Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed this recently playing Ticket to Ride with my girlfriend over a few games last night. She beat me every time. When I first got into the hobby I was pretty good at the game but now I'm pretty bad. I noticed this with a few other light gateway games...

Does the complexity of more hobbyist games make it harder for you to play simple games or is it just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny you mention Ticket to Ride specifically. My wife beats me every time we play it now, and I thought I was pretty good at it. I definitely feel like I've lost my edge in gateway games. I'm starting to wonder if I'm only "good" at more complex games compared to my friends because I've played the game more than they have. In the end, just happy to have friends/family willing to play board games with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife kicks my ass nonstop in TTR.

protip - get a stronger ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a genius in Chess doesn't mean that you will be equally successful in Go. Or with Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
I can do very well in Catan or Ticket, but it will pain me greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that makes a gateway game is the "everyone can win" mechanisms that will give everyone a shot. I can't even imagine how one can be too "bad at them" because they are built to keep players competitive.

Pete (wins only his fair share of the gateway games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
My wife plays Ticket to Ride on the iPad...I swear she has racked up 1000 plays, and can beat the AI 100% of the time. She's pretty good in general. Of course that's with AI's and casual players, she cleans house.

BUT when she plays me.

Me: *places lone track out in the middle of nowhere*

Wife: "Why did you do that, it doesn't help you at all!? That only fucks my tickets up!"

Me: "I know"

The key to simple high-luck games is not to play the simple game..It's to play the deviousness you learned about the game.

Anyone have wheat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably not just you. I suck at all games, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the reason you lose a lot at TtR is because you think of it as a gateway game. When the same people consistently win at convention tournaments, it's safe to assume that there's a lot more than luck involved. My personal take on TtR is it's one of the heavier games in my collection. Sure, you can teach the rules in a few minutes. But paying attention to who's collecting what cards and what track they're laying makes a huge difference. The person who knows the tickets best has got a big advantage... and that comes from repeated plays and paying attention. Add in the additional complexity in the PA or Team Asia maps and my brain works harder for more time at TtR (though much of it is during other people's turns)than I do at Terra Mystica or Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting question!

I fair in gateway games as I always do: middle of the pack.

Perhaps you care less about the game than when you started the hobby so you just aren't as committed to winning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
Maybe the reason you lose a lot at TtR is because you think of it as a gateway game. When the same people consistently win at convention tournaments, it's safe to assume that there's a lot more than luck involved. My personal take on TtR is it's one of the heavier games in my collection. Sure, you can teach the rules in a few minutes. But paying attention to who's collecting what cards and what track they're laying makes a huge difference. The person who knows the tickets best has got a big advantage... and that comes from repeated plays and paying attention. Add in the additional complexity in the PA or Team Asia maps and my brain works harder for more time at TtR (though much of it is during other people's turns)than I do at Terra Mystica or Agricola.

Whoa... That's intense and correct.

P.S. When playing my girlfriend I tend to know what here tickets are but if I block her... Well my couch just isn't as comfortable as my bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not reading this into the OP at all, but from a lot of other discussions I get the impression that a fair number of boardgamers believe the weight of games they like correlates with some kind of "gaming IQ," and chalk up losing lighter games to a combination of luck, opponents' rote memorization, and difficulty in changing gears from the intellectually superior activity of minmaxing.

Besides, the OP's significant other wants to game with him, which is the best thing that can happen to a gamer. If I were him I wouldn't worry about who's winning what more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
I just noticed this recently playing Ticket to Ride with my girlfriend over a few games last night. She beat me every time. When I first got into the hobby I was pretty good at the game but now I'm pretty bad. I noticed this with a few other light gateway games...

Does the complexity of more hobbyist games make it harder for you to play simple games or is it just me?

Am I bad at Gateway Games? No but my win percentage is most likely relavent to those I play them with.

As for TtR, my wife has beaten me far more often than not and my couch is awful to sleep on!
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I find I'm good a 'gateway' games. After playing such a game once or twice I win much more often than the others on subsequent plays. I try to play for fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
My wife plays Ticket to Ride on the iPad...I swear she has racked up 1000 plays, and can beat the AI 100% of the time. She's pretty good in general. Of course that's with AI's and casual players, she cleans house.

Quote:
Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
The key to simple high-luck games is not to play the simple game..It's to play the deviousness you learned about the game.

Anyone have wheat?

In your example, you need to know quite well the tickets to anticipate the path by viewing the first few tracks she used.

Butterfly0038 wrote:
Maybe the reason you lose a lot at TtR is because you think of it as a gateway game.

I know that my will to think about a strategy in a game depends strongly on the game and the lighter I perceive a game the less thinking I invest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we've been on TTR so much, I tend to crush souls at it, but I cant win Splendor 2 player to save my live...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the issue is assuming that because some people don't play more complex games you should somehow kick their arse at less complex games.

My wife can kick my arse at a lot of the less complex games. Some games just resonant with how some peoples brains seem to work. She won't play more complex games, so I have no idea whether she just tends to be good at games in general or maybe I'm not as good as I think.

I agree with what DB said about the so called gamer IQ above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whether it's as simple as Chutes and Ladders or as complex as Campaign for North Africa I lose far more than I win. My Grandniece has a real mean streak when it come to Chutes and Ladders! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.