Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Barony» Forums » Rules

Subject: Board setup procedure and the formation of holes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

What restrictions are there (or should there be) on how the territory tiles are to be joined/placed in order to build the game board, independent of any randomness of the actual tile selection? I.e., can "holes" be formed when joining tiles? These holes would essentially function like additional lakes and, I would think, disrupt the (carefully?/precisely?) designed distribution of hex terrain types. What about forming one long string (or loop) of tiles by connecting individual hexes to only one other hex on another tile? The rules and other forums here are silent on this. There ought to be some suggested/recommended procedure for how to do this in order to obtain the best possible play experience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Answering my own question, I think ...

I just saw this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1390506/how-should-board-loo...

Apparently, "you can actually do whatever you want. You just can't have any holes."

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
Answering my own question, I think ...

I just saw this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1390506/how-should-board-loo...

Apparently, "you can actually do whatever you want. You just can't have any holes."

But later commenters point out that there's nothing in the rules prohibiting holes.

Since it's simply an arbitrary setup, like Hey That's My Fish or Gipsy King, it seems like players can and should set up the map however they want. Different topologies create different experiences. Make a "normal" no-holes map, or put a few holes, or make a ring with a big hole, whatever. At least in other similar games with modular setups like HTMF and GK, we've found it fun to experiment that way. (Sadly I still haven't gotten to play Barony!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules also don't prohibit positioning the tiles such that they don't touch one another! All it says is to 'assemble' them. So, you could assemble all the tiles such that they all have spaces/holes around them, basically breaking the game. I am interested in at least what the designer's intent here was and it sounds like we probably got that answer. I wish that there was a default or some sort of suggested convention for the board creation phase of the game that would minimize disputes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I made that comment about holes not being allowed, but that was wrong. You could indeed have holes, which, at the end of the day, just means adding more "water" spaces.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
FabienC wrote:
Hi,

I made that comment about holes not being allowed, but that was wrong. You could indeed have holes, which, at the end of the day, just means adding more "water" spaces.

Based on this comment, are the holes actually "water" spaces? Because that makes a difference for recruiting. Since the edge of the board doesn't count as giving you the extra recruit, I don't think these will either.

Furthermore, are these holes considered the edge of the board for purposes of Expedition?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
FabienC wrote:
Hi,

I made that comment about holes not being allowed, but that was wrong. You could indeed have holes, which, at the end of the day, just means adding more "water" spaces.

Based on this comment, are the holes actually "water" spaces? Because that makes a difference for recruiting. Since the edge of the board doesn't count as giving you the extra recruit, I don't think these will either.

Furthermore, are these holes considered the edge of the board for purposes of Expedition?


All damn good points. These "holes" are opening up a can of worms, aren't they? Personally I think they should just be forbidden. There's a HUGE amount of variability in the set-up without resorting to holes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
qswanger wrote:
...Personally I think they should just be forbidden. There's a HUGE amount of variability in the set-up without resorting to holes.

Yeah, we are playing our first game tonight and trying to flush out all the rules questions that I can before hand. I am just going to go with "no holes" for now and will let it expand once we get official clarification.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
FabienC wrote:
Hi,

I made that comment about holes not being allowed, but that was wrong. You could indeed have holes, which, at the end of the day, just means adding more "water" spaces.

Based on this comment, are the holes actually "water" spaces? Because that makes a difference for recruiting. Since the edge of the board doesn't count as giving you the extra recruit, I don't think these will either.

Furthermore, are these holes considered the edge of the board for purposes of Expedition?


I added quotes because the holes are indeed not true water spaces and do not allow for the extra knight when recruiting.

The holes are not considered the edge of the board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
FabienC wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
FabienC wrote:
Hi,

I made that comment about holes not being allowed, but that was wrong. You could indeed have holes, which, at the end of the day, just means adding more "water" spaces.

Based on this comment, are the holes actually "water" spaces? Because that makes a difference for recruiting. Since the edge of the board doesn't count as giving you the extra recruit, I don't think these will either.

Furthermore, are these holes considered the edge of the board for purposes of Expedition?


I added quotes because the holes are indeed not true water spaces and do not allow for the extra knight when recruiting.

The holes are not considered the edge of the board.

No offense, but you need to be careful in your terminology as it has repercussions. How do we know quotes means you didn't mean what you said. Why compare it to water at all as it only confuses things?

Furthermore, you seem to be speaking with authority here so what is the basis of you comment now? You've said no holes then retracted. You've said they are like water and then clarified they are not. So forgive me if I'm hesitant to accept what you say now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.