Finland
Hämeenlinna
flag msg tools
badge
I find your lack of faith disturbing
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
wAbout wrote:
I'll second that what Bruce wrote. It is small effort to make an update, but it will have huge value to customers.

That "huge value" is entirely subjective. It has no value whatsoever to me if they are just shaking the bush and saying they really have nothing new to report, and doing so because they've been hounded into it. On the contrary, it's a waste of my time to come here and read that nothing has changed.

And it's a bigger waste of my time trying to suggest patience. The facebooking, tweeting, instagramming, snapchatting people of tomorrow have arrived. They want their maypo updates on a schedule they choose, not when somebody inside the company who actually knows what's going on decides the time is right.

I need some time away from this place. If I never logged into BGG again I'd still get my game just as quick as anybody else does.

Well maybe "huge" is not proper word here, but I'd rather hear that they are still doing some changes or there has been delay because of reason x / whatever, than hear nothing from them. Maybe that's just me, but I really want to know where things are, especially when deal involves money. I'd think that paying customers form "an obligation" to inform how things are processing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
That "huge value" is entirely subjective. It has no value whatsoever to me if they are just shaking the bush and saying they really have nothing new to report, and doing so because they've been hounded into it. On the contrary, it's a waste of my time to come here and read that nothing has changed.

And it's a bigger waste of my time trying to suggest patience. The facebooking, tweeting, instagramming, snapchatting people of tomorrow have arrived. They want their maypo updates on a schedule they choose, not when somebody inside the company who actually knows what's going on decides the time is right.

I need some time away from this place. If I never logged into BGG again I'd still get my game just as quick as anybody else does.

Except that's not what was asked. AFAIK OP wasn't on here every day demanding information. Ares had a milestone on a schedule that Ares chose and now that we've reached the deadline that Ares set some of us wouldn't mind hearing whether Ares is going to meet that milestone. It has nothing to do with patience (but does have something to do with good business practice).

I understand that some people don't care about updates, but it was a reasonable request for an update and suggesting that anyone who dares ask for information is somehow equivalent to an impatient toddler making demands is IMHO ridiculous and counterproductive. Especially since if Ares did put out a regular update threads like this would disappear quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawkman81 wrote:

I don't understand the responses that appear in these types of threads. Ares told their customers they had a milestone in July. It's the second week of July and since we haven't heard anything from Ares someone asked for an update as to whether or not they're going to hit this milestone. That's a reasonable request......

As for bosses looking over your shoulder, I agree, I don't like people looking over my shoulder all the time either. But if you have a deadline to meet and your boss isn't getting any progress updates from you, then not asking you for an update makes them a terrible manager not a good boss. Ignoring schedules increases the risk of projects being delayed. Very rarely does ignoring schedules help projects meet deadlines.

QFT.

I don't know of any other industry in the world where delays in product delivery are treated with such resigned enthusiasm. Sure no one dies if a game isn't delivered on time but what if the game was a nice present for a significant occasion? Was it unreasonable for the purchaser to believe that the delivery date offered by the publisher could be trusted?

Product quality and delivery are expressed factors in any contract for which there is consideration. Yet not only does the games industry pay scant regard to the issue of programme, astoundingly, many customers vociferously defend the publisher's right to be late and to leave customers in the dark once revised dates are past. With the common cry of 'don't rush it, make sure you get it right' being so often echoed across these pages, why should a publisher ever bother to strive to achieve a dead line?

The obvious answer should be that a realistic achievable programme should be factored into the announced delivery date and it's not as if such things are impossible. Jamey Stegmaier puts the majority of the industry to shame, not just by dispatching his games before the due date but by also keeping his customers regularly informed of progress. He shows exactly how it should be done and it's time the rest of the industry woke up and adopted his business model.

It has nothing to do with whether the people behind a launch are decent or otherwise. Business transactions need to be executed in an efficient fashion and 'well meaning' is rarely an expression used to describe a professional who is on top of their game. Posting out a few lines once a fortnight does not power down the production line, however those regular updates do curb sh*t-storms* like this.

The OP asked a very reasonable question in a very level, polite and reasonable way. The subsequent rebukes were uncalled for and do the authors no credit.

* At the time of posting, this is a baby sh*t-storm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little snarky in my OP.

I love Ares--I do buy their games. I have bought WOTR now 3 times plus several expansions plus an upgrade kit.

I know that Roberto is a great guy!

I just don't agree that the kind of communication we have seen is a good thing.

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy jo jim Bob
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
rotting rubbish heap of a world
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawkman81 wrote:
I found out when I happened across a thread here on BGG. An email would have been nice.

(emphasis added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've read this far ... I'm not sure what you all are picturing (FFG? WOTC?) but Ares is a really small operation.

I've made some hot cocoa with marshmallows while we all wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True they're a small operation, but a couple hours blocked out every 2-3 months to send out some updates to paying customers isn't that big of an ask.

I've been at full froth since I read the announcement a year ago and was extremely disappointed when I found out about the delay. If there will be another delay I'd be much happier hearing about it now rather than at the end of August.

People are excited to get this game. I guess I'm just saying they could do a better job keeping people informed so they stay excited that they preordered.

And maybe they should do a better job estimating release dates whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Well, I've read this far ... I'm not sure what you all are picturing (FFG? WOTC?) but Ares is a really small operation.

And we all know it's impossible for a small operation to provide regular updates on their products. shake

No one is asking for multi-page essays every week. Just better information flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang it! Caught by the logic police.

More cocoa is in order:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently this thread helped.

https://www.facebook.com/AresGames/posts/1056907251023276

AE will ship from factory in Septemer, so probably a delivery this autumn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
Apparently this thread helped.

https://www.facebook.com/AresGames/posts/1056907251023276

AE will ship from factory in Septemer, so probably a delivery this autumn.

Here's the first response to this thread, posted 5 minutes after the O.P.:

fubar awol wrote:
Per their website, the new target is September.

http://www.aresgames.eu/16433

Your facebook link tells us nothing we didn't already know, and how you conclude that this thread on BGG 'helped' elicit a posting on Facebook eludes me, but congratulations.
How long do you suggest we should give them before starting the next thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about you actually read what people post?

The target in your post is a delivery/shipping estimate, their facebook post is a "leaving factory" in september. This is not at all the same thing.

Think before you post is sometimes a good policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So yes, that is something we didn't already know, despite the knee jerk defense above.

We now have no idea what that means for actual delivery. The original revised schedule had the product shipping out of factory in early or late July and being delivered to hapless customers in September.

So does that now mean that Ares expects maybe a November delivery?

Who knows?

For some here the only important thing is be sure that lowly customers never ask when the product they paid for more than a year ago is going to be delivered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lance

Quite whining!

Ask for a refund and be done with it.

Quite frankly I'm sick of your constant complaining.

Relax it'll be here when it gets here.

Your crying about it won't get it here any sooner.

Bah wa wa wa. Give it a rest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
School's out. And the thread moves to a new high-level of intellectual debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen, your comment isn't really constructive or appreciated. Lance has brought up a valid point of view about this process. Ares, while a great company, has been ambiguous and extremely tardy regarding information flow to all of us who have paid handsomely for this product.

While I agree with you at least that complaining will not hasten the development or shipping process, we all have the right to voice a legitimate displeasure with how Ares have chosen to do business with paying customers.

The fact that we had to find out about what is likely another delay from a Facebook post rather than direct contact via email and at the last possible moment yet again just ahead of a self-imposed deadline doesn't inspire confidence.

That being said I do have confidence that they will deliver an exceptional product worthy of the price tag. It will of course all be worth it in the end when we get down to the shipped product. It would just be nice to be treated as a valued customer who gave ~$400 to a company now over a year ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ares has kindly provided some more info on their Facebook page.

I asked there about expected delivery date to customers and here is the reply:

Quote:
"Could still be September, but we can be more accurate as the production is closer to being completed."

So that is good news, I think.

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I never said he did not have the "Right" to whine.

I just said stop whining! He can whine all he wants.

And he can be snarky, as he admits he has been in his own words;

he has that Right too. But I guess you would also call his being snarky

"the right to voice a legitimate displeasure."

I swear people need to have some patience!

And it is a legitimate point to remind him he can get a refund.

It seems as thought he forgot that. I was just legitimately reminding

him. It is not as if he is out of options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Constantinople wrote:

I swear people need to have some patience!

Would that include you needing to exercise patience with Lance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If copies haven't been received by the end of September and there hasnt been any related news on the Ares website or their Facebook page, October may be a good time to ask for an update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're having such a positive discourse...

Stephen

Quit whining!

Stop reading Lance's posts and be done with it.

Quite frankly I'm sick of your constant complaining.

Relax you can enjoy the internet without reading Lance's posts.

Your crying about it won't stop people from asking reasonable questions.

Bah wa wa wa. Give it a rest!

(Sorry couldn't resist. whistle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Ares the following
is there a possibility that some of them will be done and can be shipped out in stages??
THU 5:17PM

Ares Reply:
No, the last cardboard and tray components are all ready at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Really original Bruce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Constantinople wrote:
Really original Bruce.

Yup, it's just as original as telling someone to stop asking for updates because it won't help them get the game any sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cocoa ineffective. Unsubscribing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.