Defenders of the Last Stand» Forums » General

Subject: Wow, just set up for scenario 1 &... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
With the overruns, there's only 4 oil/ammo markers left, is this normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
This happened during setup?

Just remember when an overrun occurs it doesn't cause a second overrun to occur just an oil depot to be added.

Also it is far from normal for that to happen during setup but not uncommon to have an overrun or two or three if you are unlucky. Part of the randomness of the card drawing to set up the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
This is how about half of my games have gone. I usually have 5-6 ammo and oil depots left on the side of the board. I've lost the game on turn three by running out of them. I don't mean everybody got three turns. I mean the game ended after the third ranger's turn. The game can be brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep Shane, pretty identical mechanism to Defenders of the Realm where you are adding tainted crystals.

Mmmm, tending to agree with you LargeGoblin, very brutal, however, in DotR you feel as though you're just fighting an uphill battle, with The Last Stand, maybe there's an outside chance of success??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I had 3 overruns the one and only time I played scenario 1. I found it far inferior to the other 2 scenarios, especially scenario 2. Really, there's no reason not to just play scenario 2 all the time, it's how the game is designed to run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
While I agree that scenario 2 is standard good stuff, I also like the thematic flavor of the other scenarios and look forward to more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Scenario 1 starts out as a mid-game like setup. Yes, there are a lot of Raiders on the board and may be only a few Ammo-Oil TOkens left off the board, but players also have a hand of Ranger cards and 1 Special card at the start. This should make the players very powerful if they use them wisely. Knock out a few Ammo-Oil tokens by spending aastions and discarding Grenade Icon cards to attack them. Really go hard at hot spots of Raiders on the first few turns. Keep in mind if you are a Defenders of the Realm player that strategies in this game are different. Ranger cards as used mush more in this game rather than just holdng them for the Leaders since there aremore ways to reduce the Leader's health beyond just attacking. Players need to Sabotage, gain special cards, attack Ammo-Oil depots, Scavenge wisely, Adventure and possibly mutate to become stronger.

I personally enjoy this setup because the initial pressure is very high and if the players focus on the wrong things at the beginning (like Missions) the conditions will often get worse. In this scenario, the players must fight very hard for the first few rounds. If the do so successfully, they will gain control of the board.

The goal of each scenario I design is to create a different gaming experience inthe context of the game world. I hope I have done that in the 3 base game scenarios and will continue to focus toward than end in any new scenarios I design.

Just my perspective for what it may, or may not, be worth.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, just to brighten the spirits of all of you regarding this particular scenario, in the more than twenty [20+] demo games [yes, full games] of this scenario I ran at Dice Tower this year, no one won the scenario.whistle

So, have at 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul, Scenario 1 should be easier than Scenario 2. I don't often have a single overrun during setup, and very rarely should you have have two overruns. There is only one possibility of having 3 overruns, that I am aware, but there may be others - that is if you draw two very specific cards that add 2 RR to location 16 and then 2 RR to 17. In a 50+ card deck, the odds of drawing those two cards is very low.

Your starting board should not have a lot of miniatures on it.

Having 4 ammo depots left in supply, which means you had 5 overruns, is not possible if set up correctly.

Remember these rules--

-Overruns occur when you need to place a 4th miniature to a location, you disregard placing that one or more miniatures on that location and add a depot. This first overrun causes you to add 1 matching miniature to each adjacent location.
-If an overrun causes a second overrun, you do not place more miniatures in that location or adjacent locations, and just place a depot
-In overruns, miniatures cannot spread into adjacent locations over solid lines

Thanks for playing the game.
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I absolutely love the different scenarios and how they feel unique each with a different set of challenges. Look forward to more!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what its worth, I have lost on the 2nd scenario three rimes, but finally won playing the 1st scenario on my 4th try. I concentrated on crowd control the first few turns, attacking spacea with 3 raiders and attacked oil rigs to draw special cards. I also used special cards to get rid of large bunches of raiders, and another special card to prevent the placement of raiders that would have caused a multiple oil rig placement overrun.

Of course after gaining control of the board I managed to get both of my rangers killed mid game (The Wizard of Atomics due to a bad roll fighting a giant spider on an adventure in the Gods Eye Forest, and Jake turned into a monstrosity after suffering a 2nd mutation after gaining multiple arms.). The game turned into a race whether I could buff the new rangers {Josuah and Pearl) and build up enough combat cards before the baddies made it to the Last Stand. Poor Pearl failed every attempt to gamble and get extra cards, and only drew a single sabotage defender card all game, but Josuah took advantage of his mobility to scoop up all 5 Karma tokens on the board by the end game and found the second special artifact to activate the laser.

At the end I still had Bama Bramble and Krank left, the last two only 1 space away from the Last Stand. I had been whittling down Bamas health all game and ahad him down to 1 health. Pearl sabotaged him with the one lone sabotage card she finally drew to finish him off, then went after Bramble with Josuah the same turn but both failed to roll a 6 despite scoring 6 hita on her and failed to bring her down. I lucked out as she rolled a 2 and did not advance to the Last Stand, and then spent my blood moon special card to prevent the drawing of raider cards and her possibly advancing, with Josuah the next turn unloading all 5 Karma tokens in a massive lasser barrage to (barely) put her down for good. I had been saving the Karma tokens and blood moon card for use against Krank, and sweated bullets as I drew the 3 raider cards. He was right next to the Last Stand and I had no way to prevent him from advancing. My luck held, and I used a gyrocopter card to get both rangers into a final battle. Kranks 3 tech cards only netted him 2 extra health to put him back up to 7 (we had weakened him earlier) and netted 9 successes on 11 dice to finish him off, including spending every special card left in the game.

Personally, I really liked the change of pace in this scenario vs the standard scenario 2. Lots more baddies in this scenario to contend with up front, but this is balanced by special cards up front to counter the raiders with, and more defender cards to use to move around quickly to reach heavy raider spawn areas right away, and to use to attack oil wells to draw more special cards. By the end of the game the laser made up for my lack of dice from special cards that were mostly spent already, and I lucked out for the win.

Bring on the scenarios Richard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the win Cthulhu Hunter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
enditen wrote:
Hi Paul, Scenario 1 should be easier than Scenario 2. I don't often have a single overrun during setup, and very rarely should you have have two overruns. There is only one possibility of having 3 overruns, that I am aware, but there may be others - that is if you draw two very specific cards that add 2 RR to location 16 and then 2 RR to 17. In a 50+ card deck, the odds of drawing those two cards is very low.

Your starting board should not have a lot of miniatures on it.

Comparing the three current scenarios:
- Scenario 1: board starts with 36-40 raiders/monstrosities
- Scenario 2: board starts with ~21 raiders/monstrosities
- Scenario 3: board starts with ~27 raiders/monstrosities (IIRC)

So, scenario 1 has by far the most raiders/monstrosities on the board at the start of the game.

In my experience, it's much better to have new players play scenario 2, as they have more flexibility at the start of the game to do what they want without risk of imminent loss. As they see more raiders come out and the first overrun occur, they will see the impact of those events and start to formulate a strategy. When I have new players play scenario 1, I feel like I have to provide a lot more strategy suggestions to the players, which makes me feel like I'm alpha gaming. For example, in my last game (scenario 1), the first player decided to gamble as his first action. GAMBLE!?! Why the hell would anyone gamble when the board is loaded with raiders and oil/ammo depots, and overruns could occur in 6-7 locations? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve hitchcock

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
,,,we broke open the box last night and played scenario 1,,,had plenty of minis on the board to start, but only 4oil/ammo,,,we played(2characters) for well over two hours(learning),,,we got the lightning machine built and eventually took out the earthling leader (the yellow yak rider, cant remember name, friends game)getting thru stage one,before we were finally overrun and lost with all oil/ammo on board,,,was really great fun and as a more fantasy leaning person, i enjoyed the madmax theme,,,look forward to the other card scenario building the plane!!,,,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Gitton
France
Dardilly
- SELECT -
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played scenario 2 two times, one solo with rangers and 1 with 3 other friends. 2 wins. I was surprised to win 2 times even if it was always a pleasure to play. I thought it was more difficult like Dotr. I will try scenario 1 to see how it feels. Is the scenario 3 harder ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

Scenario 1 starts out as a mid-game like setup...
Richard

Richard, thanks so much for this post about Scenario 1 - I had no idea about the scenario and figured it must be an intro scenario - I actually played the exact opposite strategy that you mentioned as I was playing more how you would play in Scenario 2.

And of course than you for regular active support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
DougA wrote:
Richard Launius wrote:

Scenario 1 starts out as a mid-game like setup...
Richard

Richard, thanks so much for this post about Scenario 1 - I had no idea about the scenario and figured it must be an intro scenario - I actually played the exact opposite strategy that you mentioned as I was playing more how you would play in Scenario 2.

And of course than you for regular active support.

I'm a big fan of Jason and 8th Summit games, but I really don't understand his earlier post regarding not having a lot of miniatures on the board for the start of scenario 1. It's almost like he wasn't involved in the final development of the scenario, or Richard changed it without Jason knowing about it. A simple analysis of the starting setup instructions for each scenario shows that scenario 1 starts with 70% more raiders than scenario 2, and 33% more than scenario 3. The numbers don't lie; there is a crap ton of raiders on the board at the start of scenario 1.

While Jason clearly intended scenario 1 to be the "intro", or easiest scenario, in actuality it requires the most knowledge of the game's strategies to be able to survive the first few turns. Scenario 2 provides the easiest setup for new players to get used to the new actions and strategies, without feeling like they have no chance of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.