Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by more than one thread about game prices, some thoughts that I produced to share with someone (hence the form of the wording) having got a positive response, I thought I'd share them here.

Quote:
As a purchaser I take the pragmatic view that a game has a price, arrived at by arcane means, and I then buy it or not. If it's too high, I just don't buy it (I may shop around, or wait of course).

With a bit of a view into the industry, I do have some idea of how prices arise, but probably that just reinforces my view above.

Of course I don't actually expect to have any impact on anyone who feels otherwise. But you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All luxury goods have a price, and either you pay that price or you don't.

You won't starve without a game, you won't die of any affliction.

If the price is too high, you don't get it. The end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similarly, when I decide what I'm going to order for lunch, I look at the menu and choose the one that I want, factoring in expected taste, cost, and degree to which said cost will impact my ability to afford other things that I may also want, now and/or in the future.

This is fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
This is fascinating.

And if by that you mean that we are at "Pope is Catholic" level of obvious then I might agree with you. Visit the fora for, say, Food Chain Magnate or Ra and you'll find some disagreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
curtc wrote:
This is fascinating.

And if by that you mean that we are at "Pope is Catholic" level of obvious then I might agree with you. Visit the fora for, say, Food Chain Magnate or Ra and you'll find some disagreement.

Yeah, the only problem is, people want the game but can't afford that without sacrificing something else so they complain about the prices being too high. Ultimately though, as you said, you either buy it or don't.

Ironically, I bet a lot of those same people are selling OOP games for far more than they paid for them. Try finding a copy of Orleans: Deluxe Edition for less than $100. Not that I fault them for doing it. If people are willing to pay $100 or more for a game you got for $70, why not sell it for $100 or more?

As an aside, I really wish I had bought a copy of Orleans: Deluxe Edition at Origins, and had backed Scythe. shake Oh well, I'm shoppig around. I'm sure if I'm patient I'll find both those, and some other OOP games at a price I'm okay paying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
curtc wrote:
This is fascinating.

Yeah, the only problem is, people want the game but can't afford that without sacrificing something else so they complain about the prices being too high. Ultimately though, as you said, you either buy it or don't.

Ironically, I bet a lot of those same people are selling OOP games for far more than they paid for them. Try finding a copy of Orleans: Deluxe Edition for less than $100. Not that I fault them for doing it. If people are willing to pay $100 or more for a game you got for $70, why not sell it for $100 or more?

As an aside, I really wish I had bought a copy of Orleans: Deluxe Edition at Origins, and had backed Scythe. shake Oh well, I'm shoppig around. I'm sure if I'm patient I'll find both those, and some other OOP games at a price I'm okay paying.

I'm just glad I played Orleans before I decided to buy it. Saved myself some money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gates of Loyang for 95 bucks, like really?? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Yeah, well...They printed 11,350 copies of Scythe, and I sure as hell am not spending twice ks retail. That is cray cray. I'll wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
I'm sure if I'm patient I'll find both those, and some other OOP games at a price I'm okay paying.

QFT. I have a hard time getting worked up about high prices when I can often wait them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious how everyone complains when they want to buy a game that sells for more than the original price or when they want to sell a game that commands a price much lower than they paid, but nobody complains when selling a game for a high price or buying a game on super-low clearance.

Pete (thinks people are whining at only one side of the coin)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
I'm sure if I'm patient I'll find both those, and some other OOP games at a price I'm okay paying.

QFT. I have a hard time getting worked up about high prices when I can often wait them out.

I just had to look up "QFT" as I had never run into that one before. I like it, assuming I found the right meaning. "Quoted for Truth"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
JosefK wrote:
morris9597 wrote:

I just had to look up "QFT" as I had never run into that one before. I like it, assuming I found the right meaning. "Quoted for Truth"?

Yes, that's the right one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
JosefK wrote:
morris9597 wrote:

I think its "Quote for Today".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to go for "Quiche for Tea" but anyway..
If somebody had bought a deluxe version of a game then was selling it for $30 profit I would just assume it wasn't worth buying in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragoonkin wrote:
You won't starve without a game, you won't die of any affliction.

Well . . . let's not jump to conclusions . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One thing I've noticed who simply assume that any decision made by a big company must be a good decision. This is nonsense. We shouldn't overlook the obvious fact that sometimes companies make the wrong decision. Referring to this specific topic, sometimes companies set their prices too high or too low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I'm just glad I played Orleans before I decided to buy it. Saved myself some money.

Actually you lost money. I made about $100 selling my copy. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
...sometimes companies set their prices too high or too low.

Too low would be losing money, or not making enough to stay solvent. Too high would be so high that they don't sell enough copies (thus losing money, or not making enough to stay solvent).

Any other price is a good price, whether or not you specifically would pay it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
MK99 wrote:

Too low would be losing money, or not making enough to stay solvent. Too high would be so high that they don't sell enough copies (thus losing money, or not making enough to stay solvent).

I'm curious what you mean by "good". There is a range between "seller goes broke if price is below X" and "seller goes broke if price is above Y". All prices between those two points are not necessarily equally "good", either for buyers or seller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I want it I buy it simple as that. I search high and low and try to get the best deal I can. Sometimes I'm successful and get a bargain and sometimes I'm not and pay a lot, but in the end it is my choice as it is anyone else's. If you don't like the price don't buy it or try to find it lower, so do your best to get the best price possible and if you can't move on to the next "I Can't live without it" game on your list and quit your bitching!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
One thing I've noticed who simply assume that any decision made by a big company must be a good decision.

I have a hard time judging a company's decisions. I do expect they might have motivations that differ from mine, as well as more information and more at stake.

I can tell which decisions I don't like, and behave accordingly. But I usually wouldn't presume to say that they made a wrong decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:

Amateurs.

Games in New Zealand on the shelves retail for 120.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
MK99 wrote:

I'm curious what you mean by "good". There is a range between "seller goes broke if price is below X" and "seller goes broke if price is above Y". All prices between those two points are not necessarily equally "good", either for buyers or seller.

Game companies exist to make money. A good price is one that allows them to make enough money to continue developing games and selling them. There probably is a best price, but how do you determine that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
SamNzed wrote:
ReluctantFr0g wrote:

Amateurs.

Games in New Zealand on the shelves retail for 120.

Yikes!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
There probably is a best price, but how do you determine that?

Business calculus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.