3 Posts

Evolution» Forums » Variants

Subject: Play with Kids or Teaching the Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G

Colorado
msg tools
Not sure this really classifies as a "variant", but whenever I play with my kids, we play with open scoring. Instead of hiding the food in the bag, we line up stacks of 5 so it's easy to see who's ahead and by how much.

My 8-year-old daughter loves this game, we've played it nearly every day this summer. When we used the bags, the food would just go away. But when it's out, her focus is on how many pieces she gets each turn (because she has to count the stacks), and she'll compare our stacks. It just changes the focus from 'building cool animals' to 'how effective are my animals'. When the whole family plays together, it also helps the kids' carnivores decide whose species to go after.

I found the same tactic worked when I taught my wife to play. Having stacks of food out effectively demonstrates how two or three extra pieces of food per round can quickly turn into a huge lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it this way! I always assumed it would lead to a king-making problem on the last turn of the game. But I can see how it's a nice benefit when playing with the entire family.

Please let me know if the last round turns into an issue with your family. It's something I'd be interested in hearing about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad P
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the fact that points are a secret adds a lot of interesting tension to the game - while also allowing players to focus more on the current turn. Removing it has decreases the fun factor (in my experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.