% 119
Voters 195
This poll is now closed.   195 answers
Poll created by eltorosailor
Closes: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:00 am

Comments and stories welcome.

Game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a Euro (Eons) outdoors a couple of years ago. One of the others dropped a bit. It fell below a slatted wood floor and we couldn't retrieve it.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played ASL on our deck by the pool.

Keith T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What is this "outdoors" that you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
outdoor deck in Monterey, CA multiple times

but that is kind of cheating since there's only about 15-20 crappy weather days each year there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played MB Gamemaster games outside in my youth, but no cardboard.

Although I once played Star Fleet Battles in a state park, in one of those shitty little ramshackle public cabins that smell bad. That was nearly outside... although more like playing inside a crate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
World in Flames on a friend's patio, before and after barbecuing. We played the entire game outside - about 8 day-long sessions.
A House Divided on an outside terrace at the Monash Uni student union building, circa 1988. Also Flat Top and Pax Britannica.

...and dozens of rpgs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern Conciergerie Easylife
France
Crolles
France
flag msg tools
Solo soul
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a park nearby some years ago, where I lived, and I recall myself some good games of Race for the Galaxy and RoboRally during summer, under the big trees cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and a friend of mine were working for a temp agency one summer, and they sent us out to cook steaks at an electronics convention for a few days. We were set up outside, and between lunch and dinner breaks we would set up War at Sea in the trunk of my car. We played the heck out of that thing. We also got to go inside and check out the electronics, including a sneak peek at a new device called a VCR (kind of dates me, doesn't it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't all wargames be played in the environs of the situation that it's depicting?

If it's a Bulge game, you should play outside in the cold and snow.
If playing Operation Typhoon, you should be knee deep in mud
If playing North Africa, you should be sitting in a sand box in the middle of summer.
If playing Guadacanal, you should be in a jungle in oppressive heat (bonus if you have a case of the runs)
If simulating a sea battle, you should be on a boat rocking back and forth
If playing an air battle, you should be on a plane with the tray table down.

Making photocopies of all components is highly advisable in any of the above situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a complete demo of COD WARS: Iceland vs. Great Britain in the 1970s on the tailgate of a pickup truck.

Full disclosure: the ships are plastic but the fish tokens are cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife celebrated our 25th anniversary by visiting Normandy. Here are 2 photographs of me playing a couple of my own games. Back to Blighty and The Lone Tank.
The games were played on an upper veranda, the first floor was blown away during the battle of Normandy and had to be rebuilt. Not only is this outdoors but Back to Blighty is played where the game is set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to play Friedland with a friend of mine Jay outside the Cesar Chavez Student Center/UC Berkeley in the early 90's. Usually had a small cloud (of usually) Asian students watching us play with rapt fascination but polite enough to let us just play our game. I seem to recall there was this issue of seagull droppings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I have played block games outdoors. Never tried cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest thing I can recall to playing a wargame "outdoors" is when I played SPI's War of the Ring, a big multi-paper-(not the mounted version)-map game set up on the floor of our dorm room. At some point we left to eat lunch, not thinking about the fact that our room's windows were open. It got windy. We returned to find the maps and counters blown all over the room... :/

It is possible that long ago I played the original tiny $2.95 Ogre or some other microgame outdoors, but I don't remember for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only game I ever played outside was MTG, and that was only because I used to smoke in my teens, used to paint Warhammer when the weather was good though.

Now I'm in the city proper it's impossible, with all the parks and Victorian builds Stoneygate is one giant wind tunnel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played outdoors in a local park and my porch on sunny days. It is quite pleasant. Anything more than a very light breeze can be a problem.

Block wargames, games that use miniatures and games that use other substantial pieces work better. Card games are very vulnerable to an unexpected gusts and are not practical for outside play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Did a complete demo of COD WARS: Iceland vs. Great Britain in the 1970s on the tailgate of a pickup truck.

Full disclosure: the ships are plastic but the fish tokens are cardboard.

Is that the ONLY disclosure you want to make, Pete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe I have, and the idea is very unappealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob m
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
Yup, ASL, Up Front, Space Hulk (3rd), Nexus Ops, Last Night on Earth, etc. Live in AZ though, weather is not so much the problem as the stinking cats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
xmfcnrx wrote:
there was this issue of seagull droppings.

aka "sh*thawks"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mbmbmbmbmb

Outside? Perish the thought! Exposing the counters to the elements would fade them. Even in San Diego, there have been occasions of sudden cloudbursts... like that one time back in '77 or thereabouts.

In addition, it's heresy.

The closest I've come is having the garage door open to allow a little extra light and fresh air.

- Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually used to take games camping up in the White Mountains of NH.

I think they were Yaquinto games. The pieces, rules and charts would be in a 1 inch think album sized box. Then, just like a double album phonographic record album cover, the front would open up to reveal the map. So the box turned in to the map you could say.

Very convenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Diplomacy outdoors, which was a lot of fun, but the version we had was the one with wood blocks.

I played Go outside a few times and it was enjoyable, too.

I think I prefer playing boardgames indoors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.