Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Heinsoo
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad Mark has started running previews!

For the next few weeks, I'm going to be putting design notes for Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China on my blog. I'll post here when there's a new note up.

The first one is called Nosy Lawyers & Catacomb Monsters, at http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2016/07/nosy-lawyers-catacomb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
OP has been updated with a new card type and keyword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Mark UD OP wrote:

It has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xLVNx wrote:
Mark UD OP wrote:

It has?

It has, but you have to follow the link and then click the new post on the sidebar to the right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heinsoo
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a second design notes preview, this one focused on the Hero interactions that take the place of Team Icons.

http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2016/07/hero-buddies-extra-he...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love the alternate commons idea. Similar to an idea I came up with called "Tactic Packs" -- more generic "power" cards for A-list heroes like Spider-Man and Captain America, that could we swapped into other Spider-Man and Captain America Hero sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Sweet! Would've been a little simpler to just post the link to begin with though...

I really love the alternate commons idea! The design is so beautiful as it adds ways to further customize the game while adding very little to the mix. This is a mechanic I suspect people will snatch in the future...

I like that there are no factions! It helps boost Howard the Duck and creates a specific flavour. A neat thing is that the cards that gains additional bonuses from each other have ways to trigger it by other mmeans! Clever, makes the cards useable even when with high likelyhood they will be played with Marvel heroes (for those who do fully randomized games with all content available).

I was worried this game would not mix well with Marvel, but my doubts are now gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costin Costin
msg tools
I must say that I did not like very much the previews included in the first post. However, this second round of previews changed my mind. I understand why you decided to replace affiliations with hero-specific-triggers. It's something that we've not seen in Legendary so far and that should work pretty good (if you combine this with Marvel and randomize, you might not get all the special super powers that involve other specific heroes, but as they are the cards are very good).

Congratulations! Also, I am glad that you are involved on these forums and are willing to share with us why you decided to go with specific mechanics/ interactions between cards. We have never received such explanations from the Marvel Legendary designer.

The only thing that worries me is that I am leaning towards buying this game now, after seeing this second round of previews.... So thumbs up for the clever marketing strategy, but thumbs down for convincing me to spend more money on Legendary games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I'm disappointed with the art, and the fact the game is closer to Marvel than Alien. Huge miss (it appears).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heinsoo
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John Blank wrote:
This is looking great! Is there a specific release date yet?

I know the game will be at GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heinsoo
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a third design notes preview, this time talking about a couple rare cards, with a nod to those who like to mix all sets together.

http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2016/07/green-eyed-brides-wit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heinsoo
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Costin wrote:
Also, I am glad that you are involved on these forums and are willing to share with us why you decided to go with specific mechanics/ interactions between cards.

Glad you're enjoying them, Costin. A few more coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heinsoo
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a blog post called My Favorite Monsters, previewing two of the villain cards that have a good deal of influence on how games play out.
http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2016/07/my-favorite-monsters-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Omg <3 Love these cards! Both are really dynamic in how they work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the community, Rob!

Big Trouble in Little China is not my cup of tea, but there's some solid design going on from the few cards we have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, could you shed some light on how many heroes, masterminds, villain groups are out there?

Since the box contains only 350 cards, I'm guessing that some types of cards from Marvel Legendary didn't make it (equivalents of SHIELD Officers, Wounds, Bystanders, Henchmen groups).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really worried about the replayability of this set. Having just seen the movie, I really don't see how you can have a decent number of opponents to fight. Besides Lo Pan and Ching Dai, there is no other opponent worthy of being a mastermind. What villain groups would there be? Monsters (which have been shown) and probably the Three Storms.

Also, how many heroes are there? There have been mentioned Gracie Law, Eddie, Miao Yin, Margo, Wang Chi, Uncle Chu, Jack Burton and Henry Swanson (that's really a stretch), and definitely there will have to be an Egg Shen hero.

That leads the card count to 174 (starting hands included; also, the additional commons for Wang Chi and Jack Burton are included).

What else is there???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of death, Wing Kong henchman group, Elite Wing Kong villain group, White Tiger, monsters, the Storms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, ok, it might work. But it seems that we will get at most 3 different villains per group, which will be a big departure from the regular number of different villains in one villain group.

But only 2 masterminds? Sure, it might integrate really well with the other Legendary games, but I am worried about the viability of this set as a self-standing one...

Hopefully Rob will shed some light on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heinsoo
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Rob, could you shed some light on how many heroes, masterminds, villain groups are out there? .

There are four Masterminds, four Villain groups, and three Henchman Villain groups. One of the Masterminds will probably be a surprise, but will make sense when you think about the four villain groups!

I'll do another preview or two this week with more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Heinsoo wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Rob, could you shed some light on how many heroes, masterminds, villain groups are out there? .

There are four Masterminds, four Villain groups, and three Henchman Villain groups. One of the Masterminds will probably be a surprise, but will make sense when you think about the four villain groups!

I'll do another preview or two this week with more info.

Cannot wait for the previews! This is turning into a certain purchases, especially since there will be 4 masterminds. I hope that the difficulty will be comparable to Marvel's Dark city and not to the base set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heinsoo
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a first peek at one of the game's twelve schemes, and the two Masterminds that take turns plotting your destruction.

http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2016/07/one-and-same-person-j...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm they look better than I would have thought (in the movie the Lo Pans look ridiculous ).

I don't understand why the card names are written with a different font and color than those in Marvel Legendary...to set them apart? it's going to hurt setups in which we'll want to mix the two IPs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I don't understand why the card names are written with a different font and color than those in Marvel Legendary...to set them apart? it's going to hurt setups in which we'll want to mix the two IPs...

So will the fact that the card backs won't have the Marvel logo on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogue148 wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

So will the fact that the card backs won't have the Marvel logo on them.

Yeah, that too
It's fully compatible but not quite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.