Subject: Fully Catered Board Gaming Retreat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking recently about whether a board gaming retreat might be a viable thing.

Originally I thought it would be good for the grognards among us to play huge games in an undisturbed environment, but there's no reason why it couldn't be open to everyone. The venue itself would be pleasant and rural, obviously with the option to book consecutive days with overnight stays and so forth.

Anyway, I'm being a bit vague, but I'm sure you get the idea. What do we think? Could it work, if appropriately priced and generally rather nice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For present purposes, what is the difference between a retreat and a convention? If a retreat is a convention in a more rural setting, would the World Boardgaming Championships at the Seven Springs Mountain Resort qualify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question.

I was thinking more of a place where people could go to specifically play games that are either not catered for by existing conventions, or would be troublesome to play at a regular club, ie huge hex and counter war games. I suppose what I have in mind is more of a 'board gaming holiday', if that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well here is one that I would love to visit....
http://www.ravenwoodcastle.com/
Is this the kind of place you were imagining?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
God that place looks fantastic! Yes, that kind of thing, a sort of 'long stay board game club', in a friendly environment and a nice setting. As I think I've said, my original thought was that it might be nice for fans of massive hex and counter war games to hide away and re fight D-Day (or whatever) undisturbed, but maybe there is scope for 'board game weekends' or something similar?

I know I'm being vague, but I think there might be a nice idea in all that somewhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Probably the biggest event for monster wargames that need to be left up for days at a time is MonsterGame.CON at the ConsimWorld Expo.

"About MonsterGame.CON — The mission of MonsterGame.CON XVI, a CSW Expo exclusive, is to provide a dedicated venue for one to participate in the monster game of their choosing. A single game title. With today's demanding schedule and responsibilities, many gaming enthusiasts find themselves hard-pressed to find the time or colleagues necessary to orchestrate such an ambitious multiplayer undertaking. Such desire is usually relegated to never-realized dreams, or result in games being played over a disjointed, extended period. But no more! ConsimWorld Expo delivers a truly memorable gaming experience, delivering the realization, 'I finally got to play that game!'"

http://expo.consimworld.com/overview/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_smith_sw17 wrote:
God that place looks fantastic! Yes, that kind of thing, a sort of 'long stay board game club', in a friendly environment and a nice setting. As I think I've said, my original thought was that it might be nice for fans of massive hex and counter war games to hide away and re fight D-Day (or whatever) undisturbed, but maybe there is scope for 'board game weekends' or something similar?

I know I'm being vague, but I think there might be a nice idea in all that somewhere!

A few friends of mine stayed there, they said it was awesome!

Ok My mom has done quilt retreats ( I have seen ones for knitting, scrapbooking, work related team building, ect) You might look into the places that.
Basically they have cabins, or rooms, in sort of a bed and breakfast type setting. Meeting rooms with tables, nice hideaway location, I see no reason why they couldn't do a board game retreat.

Usually when my mom went on these a quilt shop sponsored it, you had to pay the fee, and they held classes there all weekend. Sometimes meals were included, sometimes it was pitch in, just depended on the location and what things were available. I dont know if the sponsor had to pay anything up front, but that would be something to work out with whatever location you find
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think you've nailed what I was thinking - essentially, a bed and breakfast for board gamers, very much along the lines of the quilt retreats you mention. Basically, a place to dork out to your heart's content with like minded people, with decent (although not lavish) food and such.

While considering this, I thought about maybe having guest publishers, or speakers, or whatever in, or people teaching the games (again like your quilt example), but rejected all those ideas. I wouldn't want to be organising anything that looks like a convention.

I do have a location in mind for this - a former stately home in the East Anglian countryside (ie, a lovely building in a lovely part of the country) and would originally look to host very small groups - literally, three to five people, ideally all playing the same game, and dorking out about it as much as they like. Want to dress up as Patton while you plan the drive into Germany? No problemo. Would rather you didn't dress up as Hitler, though...

Basically, the game is the event. Personally, I'd love to do something like that for a few days, away from the rest of the world. Not unlike one of those murder mystery weekends, I suppose. Sorry, I'm rambling! Too much coffee! Must go and get some gaming in to tire myself out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crito wrote:
Probably the biggest event for monster wargames that need to be left up for days at a time is MonsterGame.CON at the ConsimWorld Expo.

If I went to that, I might never come home...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_smith_sw17 wrote:
Yes, I think you've nailed what I was thinking - essentially, a bed and breakfast for board gamers, very much along the lines of the quilt retreats you mention. Basically, a place to dork out to your heart's content with like minded people, with decent (although not lavish) food and such.

While considering this, I thought about maybe having guest publishers, or speakers, or whatever in, or people teaching the games (again like your quilt example), but rejected all those ideas. I wouldn't want to be organising anything that looks like a convention.

I do have a location in mind for this - a former stately home in the East Anglian countryside (ie, a lovely building in a lovely part of the country) and would originally look to host very small groups - literally, three to five people, ideally all playing the same game, and dorking out about it as much as they like. Want to dress up as Patton while you plan the drive into Germany? No problemo. Would rather you didn't dress up as Hitler, though...

Basically, the game is the event. Personally, I'd love to do something like that for a few days, away from the rest of the world. Not unlike one of those murder mystery weekends, I suppose. Sorry, I'm rambling! Too much coffee! Must go and get some gaming in to tire myself out!

Yep that's basically what the quilt retreats were, I think some of them had as few as 15 people. One was just a "come get away and quilt in peace" type thing where you could sew till 3 am if you wanted.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim NayShawn
United States
Carmine
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Have you looked at www.icarustours.com? I'm trying to convince my wife we need to go next year devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimNayShawn wrote:
Have you looked at www.icarustours.com? I'm trying to convince my wife we need to go next year devil

Aha! A slicker version of what I have in mind! Thanks for the link. I reckon if you get your wife into, for example, D Day Dice now, she'll be up for three days of Reluctant Enemies by next summer. Lovely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bakermouse wrote:

Wow - they even have their own game collection...:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/150391/ravenwood-castle-g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
bakermouse wrote:

Wow - they even have their own game collection...:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/150391/ravenwood-castle-g...

Strong line up there. Euro heavy, but I'm it'd keep most of us quiet over a long weekend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Setear
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
They even have their own gaming *convention.* Next weekend!

http://www.ravenwoodcastle.com/event/con-castle-2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsetear wrote:
They even have their own gaming *convention.* Next weekend!

http://www.ravenwoodcastle.com/event/con-castle-2016

For a presumably low key part of the board gaming firmament, they seem to have their act pretty much together! Good for them, and makes me think that more places could do stuff like this... which is what I came into the thresd thinking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've done this for some time now. Off season Centreparcs ticks all those boxes. We (6 of us) usually go Friday-Monday and it currently costs out at £100 a head for three nights accommodation. They even do food delivery if you really can't face the walk to the shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
We've done this for some time now. Off season Centreparcs ticks all those boxes. We (6 of us) usually go Friday-Monday and it currently costs out at £100 a head for three nights accommodation. They even do food delivery if you really can't face the walk to the shops.

Thanks for this - yes, awesome idea. Can't argue with the price, either, and they presumably have bars for post game analysis. What kind of stuff are you playing there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do we play? Pretty much anything with a playing time less than 4 hours. The table in the chalet is plenty big enough for anything less than Mega-Civ. We try to mix it up. Yes they have bars, cafes, restaurants etc etc. Its nice to go for a swim in the dome for a break.

One year we stopped off at a Dutch Centreparcs on the way back from Essen for two days to crack open the new purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
What do we play? Pretty much anything with a playing time less than 4 hours. The table in the chalet is plenty big enough for anything less than Mega-Civ. We try to mix it up. Yes they have bars, cafes, restaurants etc etc. Its nice to go for a swim in the dome for a break.

One year we stopped off at a Dutch Centreparcs on the way back from Essen for two days to crack open the new purchases.

Ideal honeymoon. I'd need a different spouse, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the gaming retreat will be on Bora Bora sign me up! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.