Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When do you find yourself successfully placing Aphid farms? They seem really expensive for a resource that is already quite plentiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Often, because it allows me to harvest 3 cubes PLUS a food every turn, instead of just 3 cubes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carrion wrote:
Often, because it allows me to harvest 3 cubes PLUS a food every turn, instead of just 3 cubes!

I'll be playing my first game tonight, and after reading the rules I don't understand this. Don't you always harvest 1 cube from all pheromone tiles no matter what? I don't know what you mean by "allows me to harvest 3 cubes PLUS a food every turn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Maillard
France
Flers
Orne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carrion wrote:

No, it's not the rule. When you place an Aphid farm, you don't harvest any cube. At the end of each turn, it will give you 1 Food (green cube), every turn, and as a special pheromone tile, it can't be cleaned by your opponent (neither by you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FitzChevalery wrote:
carrion wrote:

No, it's not the rule. When you place an Aphid farm, you don't harvest any cube. At the end of each turn, it will give you 1 Food (green cube), every turn, and as a special pheromone tile, it can't be cleaned by your opponent (neither by you).

Exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PapaDeWald wrote:
When do you find yourself successfully placing Aphid farms? They seem really expensive for a resource that is already quite plentiful.

if you can place it close to your opponent, since it blocks him and cannot be cleared for points.

when there are corresponding objectives that require to have/give up a certain number of special tiles.

but I also like to build them "just because". built early, they do pay off and provide quite a bit of food which allows me to concentrate on other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
PapaDeWald wrote:

if you can place it close to your opponent, since it blocks him and cannot be cleared for points.

when there are corresponding objectives that require to have/give up a certain number of special tiles.

but I also like to build them "just because". built early, they do pay off and provide quite a bit of food which allows me to concentrate on other things.

This was the most helpful reply. I played this weekend, winning against my wife where I built special tiles and she didn't build any. I put the aphid farm down early...1st autumn. It seemed to be a good payoff, and there was the tile objective you mentioned. I hadn't thought to use it as a blocking mechanism though...will have to try that next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PapaDeWald wrote:
pinoeppel wrote:
PapaDeWald wrote:

This was the most helpful reply. I played this weekend, winning against my wife where I built special tiles and she didn't build any. I put the aphid farm down early...1st autumn. It seemed to be a good payoff, and there was the tile objective you mentioned. I hadn't thought to use it as a blocking mechanism though...will have to try that next time.

I think you can still cross the tile (at a cost of 1 soldier) but it cannot be removed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.