Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Garrisons and Support Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael edwards
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Quick question pertaining to Garrisons and support.

Say any given starting house area on the map is empty save for its garrison. This garrison is then attacked by someone. Can this garrison be supported by adjacent areas with the support token?

We know combat cards are played like normal but the game says that only units can be supported and the book says garrisons are not units but it also says combat occurs AS NORMAL.

We are not looking for a long winded post about this, that or the other, we looked online and found other threads that did not clearly answer the question and derailed.

Thank you for your time and effort.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bouvond wrote:
the game says that only units can be supported


I haven't found anything that says that.

Rulebook, Page 17, says:

"Support may be given to any adjacent combat, whether a
supporting player’s own forces are in the combat, or the combat is
between two other players."


Yes, units in adjacent areas MAY contribute Support to a Garrison, just as units MAY contribute Support to units attacking a Garrison.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rulebook p. 26 wrote:
If there are no
units defending a location with a Garrison token, combat still
occurs
as normal as if the Garrison was a single unit.

You can support a home area that is defending only with a garrison token (just as if it were a single unit).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Garrisons basically count as an immobile knight unit. All normal combat rules apply, including supporting and playing house cards. Only difference is that you can't place order tokens on them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben Dijkstra
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Vardaine wrote:
Correct. Garrisons basically count as an immobile knight unit. All normal combat rules apply, including supporting and playing house cards. Only difference is that you can't place order tokens on them.


Not the only difference.
The Garrison token doesn't count as a unit for the supply track either.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Yegiazaryan
Russia
Ekaterinburg
Sverdlovsk region
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TorbenD wrote:
Vardaine wrote:
Correct. Garrisons basically count as an immobile knight unit. All normal combat rules apply, including supporting and playing house cards. Only difference is that you can't place order tokens on them.


Not the only difference.
The Garrison token doesn't count as a unit for the supply track either.


Does Garrison token counts when units from the same area support someone?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
avari_aka wrote:
Does Garrison token counts when units from the same area support someone?


No. The Rulebook states on page 26:

"A Garrison’s strength is only used when its area is
attacked, not for support or any other purpose."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
avari_aka wrote:
Does Garrison token counts when units from the same area support someone?


No. The Rulebook states on page 26:

"A Garrison’s strength is only used when its area is
attacked, not for support or any other purpose."

It would be simpler to just say: garrison is not a unit.
So it doesn't support, get orders or use supply.

The only exception is for combat in home area, where even alone garrison triggers this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.