Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last (and really only) update we got from Ares in March was that they now (on their new extra 5 months schedule) expected the product to be shipping from China to their warehouses in early to late July.

Of course Ares hasn't said a word about it in 4 months.

So just wondering, is the product shipping or about to ship from China?

Or will Ares wait until say, late August, to tell their hapless customers that they need 5 more months (which I realize that some customers think is a great way to do business)?

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per their website, the new target is September.

http://www.aresgames.eu/16433
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh---no, that is the target of when customers are supposed to get the product which is not what I discuss above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Sigh---no, that is the target of when customers are supposed to get the product which is not what I discuss above.

It will arrive in due course and there's nothing you can do to change that. Meanwhile, playing the games you already have beats sighing over the ones you don't all hollow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how long ago and how much money people have prepaid, the occasional update would be nice. Every time I see a new update on their Facebook page, I am somewhat disappointed when its yet another game besides this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere,

I know you are probably right. And I know your wisdom and have agreed with your point of view in many discussions here.

But I do think that Ares has been lacking in the communication department.

I was a backer of Ogre and had no complaints. That was all because SJG practiced common decency in regards to communicating with their customers.

My post has the aim of pushing Ares towards that same decency.

Lance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
Considering how long ago and how much money people have prepaid, the occasional update would be nice. Every time I see a new update on their Facebook page, I am somewhat disappointed when its yet another game besides this one.

I'd rather see them spend their time working on the game than issuing regular updates.

Seems to me like people need an awful lot of hand holding these days. I fondly remember the days when the News folders for games weren't used often, but when they were it was newsworthy more often than not. Nowadays they get pinged continuously by people asking "Any News???".

Roberto and crew have established their credibility beyond any reasonable doubt with prior projects. I'm sure they'll provide updates as necessary when they actually have something worth saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Seems to me like people need an awful lot of hand holding these days. I fondly remember the days when the News folders for games weren't used often, but when they were it was newsworthy more often than not. Nowadays they get pinged continuously by people asking "Any News???".

You can thank Kickstarter. Any preorder system people expect to be given updates like it's a kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere,

Which of those fondly remembered games involved you fronting $360?

And just to be clear, this is the General forum.

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Sphere,

I know you are probably right. And I know your wisdom and have agreed with your point of view in many discussions here.

But I do think that Ares has been lacking in the communication department.

I was a backer of Ogre and had no complaints. That was all because SJG practiced common decency in regards to communicating with their customers.

My post has the aim of pushing Ares towards that same decency.

Lance.

Was writing my response to Marty when you posted this. Basically I think what said in that one covers it but I'll rephrase: Roberto and Ares are decent, and don't need pushing to be so. I think the net effect of threads like this is more of a distraction than a boost. I know that when I was working, having the boss come in to ask about progress never boosted my productivity. Mostly it was just an irritation I had to deal with before I could get back to work.

(True confessions: I have to go a long way back to remember such situations. I was fortunate enough to have nothing but good bosses over my last 20 years of work - two of them I got to choose for myself and the other two understood that I worked best if they weren't bugging me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
You can thank Kickstarter.

I thank Kickstarter every day of my life. whistle

lancemoody wrote:
Which of those fondly remembered games involved you fronting $360?

War of the Ring Collector's Edition?

ObsoleteThree wrote:
And just to be clear, this is the General forum.

Yes, but in my mind it's no different than the "Any News???" threads. And I now share the guilt in raising its profile; if it gets enough attention Roberto will be tasked with pouring oil on the waters. (My apologies in advance, Roberto!).
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah yes, announced in October 2009 for a December 2009 release and delivered (slightly late) from January-March 2010 Maybe as late as May 2010 for the second wave).

I might add that during that short period Nexus made several communications about it with their customers.

Ares took 10 months on the Anniversary edition and then (just before it was due to ship) took another 5 months.

Can you see any difference?

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And Ares did update the Collectors Edition progress on a semi regular basis, as opposed to the near blackout this edition seems to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maxfield
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But that company went under after that as well. Mistakes were made, which is why the rest of the game companies remain conscientious now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, providing the occasional update is what put Nexus out of business, forgot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Aug if there is no update i would ask for one. But I think its on track if not they will let us know. Sept is just around the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like when they waited until March to say it wasn't going to ship in April as originally promised?

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We Playthrough
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Relax. There is no need to be so moody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Im happy to wait for this game I new they where doing it over a year ago and had to wait for it to become 100% sure they where doing it and then have to wait a year for it to come together. Im ok waiting till Xmas if i had to. happy happy joy joy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lancemoody wrote:

Ah yes, announced in October 2009 for a December 2009 release and delivered (slightly late) from January-March 2010 Maybe as late as May 2010 for the second wave).

I might add that during that short period Nexus made several communications about it with their customers.

Ares took 10 months on the Anniversary edition and then (just before it was due to ship) took another 5 months.

Can you see any difference?

Lance

Yes! I see a huge difference (just YUUUGE). The first CE wave was a paltry number of copies. Waaaaay less than the 2000 that Ares targeted for the AR (400 I think) The second wave was then about 9 mos. out. You have to account for both time frames to consider the project completion, so 9 mos. In contrast, Ares targeted ONE wave of 10 mos. for the AR. How is that any difference at all?

Before you answer, yes, then they had a 5 month delay. OK, you can be pissed about that, but at the time of the CE, Ares was NOT trying to deliver a new expansion (WoME), the release of which overlapped the AR, not to mention wrapping up a kickstarter for a truly colossal project Sword & Sorcery, the release of which also coincides with the time frame of the AR.

So, do you see the difference in delivering at least three large projects simultaneously over delivering one?

I myself will not be pissed, in fact I will be happy that they stuck to their time frame for all of these projects (all of which I am a happy purchaser) as well as I've ever seen any publisher do yet.

Thank you, Ares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have different definitions of "sticking to a time frame" I think!

And the idea that "they made a lot of commitments so you can't really expect them to honor them!" isn't one that jibes with my own perhaps myopic vision of how business ought be done.

Sure--I'm not mad. I just thought it was sort of a dick move to not say anything about the delay until just before it was supposed to ship.

I realize that some folks LOVE the way they handled it!

So as far as we know, they aren't late for the second time on this expensive product. But now we know that the new schedule depends upon the product shipping out of the factory to warehouses pretty soon. So I was just asking if that was still on schedule. Not sure how writing a few words to say so would delay anything.

You may not want to know anything about delays or shipping or whatever-- more power to you. You would have LOVED the UpFront Kickstarter!

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in an update - but if there isn't one, I'm happy just to wait.

Updates aren't going to get the game out any quicker.

Before the Internet (the majority of my life) you just waited until things arrived or appeared without announcement in the shops. I never had any problem with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Was writing my response to Marty when you posted this. Basically I think what said in that one covers it but I'll rephrase: Roberto and Ares are decent, and don't need pushing to be so. I think the net effect of threads like this is more of a distraction than a boost. I know that when I was working, having the boss come in to ask about progress never boosted my productivity. Mostly it was just an irritation I had to deal with before I could get back to work.

(True confessions: I have to go a long way back to remember such situations. I was fortunate enough to have nothing but good bosses over my last 20 years of work - two of them I got to choose for myself and the other two understood that I worked best if they weren't bugging me.)

I don't understand the responses that appear in these types of threads. Ares told their customers they had a milestone in July. It's the second week of July and since we haven't heard anything from Ares someone asked for an update as to whether or not they're going to hit this milestone. That's a reasonable request.

I'm not concerned that Ares is going to disappear with my money, but just because they have a good reputation doesn't mean they can't improve. I pre-ordered on day 1, but I never had any communication directly from Ares when the original delivery date was delayed. I found out when I happened across a thread here on BGG. An email would have been nice.

As for some of the common responses on these threads, the game is at the factory; what work are they doing that they can't type a 3 sentence update? Plus their business is selling to customers so part of their work already involves communicating with customers.

As for bosses looking over your shoulder, I agree, I don't like people looking over my shoulder all the time either. But if you have a deadline to meet and your boss isn't getting any progress updates from you, then not asking you for an update makes them a terrible manager not a good boss. Ignoring schedules increases the risk of projects being delayed. Very rarely does ignoring schedules help projects meet deadlines.

Anyway sorry for the rant. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when a reasonable (imho) request for communication from a company gets sidetracked (like we apparently shouldn't worry about no communication because Ares has lots of other projects going on right now compared to when it released the CE? How does that make sense?).

TLDR: I think Ares is a good company, but at least on this project some improvement in providing updates might be useful for customers and for Ares (I think that it'd take them less time to send out a regular monthly update even if it says "no news this month" than it would to read through internet threads like this one).

Also, my apologies if I've missed an update from Ares on the delivery date somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaakko Tusa
Finland
Hämeenlinna
flag msg tools
badge
I find your lack of faith disturbing
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that what Bruce wrote. It is small effort to make an update, but it will have huge value to customers. ANY information is appreciated, since customers cannot possibly know what is going on in company. When there is no info, all the speculation starts right a way, and that won't help anyone.

(this was more like common statement about sharing information in these kind of projects, not solely to Ares)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wAbout wrote:
I'll second that what Bruce wrote. It is small effort to make an update, but it will have huge value to customers.

That "huge value" is entirely subjective. It has no value whatsoever to me if they are just shaking the bush and saying they really have nothing new to report, and doing so because they've been hounded into it. On the contrary, it's a waste of my time to come here and read that nothing has changed.

And it's a bigger waste of my time trying to suggest patience. The facebooking, tweeting, instagramming, snapchatting people of tomorrow have arrived. They want their maypo updates on a schedule they choose, not when somebody inside the company who actually knows what's going on decides the time is right.

I need some time away from this place. If I never logged into BGG again I'd still get my game just as quick as anybody else does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.