Recommend
37 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Decided card cases had got boring :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
Well 5 years since I made my first card cases and eventually got tired of making the same square 288.5mm insert boxes every time.(there are only so many possible permutations of a square)

Thought I'd make something a bit different














47 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm stunned. That's some fantastic woodworking right there! Do you use it to hold all of your card games in one spot? I've often been tempted by that sort of solution.

Is it portable? Do you have pictures of it fully loaded? How heavy is it?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slight overkill on a box to hold a bunch of cards; looks quite professional though!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
aaj94 wrote:
Wow, I'm stunned. That's some fantastic woodworking right there! Do you use it to hold all of your card games in one spot? I've often been tempted by that sort of solution.

Is it portable? Do you have pictures of it fully loaded? How heavy is it?


Thanks It all came about after I finished doing the Mr Craft inserts years ago. The std box is 288.5mm square and with all the different permutations they ended up being quite heavy (and over priced to make) so I walked away from doing them. Still have an avid interest so thought about doing something in the same vein but inside a scale model as well (it's 28mm scale) hence the house I've done a few different types now but overall this one is my favourite Complete with 80 dividers it weighs 1.8kg. hehehehe Have a look at my reply below to see about storing all my games in one place
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
smithlucas wrote:
slight overkill on a box to hold a bunch of cards; looks quite professional though!


You think that is overkill? try this

20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What no love for the Castle style?

Just kidding I think they are fantastic!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
bakermouse wrote:
What no love for the Castle style?

Just kidding I think they are fantastic!


Thanks I've got quite a few different types to cut out when time allows castles are one of them

At some point if they are popular I may do that Kickstarter thing but at the moment the day work takes precident (I run a laser cutting company so have quite a few machines I can use) so chopping out stainless steel door plates and toilet splashbacks has to rule the workflow
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you model the Amityville Horror house on purpose?

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
tempus42 wrote:
Did you model the Amityville Horror house on purpose?



Yup, Christopher Q (Chris Lutz) is a personal friend so he was a great help with dimensions and suchlike. The dimensions are actually architecturally correct thanks to Chris
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OPLS wrote:
Yup, Christopher Q (Chris Lutz) is a personal friend so he was a great help with dimensions and suchlike. The dimensions are actually architecturally correct thanks to Chris


Cool! So what game gets stored in there, then? Arkham Horror? The Amityville Project: Phobos?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
tempus42 wrote:

Cool! So what game gets stored in there, then? Arkham Horror? The Amityville Project: Phobos?


As yet very little, I'm a big fan of all things Lovecraftian so have done Danvers as well but work and this kind of thing takes up any game time I had
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow awesome work, has me really excited to plan with my laser cutter whenever it shows up.

Really great work, great detail on everything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Contrary to seemingly most BGG, I'm trying to find motives to get rid of games.
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Since we're talking about overkill in card storage, I'll just leave that here.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
Nicolas Weiss wrote:
Since we're talking about overkill in card storage, I'll just leave that here.


That's really impressive
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
amish_rabbi wrote:
Wow awesome work, has me really excited to plan with my laser cutter whenever it shows up.

Really great work, great detail on everything.


Thanks What model laser are you getting? the Amity case was done on a 2.5m x 1.25m 240 watt
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicolas Weiss wrote:
Since we're talking about overkill in card storage, I'll just leave that here.




And then you need that one card. Now where did I put it . . . .
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OPLS wrote:
amish_rabbi wrote:
Wow awesome work, has me really excited to plan with my laser cutter whenever it shows up.

Really great work, great detail on everything.


Thanks What model laser are you getting? the Amity case was done on a 2.5m x 1.25m 240 watt

The glowforge if you have heard of it. It's just a 12" X 20" 40 watt but for 2k and a USA company I couldn't say no.. and my fiance was excited to try it as well so I didn't even have to fight to justify it lol. Do you do strictly lasers or waterjet as well?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
amish_rabbi wrote:
OPLS wrote:
amish_rabbi wrote:
Wow awesome work, has me really excited to plan with my laser cutter whenever it shows up.

Really great work, great detail on everything.


Thanks What model laser are you getting? the Amity case was done on a 2.5m x 1.25m 240 watt

The glowforge if you have heard of it. It's just a 12" X 20" 40 watt but for 2k and a USA company I couldn't say no.. and my fiance was excited to try it as well so I didn't even have to fight to justify it lol. Do you do strictly lasers or waterjet as well?


Yup I've heard of it my email fills up on a daily basis with questions about it. I wish I could say I support the machine but there are some technical irregularities with much of what they are saying ...
I had a waterjet but noise and mess made it a nightmare so now pretty much most of the stuff I do is Lasercut. Last count I have 16 lasers and 3 more inbound.
I'm seriously kicking round the idea of doing possibly a kickstarter for some of the game cases but also making the actual cutting files available the same way for folks who have lasers so people could make their own to use and sell if they wanted to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OPLS wrote:
amish_rabbi wrote:
OPLS wrote:
amish_rabbi wrote:
Wow awesome work, has me really excited to plan with my laser cutter whenever it shows up.

Really great work, great detail on everything.


Thanks What model laser are you getting? the Amity case was done on a 2.5m x 1.25m 240 watt

The glowforge if you have heard of it. It's just a 12" X 20" 40 watt but for 2k and a USA company I couldn't say no.. and my fiance was excited to try it as well so I didn't even have to fight to justify it lol. Do you do strictly lasers or waterjet as well?


Yup I've heard of it my email fills up on a daily basis with questions about it. I wish I could say I support the machine but there are some technical irregularities with much of what they are saying ...
I had a waterjet but noise and mess made it a nightmare so now pretty much most of the stuff I do is Lasercut. Last count I have 16 lasers and 3 more inbound.
I'm seriously kicking round the idea of doing possibly a kickstarter for some of the game cases but also making the actual cutting files available the same way for folks who have lasers so people could make their own to use and sell if they wanted to.


Yea i wouldnt pay the 4.5k it is now but for 2k it seemed worth it. Not a trotec but it will do for tinkering.

Yea thats a common complaint with waterjet, I design alot of stuff in steel and aluminum for laser and waterjet at my day job, like the waterjet but for steel less than 1/2 man do i love the finish from some of the new fibre lasers.

That would be a cool/appreciated kickstarter im sure, and with more maker spaces popping up with laser cutters I bet alot of guys would like designs to play with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
amish_rabbi wrote:
OPLS wrote:
amish_rabbi wrote:
OPLS wrote:
amish_rabbi wrote:
Wow awesome work, has me really excited to plan with my laser cutter whenever it shows up.

Really great work, great detail on everything.


Thanks What model laser are you getting? the Amity case was done on a 2.5m x 1.25m 240 watt

The glowforge if you have heard of it. It's just a 12" X 20" 40 watt but for 2k and a USA company I couldn't say no.. and my fiance was excited to try it as well so I didn't even have to fight to justify it lol. Do you do strictly lasers or waterjet as well?


Yup I've heard of it my email fills up on a daily basis with questions about it. I wish I could say I support the machine but there are some technical irregularities with much of what they are saying ...
I had a waterjet but noise and mess made it a nightmare so now pretty much most of the stuff I do is Lasercut. Last count I have 16 lasers and 3 more inbound.
I'm seriously kicking round the idea of doing possibly a kickstarter for some of the game cases but also making the actual cutting files available the same way for folks who have lasers so people could make their own to use and sell if they wanted to.


Yea i wouldnt pay the 4.5k it is now but for 2k it seemed worth it. Not a trotec but it will do for tinkering.

Yea thats a common complaint with waterjet, I design alot of stuff in steel and aluminum for laser and waterjet at my day job, like the waterjet but for steel less than 1/2 man do i love the finish from some of the new fibre lasers.

That would be a cool/appreciated kickstarter im sure, and with more maker spaces popping up with laser cutters I bet alot of guys would like designs to play with.


Done...stuck it on KS....including Laser ready files so folks can make and sell their own if they want to
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool! you may want to list the minimum required laser size/power though so people know before buying. You could scale the files obviously, but I think people would like the info.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
amish_rabbi wrote:
Cool! you may want to list the minimum required laser size/power though so people know before buying. You could scale the files obviously, but I think people would like the info.


Great point my friend

Off to do it now
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
Got absolutely slammed with requests to re-release the original card cases I did 5 years ago so have added them at a discount backer price to the KS campaign
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sheldrake
Wales
Llanddowror
Dyfed
flag msg tools
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opticalpower/game-store...

After being slammed with requests for a basic low price case it had to be done I guess
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.