David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite sure where to put this but I had a question that's been on my mind for a while now.

How is it that Podcasters/YouTubers (channels), can afford to go to multiple conventions and buy a lot of boardgames? My family has a pretty good income. But man there's is no way I can afford Multiple cons, or even barely one a year, and buy games. Also I live near Columbus (Origins - 4 hours) and Indianapolis (Gencon - 5 hours). I do buy a game nearly every 2 weeks, is that excessive?

I listen to the Secret Cabal a lot and it seems like they are able to go to at least 3 cons a year. As well as watch it played, and Dice Tower (Though Vassel is able to probably because of funding), Undead Viking, RDTN.

Do they just not buy as many games as it seems?
Do they get funding from campaigns to be able to go?
Or just better at spending less elsewhere?

I do have a new large screen tv, and rent/watch a lot of movies, and love to eat out spending $60+ once a week on a dinner with the family and about $50/ week on lunch. But pay $300+/month in student loans, (maybe that's it). But I have a very minor car payment at $80/month.

I'm just not sure how they are able to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Media members can attend Origins, Gen Con, and some other cons free of charge. You can apply for a media badge to gain entry. You of course still need to cover food/hotel though so it's still pricey.

In terms of games, most reviewers aren't paying for them. They're receiving review copies from publishers.

I go to 3 conventions a year and my total bill is less than it cost my family to go to Disney World this summer. The trick is rooming with several others and eating cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game every other week is kind of a lot?

You mentioned people posting videos as part of their business and making a profit. That would help drive all of these "purchases."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruth B
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of sharing hotel room space and travel expenses to cut down cost, at least for those podcasters I interact with personally.

As a regular gamer, I manage to go to multiple conventions a year by prioritizing them over buying a ton of games. If I bought a game every couple of weeks, I'd have no hope of attending the cons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for one thing, I think most of their games are probably given to them by the publishers as it helps generate publicity.

That's quite a chunk of change not coming out of their pockets. In addition, they aren't paying to bring their whole family to a convention, they're paying for themselves only.

As press they probably also receive discounted passes to the conventions as well.

EDIT: At work and got distracted by work while the reply window was up so never saw the new comments come in. Going to leave the comment up though, because review never hurts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're gamers - they plan this shit well. Minimum input, maximum output.

I wouldn't trade spots, ever, but I'm sure they're happy. I like my addictions in moderation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril Sneer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there is another way .....
If you are willing to volunteer at conventions you will get the badge and (depending on the publisher and the shifts you cover) a shared hotel room.

Most of the times you will get some goodies "on top of that" too .....

That is one of the ways I can go to 7isch conventions a year AND run my YouTube channel ....

https://www.youtube.com/c/NilsHerzmann

If you need more personal advice please send me a PM ....

Best
Nils

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keller
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stream board games and YouTube full game playthroughs. I only do Gen Con as it's the biggest, however, for me its not necessarily money more so than time as my restriction. When you try to stream/work a full time job/have a family at the same time, it's hard going to more than one. I don't have the hookup as many reviewers and buy the ones only I am interested in and focus on only games that won't be released to the public minimum 3-12 months out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyril Sneer wrote:
And there is another way .....
If you are willing to volunteer at conventions you will get the badge and (depending on the publisher and the shifts you cover) a shared hotel room.

Most of the times you will get some goodies "on top of that" too .....

That is one of the ways I can go to 7isch conventions a year AND run my YouTube channel ....

https://www.youtube.com/c/NilsHerzmann

If you need more personal advice please send me a PM ....

Best
Nils

Volunteering is always a great idea. A lot of conventions will give you free or discounted admission for volunteering 'x' amount of hours. They are always looking for help, registration desk, library, runners, game masters, you name it. You still have the room and food to take care of, but it does help. Not only that, but you get a better view at what goes on behind the scenes at a convention, what's really making all that stuff work. It's a lot of fun.

Sorry, I was thinking volunteering in general. Yep, publishers are frequently looking for volunteers to run their tables at larger conventions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can support the secret cabal and watch it played and others through patreon and kickstarter. I'm sure a portion of that money goes to pay for the cons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warpi9 wrote:
Not quite sure where to put this but I had a question that's been on my mind for a while now.

How is it that Podcasters/YouTubers (channels), can afford to go to multiple conventions and buy a lot of boardgames? My family has a pretty good income. But man there's is no way I can afford Multiple cons, or even barely one a year, and buy games. Also I live near Columbus (Origins - 4 hours) and Indianapolis (Gencon - 5 hours). I do buy a game nearly every 2 weeks, is that excessive?

I listen to the Secret Cabal a lot and it seems like they are able to go to at least 3 cons a year. As well as watch it played, and Dice Tower (Though Vassel is able to probably because of funding), Undead Viking, RDTN.

I do have a new large screen tv, and rent/watch a lot of movies, and love to eat out spending $60+ once a week on a dinner with the family and about $50/ week on lunch. But pay $300+/month in student loans, (maybe that's it). But I have a very minor car payment at $80/month.

I'm saying this as to make clear that there is no judgment behind the highlighted portion, to you or anyone else, but it may be those podcasters can't afford to do those things... in terms of time and money. Something's gotta give, and they may be choosing a "life of cons" to forgo the things you yourself are enjoying.

I've known one friend who had to eat ramen noodles all the time when he had to deal with 2 mortgages at that same time.

I went to Gen Con in 2014 when I was between jobs, but I saved money by not having to fly, and managed to share a room with somebody for cheap (otherwise, I would've just gotten a room that's a 10 to 20 minute drive from the Convention Center at easily at around $80 a night). I also didn't buy any games (IIRC, I spent up to $10 on "trinkets"/accessories). I didn't even do any events that required money. It was all free seminars/panels, demos, and whatever was in the hallways, or free walk-in events.

I've heard from quite a few people here on BGG and IRL how they'd love to fly down to BGG.con every year, but it's too expensive, so they only go every other year.

And yeah, reviewers getting free copies to review is a nontrivial savings. As industry insiders, I'm sure they get other perks they take advantage of too.

This sort of prompted me to start this thread....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1604681/those-you-who-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
warpi9 wrote:

I'm saying this as to make clear that there is no judgment behind the highlighted portion, to you or anyone else, but it may be those podcasters can't afford to do those things... in terms of time and money. Something's gotta give, and they may be choosing a "life of cons" to forgo the things you yourself are enjoying.

I've known one friend who had to eat ramen noodles all the time when he had to deal with 2 mortgages at that same time.

I went to Gen Con in 2014 when I was between jobs, but I saved money by not having to fly, and managed to share a room with somebody for cheap (otherwise, I would've just gotten a room that's a 10 to 20 minute drive from the Convention Center at easily at around $80 a night). I also didn't buy any games (IIRC, I spent up to $10 on "trinkets"/accessories). I didn't even do any events that required money. It was all free seminars/panels, demos, and whatever was in the hallways, or free walk-in events.

I've heard from quite a few people here on BGG and IRL how they'd love to fly down to BGG.con every year, but it's too expensive, so they only go every other year.

And yeah, reviewers getting free copies to review is a nontrivial savings. As industry insiders, I'm sure they get other perks they take advantage of too.

This sort of prompted me to start this thread....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1604681/those-you-who-s...

Thank you amd that is kinda what I was wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.