Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some help in determining some mechanics for a game I'm currently fiddling with. First, some background on the game.

I'm designing a card game in the vein of collectible card games (CCG) and living card games (LCG). Now, I'm quite aware of the love/hate relationship on BGG surrounding games of this nature (especially CCGs) but I'm primarily looking to design a game like this for a few reasons:

* I've been playing CCGs pretty much since the genre was created back in the mid-90s and I wanted to see if I could handle the challenge of designing a game where I'm essentially building a toolbox for players to figure out what to do with
* I have no delusions of grandeur about making it big - if I can make a game that my friends find fun then I've succeeded

That said, on to what the game is about.

The world I'm creating for my game is called WrestleWorld and it's all about wrestling. There are numerous promotions across this world duking it out in cross-promotion tournaments in order to gain control of the WrestleWorld Championship Belt. If you've ever seen, read, and/or played with the Kinnikuman or M.U.S.C.L.E. line of toys, manga, and shows then you'll have some idea as what I'm aiming for in tone.

Promotions consist of talent (wrestlers, managers, referees, etc...). Talent tends to be aligned with one of the core wrestling types - strike, grapple, submission, or high-risk.

Think of it this way - if you've ever played Magic: The Gathering (M:tG), promotions are your deck, talent are the various card types all rolled into one, and the core wrestling types are the colors.

Talent would have abilities on them that can be used in three phases of the game - pre-match (before a match), match (during the match itself), or post-match (after the match).

During a typical turn, players would do the pre-match phase at the same time, going back and forth until neither wants to play any more play talent to the table and perform any pre-match abilities.

Players would then do the match phase at the same time and use match abilities to determine the type of match that would happen. They would then pick the talent to participate in that match and play that match out.

Finally, players would perform any post-match stuff at the same time before repeating the whole process again until a winner is determined.

The first promotion to have no cards in their deck wins.

Here's some of the issues I'm trying to work out:

Talent and abilities are played by paying their core wrestling type cost. Since every card is associated with a core wrestling type (remember - strike, grapple, submission, high-risk) the cards also double as resources. I have yet to decide how you would pay for this cost. The two ideas I have are:

* Paying comes from your hand, where the cards paying the cost are discarded to the bottom of your deck
* Talent played to the table can be used as a resource to play other cards. They would count as one resource of the core wrestling type they're associated with

Next up, is handling a match. Since most wrestling games focus on the match itself and I'm zoomed out a bit from that, I'm not sure how to handle this. I want the players to get the "highlights" of the match, not the blow-by-blow. Match abilities on talent can handle this to some degree but I'm still not sure how to determine the end of a match - Do talent have health to keep track of? Should it be based more around crowd reaction (they enjoyed the match or not)?

Finally, achieving the end-game condition. I want to cause the game to end by reducing a player's deck to zero cards. I'm equating the cards in a player's deck to their fans. As they put on poor matches, they lose fans. Primarily, a player would lose cards (fans) from their deck during matches. This is what I've thought of so far:

* Talent would have a star value, representing not only how much they cost to play but also how much they could damage a deck. I can't decide if the winning or losing talent's star value affects the player's deck

If you've stuck this out with me for this long, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've tried to be thorough with this post but I'm sure stuff that's clear to me will make NO SENSE to someone else. Therefore, please ask me for any clarification.

I'm looking for any and all advice on how to overcome my mechanics issues.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrkist Pengwin wrote:

Next up, is handling a match. Since most wrestling games focus on the match itself and I'm zoomed out a bit from that, I'm not sure how to handle this. I want the players to get the "highlights" of the match, not the blow-by-blow. Match abilities on talent can handle this to some degree but I'm still not sure how to determine the end of a match - Do talent have health to keep track of? Should it be based more around crowd reaction (they enjoyed the match or not)?

* Talent would have a star value, representing not only how much they cost to play but also how much they could damage a deck. I can't decide if the winning or losing talent's star value affects the player's deck

I don't feel competent enough w/ CCG gameplay to offer suggestions with everything, so I'll focus on what I can do. I'm no stranger to wrestling games (my only published title so far is from this genre).

Handling a match, especially given that your other gameplay is distant from "in ring" leads me to think you should focus this game on more a "real life" wrestling situation (meaning, the wrestler's as performers and not competitors). The match ending should have more of a focus on the fan's reaction than what moves are done (unless those moves improve said match for the purpose of a better performance). I would base the end of the match on a time limit. Wrestler's have a pretty good idea how much time they have to fill when going to the ring. It might adjust during, but even then, it's usually guided by the ref, time keeper, ring announcer who tells them to stretch it or "take it home" and finish it. I would go that route, where they need to put on their best performance in a period of time while avoiding injuries and other pitfalls.

I would definitely have the talent's stars be something that impact the deck, either cost or some other way.

Hope it helps and good luck. Feel free to ask any other questions and if I can help, I will.

wf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having difficulty telling whether you're trying to empty your opponent's deck or your own; you have two bits that seem to suggest each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Google, I assume you're the designer of the RPG series, "Modern Day Gladiators"? I will definitely look into that game.

Quote:
Handling a match, especially given that your other gameplay is distant from "in ring" leads me to think you should focus this game on more a "real life" wrestling situation (meaning, the wrestler's as performers and not competitors). The match ending should have more of a focus on the fan's reaction than what moves are done (unless those moves improve said match for the purpose of a better performance). I would base the end of the match on a time limit. Wrestler's have a pretty good idea how much time they have to fill when going to the ring. It might adjust during, but even then, it's usually guided by the ref, time keeper, ring announcer who tells them to stretch it or "take it home" and finish it. I would go that route, where they need to put on their best performance in a period of time while avoiding injuries and other pitfalls.

I was beginning to lean towards that concept. Since the player's deck represents their fans and when you lose cards from your deck due to poor performances in matches and whatnot you discard cards from your deck it makes sense.

So match abilities wouldn't be moves unless they were associated with a big spot. Like I said, I would want a match be the highlights instead of the blow-by-blow.

What would make more sense thematically:

the losing talent’s star values being flipped from the losing player’s deck
the winning talent’s star values being flipped from the losing player’s deck

I can see a case being made for either way but option 1 seems more intuitive from a player’s standpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm having difficulty telling whether you're trying to empty your opponent's deck or your own; you have two bits that seem to suggest each.

You're trying to empty your opponent's deck. Anything else that needs clarification? I'm more than willing to try and better explain my ranting and raving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some thoughts about resources in the game. In the game, every card is aligned with one of the core wrestling move types - strike, grapple, submission, and high-risk. The way I look at it there are three ways to handle costing of cards and two ways to pay for costs.

The three ways to handle costing are:
ONE OF - you can pay for a card using any resources as long as at least one of the resources matches the type on the card. For example, a card costing 4 of the type grapple would require you to pay four resources with at least one of them being of the type grapple
THRESHOLD - you can pay for a card using any resources as long as you use enough resources to match the threshold. For example, a card costing 4 of the type grapple with a threshold of 2, would require you to pay four resources with at least two of them being of the type grapple
ALL - you can pay for a card using only resources that match the type on the card. For example, a card costing 4 of the type grapple would require you to pay four resources with all of them being of the type grapple

The two ways to pay for costs are:
FROM HAND - you pay for cards by discarding the cards with the appropriate resources from your hand and placing them on the bottom of your deck
FROM TABLE - you can pay for cards by using talent already on the table for its resource type

There are pros and cons for each way. The FROM HAND way to pay for costs works well with the ONE OF and THRESHOLD methods of handling costing while the ALL method wouldn’t work well at all.

The FROM TABLE way to pay for costs would work well with any of the methods for handling costs. The downside to this method is having to ramp up your resources. The biggest issue with this method is starting. I would have to either provide zero-cost talent in order to allow a player to start his resource ramping or start the player with some resources.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to handle this?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrkist Pengwin wrote:
Thanks to Google, I assume you're the designer of the RPG series, "Modern Day Gladiators"? I will definitely look into that game.

(snip)

So match abilities wouldn't be moves unless they were associated with a big spot. Like I said, I would want a match be the highlights instead of the blow-by-blow.

What would make more sense thematically:

the losing talent’s star values being flipped from the losing player’s deck
the winning talent’s star values being flipped from the losing player’s deck

I can see a case being made for either way but option 1 seems more intuitive from a player’s standpoint.

First, yep, that'd be me. Aside from the image I use here, I try not to make a commercial about it, but anytime someone is making a wrestling game, I usually offer my thoughts. I spent about 10 years putting mine together and found quite a few pitfalls along the way. I'd love to help others avoid any of those, and besides, I'm a fan of the genre so why not help someone bring another product to the masses? As for MDG, insider tip - if you decide to get it, the Drive Thru is running a Christmas in July sale - would be a good time to pick it up w/ some savings.

Now, to your game, I wanted to comment on your idea of "highlights only" and give a suggestion. I would consider using rest holds as well as the big spots. I see rest holds as giving a different sort of resource to the game (if I'm understanding at least part of what you're wanting). Rest holds improve the characters ability to stave off injury, but the cost would be to the crowd's excitement (or stars). It might add another layer to your match strategy, how and when to use them, especially if you run w/ a clock concept.

As for your questions, I'm not sure I grasp the game well enough to comment and I'd rather not guide you wrong. However, if both make sense thematically, then choose one and go w/ it (or give the choice to the players - choice is always good for games).

Good luck w/ it and keep posting so we know what's happening!

wf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now, to your game, I wanted to comment on your idea of "highlights only" and give a suggestion. I would consider using rest holds as well as the big spots. I see rest holds as giving a different sort of resource to the game (if I'm understanding at least part of what you're wanting). Rest holds improve the characters ability to stave off injury, but the cost would be to the crowd's excitement (or stars). It might add another layer to your match strategy, how and when to use them, especially if you run w/ a clock concept.

In addition to a resource issue, I'm also still trying to figure out how to determine a winner during the match phase.

They way I'm envisioning it is something along these lines:

1. Players use any talent with match type match abilities. This will give a baseline for how much talent can participate in the match in the beginning as well as possibly determine how to win that match. I say "possibly" because I'm still working it out.

2. Players then trade off using match abilities which would represent the highlights of a match, not the blow-by-blow (think of it this way - you're watching the sportscenter highlights which are maybe a couple of spots, not the entire match).

3. Once both players pass, they would then determine who won that match and the loser discard the losing wrestlers and would lose cards from their deck.

My problem, as it stands, is figuring out what determines who wins and who loses. I'm hesitant to toss stats onto cards unless they absolutely need to be there.

Currently, talent cards have:
* A name
* Artwork
* Keywords (like what kind of talent they are, factions they belong to)
* Any pre-match, match, and/or post-match abilities
* "Value" (how many resources it costs to play)
* Resource type (strike, grapple, submission, high-risk)

If possible, "Value" could do multiple jobs. It could be how much a card costs, how many cards that would be removed from the top of a players deck when he loses a match, and the stat that is modified during a match to and compared to determine a winner.

Another option would be for a crowd interest in a match. It could start at zero and abilities would tweak that value towards one player or the other. Something along the lines of a tug of war mechanic. That way no additional stats may be required.

I like the idea of rest holds and injuries but those could be lumped in under match abilities I think.

If you can think of another way to handle this, I'd love to hear it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrkist Pengwin wrote:

In addition to a resource issue, I'm also still trying to figure out how to determine a winner during the match phase.

They way I'm envisioning it is something along these lines:

1. Players use any talent with match type match abilities. This will give a baseline for how much talent can participate in the match in the beginning as well as possibly determine how to win that match. I say "possibly" because I'm still working it out.

2. Players then trade off using match abilities which would represent the highlights of a match, not the blow-by-blow (think of it this way - you're watching the sportscenter highlights which are maybe a couple of spots, not the entire match).

3. Once both players pass, they would then determine who won that match and the loser discard the losing wrestlers and would lose cards from their deck.

My problem, as it stands, is figuring out what determines who wins and who loses. I'm hesitant to toss stats onto cards unless they absolutely need to be there.

Currently, talent cards have:
* A name
* Artwork
* Keywords (like what kind of talent they are, factions they belong to)
* Any pre-match, match, and/or post-match abilities
* "Value" (how many resources it costs to play)
* Resource type (strike, grapple, submission, high-risk)

If possible, "Value" could do multiple jobs. It could be how much a card costs, how many cards that would be removed from the top of a players deck when he loses a match, and the stat that is modified during a match to and compared to determine a winner.

Another option would be for a crowd interest in a match. It could start at zero and abilities would tweak that value towards one player or the other. Something along the lines of a tug of war mechanic. That way no additional stats may be required.

I like the idea of rest holds and injuries but those could be lumped in under match abilities I think.

If you can think of another way to handle this, I'd love to hear it.

First, it's been fun to think through a wrestling project again - it's been awhile! If it were me, I'd take this back to what your game's goal is. For MDG, mine is a straight competitive contest, in truth, closer to MMA than WWE where the ending is scripted (at least, we assume MMA is never scripted, much as we did boxing through the years). If your game is meant to be scripted, the winner and loser doesn't matter as much as the entertainment value.

Pro Wrestling matches are closer to a co-op where the goal is to get the fan's engaged in what you're doing in the ring with each wrestler's personal goal of getting more popularity (or hatred) so they can move higher on the card (and get more money).

But, when I reread your initial post to see if I was getting messed up in the goals, it said,

Quote:
Think of it this way - if you've ever played Magic: The Gathering (M:tG), promotions are your deck, talent are the various card types all rolled into one, and the core wrestling types are the colors.

Talent would have abilities on them that can be used in three phases of the game - pre-match (before a match), match (during the match itself), or post-match (after the match).

This leads me to see the player as one of many promotions attempting to gain more popularity. If that's the case, the winner of the match truly shouldn't be the goal.

So, let's go back to considering the game's goals -
1. What type of game is this?
2. What are the player's goals?
3. How do we best represent that in the base mechanics?

Breaking it down further...

1. Is the player representing a wrestler? A league? Something else?

2. What are they attempting to accomplish? Victory in the ring? Ratings? Money?

If I get a handle on that, I can probably give better advice. Thanks for the back and forth - nice to think these things through again.

wf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, let's see if I can answer these...

What type of game is this?
It's a card game where players construct a deck from a pool of cards.

What are the player's goals?
To reduce their opponent's deck to zero cards.

How do we best represent that in the base mechanics
This is the current problem. I"m not entirely sure how to handle this. Since the goal is to reduce the opposing promotion's fanbase to zero, represented by reducing the cards in their deck, it's not so much about winning a match as it is putting on a good match.

I've thought of two ways of handling this.

The first way involves a card's star value being the base crowd response to a match. Then match abilities can augment those values. Whoever has the highest value would have "won" the match as far as crowd response goes and the loser would lose cards from their deck (still working on what value would reflect the amount lost).

The other way is sort of like a tug of war. The crowd would start at zero and the players would use abilities and whatnot to push that value toward them. Whoever has the crowd on their side would "win" the match.

Again, this is the biggest issue I'm currently having with figuring this game out.

Is the player representing a wrestler? A league? Something else?
The player represents the owner of a wrestling promotion. The player's deck represents their promotion. The cards (when played) represent the talent (wrestlers, managers, referees) in their promotion. When the cards are in the deck, they represent the current fanbase of the promotion.

What are they attempting to accomplish? Victory in the ring? Ratings? Money?
The promotions are attempting to become the most popular by having more fans than other promotions and gaining control of the WrestleWorld Championship Belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not be helpful to think about it in terms of who wins the match, but who comes out looking better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It may not be helpful to think about it in terms of who wins the match, but who comes out looking better.

That's very true but I just can't figure out how to turn that into a game mechanic.

Obviously, the winner of the match isn't always the winner, right? Does that make sense? Some tug of war mechanic with the crowd's favor may be the best bet. It would start at zero then abilities and other stats would cause that value to move either towards one player or the other.

Does anyone know of any games that do something similar that I could look into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anrkist Pengwin wrote:
Obviously, the winner of the match isn't always the winner, right? Does that make sense? Some tug of war mechanic with the crowd's favor may be the best bet. It would start at zero then abilities and other stats would cause that value to move either towards one player or the other.

Does anyone know of any games that do something similar that I could look into?

Blue Moon Legends (which I haven't played) has something that could be considered similar. There are 3 dragons which start in the middle and you can attract to your side (or away from your opponent). If someone gets all 3 then they win (I think). I could imagine something similar with dragons being replaced with fan tokens, where each token represents part of the crowd.

You could take many scoring mechanisms in games and turn them into a battle for the crowd's favour - make a "crowd favour track" then play Magic: The Gathering and pretend all the cards are something to do with wrestling - anything in the game that causes your opponent to lose life causes the crowd's favour to move that number of squares towards you. End the game if the favour gets to your end of the track or after a set number of rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely look into Blue Moon Legends.

As of right now, the end game is to reduce your opponent's deck to zero cards (since when cards are in a deck they count as fans). I would want the push/pull mechanic for the crowd to be the main thing in a match.

Since the game repeats pre-match, match, post-match until a player has no cards left in their deck, it wouldn't be an exact one-to-one with life in M:tG.

When a match is happening the push/pull of the crowd mechanic occurs. Once that has been decided, then fans (cards) are lost from a player's deck.

I'll continue doing research and see what I can come up with. IN the meantime, please do not hesitate to chime in with any comments/advice/criticism.

One more thing - would anyone be interested in a quick rundown of the game as it stands now since this post has been going on for a bit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, you know I'm open to a rundown, so feel free to send away (privately or whatever works for you).

I wanted to give you a thought in regards to the push/pull mechanic. First, I like it, and as long as the focus remains on the crowd's reaction, it should fit my understanding of what you want from the game's theme.

Are you doing a variety of wrestlers for each "match", so it's really show vs. show?

Next, since the deck represents a promotion, that brings up a question.

Is this something akin to the fabled "Monday Night Wars"? Or, is this more of an inter-promotional supercard? Rarely do wrestlers from opposing promotions compete, so thematically, you'll want to consider that.

LOTS to think through, but if you stay focused, you should get there!

wf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warrenfitz45 wrote:
Rarely do wrestlers from opposing promotions compete, so thematically, you'll want to consider that.

This is a good point. Perhaps change it to factions/stables going against each other? Traditionally, this could also explain how different characters may still show up in the different decks or as "good"/"evil"/"alternate" versions of themselves. Masked and other costume tricks also had different people playing the same characters go up against each other - like the "original" Big Mean Guy vs the "Show Biz" Big Mean Guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, to me, theme is king when you do these sort of games. If it doesn't fit the theme, then you have a LOT to consider.

Take the DC deckbuilder. It's a pretty solid game... as long as you don't think about it. Like, you're playing as Batman, but you're using starbolts (starfire), a GL ring and flight to take down the Joker who, later, you play as an attack on your opponent's superhero.

What?!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warrenfitz45 wrote:
Yeah, to me, theme is king when you do these sort of games. If it doesn't fit the theme, then you have a LOT to consider.

Take the DC deckbuilder. It's a pretty solid game... as long as you don't think about it. Like, you're playing as Batman, but you're using starbolts (starfire), a GL ring and flight to take down the Joker who, later, you play as an attack on your opponent's superhero.

What?!!!!

I think of it as that you play a super team that's led by Batman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
warrenfitz45 wrote:

What?!!!!

And fighting Superman with the Joker. Maybe it's Injustice, the deckbuilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warrenfitz45 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
warrenfitz45 wrote:

What?!!!!

And fighting Superman with the Joker. Maybe it's Injustice, the deckbuilder.

You're not, as such, fighting Superman. The Joker's just showing up again, and you're safe from his attack because of your prior experience defeating him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought of that... still can't make that stretch, but we're WAY off topic. I don't wanna hijack the OP's goal.

Back to our regularly scheduled Monday Night wrestling.

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say WAY off-topic - you guys found a shiny object off to the side and got distracted laugh

I just wanted to chime in and say that I appreciate all the feedback so far. I'm currently writing up an overview of what I've come up with, which I'll post in a bit (a full-time job and two small children doesn't allow a lot of free time to work on this stuff some days, especially when sleep-deprived snore).

I'll also bring attention to issues I still have and possible solutions I've thought up of.

Hopefully, my overview will help to focus everything and better explain what I'm looking to achieve since this original post was a bit of a rant.

Your comments and questions have certainly helped me to make this idea a bit more coherent. Once I can come up with something workable for the last mechanics I haven't figured out yet, I'll start working on an ugly prototype (NANDeck really helpful for creating quick and ugly prototypes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While writing up my, I guess you could call it a design doc, I came up with some questions and ideas.

How should I handle the game's resource system? Playing cards as a specific resource (strike, grapple, submission, high-risk) doesn't seem all that thematic, even if I think of a in-world way of explaining it. It's like having Magic: The Gathering's mana system in the game.

Since the game seems to center around fans, why not tie the resource system into that? Any thoughts on how to go about doing that?

Is anyone familiar with the old Decipher CCGs, Star Wars and Wars? They had a unique resource system. In those games (specifically Star Wars), you lost when your deck, representing your life force had no cards left in it (just like my game). Each turn, you would count up all the force icons and placed that many cards, face down, in a stack next to your deck. That stack, called your reserve, was what you used to pay for cards (and draw new cards into your hand) until your next turn. As you paid for cards the cards in the reserve would eventually recycle back to the bottom of your deck.

I'd like to do something similar but I don't want to steal this mechanic, however ingenious it is, outright.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I have at the moment. I've also created a Google Doc containing this content, which you can view here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/11PguZhYrC4v_0oQvCk6FN74C...)

WrestleWorld
Theme
The world of WrestleWorld is what I call Earth-like. It’s like a lot of video game worlds in that there’s a lot similarities to our world but also a lot of differences. If you’ve ever played the Pokemon games, you’d have a good starting point. The world of Pokemon is pretty similar to our own but with some major differences, like quasi-sentient animals running around that you capture and cock fight with.

WrestleWorld has analogues to the major countries that are known for wrestling so the Mexican style of lucha libre, the Japanese style of puroresu, and the showy style of American wrestling are all represented.

In this world, wrestling is God. promotions the world over compete against each other in a series of worldwide cross-promotion tournaments where the winner will obtain the WrestleWorld Championship Belt and rule over Wrestleworld.

I’m looking for the theme to be more light-hearted than serious, more cartoony than realistic. I was a child of the 80s so wrestling in the 80s holds a special place in my heart. I also collected a lot of M.U.S.C.L.E figurines (you may also know them as Kinniku[/b]man)

Reference
Kinkeshi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkeshi)
M.U.S.C.L.E. Toys (http://nathansmuscleblog.blogspot.com/p/collecting.html)
1980s Professional Wrestling (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_professional_wrestling_b...)

Concepts and mechanics
What am I trying to accomplish?
* Design a customizable card game that allows for both constructed (build your own deck from all the cards in the game) and limited (draft from a small pool of cards and build a deck from that) play
* Have the game be fairly simple to learn yet offer enough depth to be engaging to play multiple times
* Have the game take no longer than 30 minutes to play (preferably somewhere in the 15-20 minutes range)
* Have the theme represent wrestling in a positive light while still remaining cartoony and light

Object of the game
Thematically, the object of the game is to reduce the opposing promotion’s fanbase to zero by performing better than them in a series of cross-promotion matches and winning their fans over to your promotion. Mechanically, this is achieved by participating in a series of matches against the opposing promotion and having a better fan rating than them at the end of a match, causing them to lose fans, in the form of cards, from the top of their deck (promotion) to their discard pile.

How is the game played?
Players will come to the table with their promotion, or deck. A promotion consists of a variety of talent cards. What are talent cards? Talent cards represent the wrestlers, managers, referees, personnel, and notable fans that are a part of your promotion. They also represent the various resources at your disposal in the game.

NOTE: I''m not sold on this since it doesn't seem very thematic.
Resources
In the game, there are five resource types:
* Strike
* Grapple
* Submission
* High-Risk
* Charisma

All talent cards provide at least one of these resources when used as one.

Playing area
Each player’s playing area has two sections - the backstage and ringside. Each player has a their own backstage and share the ringside. Talent is played to the backstage either as talent or as a resource during the pre-match phase of a turn. Talent is moved to ringside during the match phase of a turn in order to participate in a match.

Playing Area Image (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Su0HlITLE2Zb92t6Z_E4oqFN...)

Playing a card
Every talent provides you with a resource icon. Talent have two parts to their cost - its total numeric cost and its threshold value.

You cannot play a card until you meet its threshold value. For example, if a card has a threshold value of 2 Strike icons, you cannot play it until you have at least 2 Strike resources in your backstage. Once you have those resources, you can deploy any number of cards with a threshold of 2 Strike icons or less as long as you can pay for each card's total numeric cost.

Turn sequence
A turn in the game goes like this:

Pre-match
1. Refresh any exhausted cards in your backstage (at the same time)
2. Draw a card from your promotion (at the same time)
3. Perform an action (players take turns performing one action until passing)
* Play a resource (once per pre-match) to your backstage
* Play a talent to your backstage area
* Activate a pre-match ability on a talent in your backstage
* Pass (once both players pass simultaneously, pre-match phase ends)

Match
1. Determine stipulations for the match
2. Move talent participating in the match ringside
3. Perform an action (players take turns performing one action until passing)
* Activate a match ability on a talent in your backstage or ringside
* Pass (once both players pass simultaneously, match phase ends)
4. Determine who won over the crowd

Post-match
1. Perform an action (players take turns performing one action until passing)
2. Activate a post-match ability on a talent in your backstage
3. Pass (once both players pass simultaneously, post-match phase ends)

Terminology
Owner
Who the player represents in the game.

Promotion
This is player’s deck in the game. It serves multiple purposes mechanically:
* As a representation of the player’s wrestling promotion, containing all the talent a player is bringing to the game
* As a representation of the fanbase of the player’s promotion.

Talent
These are the wrestlers, managers, referees, and possibly fans that make up the player's promotion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things I still need to figure out:

* Resource system (as I mentioned previously)
* How to determine who won the crowd over in a match (need to better define the push/pull system)

If anyone has any thoughts on that, that would be awesome. As I've said before, I'd like to make these mechanics more thematic by tying them into the crowd and fans. Losing your fanbase causes you to lose the game. I'd like to also somehow use the concept of fans/crowd for playing cards and determining who "wins" a match, so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.