Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as a newer player I’m not sure I played this scenario right. As a matter of fact I think I played it wrong looking back. But anyway, I was playing the Journey Down the Anduin from the core set. I made it to stage 3 of the quest. Which reads:
When Revealed: Reveal 2 encounter cards per player, and add them to the staging area.
Skip the staging step of the quest phase for the remainder of the game.

The encounter deck went empty during this stage of the quest. I had 2 enemies engaged. A Hill Troll (lucky me!) and a Misty Mountain Goblins. So we go to combat. I had no cards to deal to them. Which is correct because the deck doesn’t reset till the quest phase.

I kill the goblins but not the Hill Troll. And so the quest phase comes around again next turn. I quest but couldn’t decide whether or not the quest deck resets since I am skipping the Staging Step of questing. This text is under step 2 (page 14 of the rulebook):
If the encounter deck is ever empty during the quest phase, the encounter discard pile is shuffled and reset back into the encounter deck.

Since I skipped that step I played it as it didn’t reset. But now looking back on it I was wrong wasn’t I? Because the step didn’t matter. I was in the quest phase so the deck should have reset. Any advanced players want to let me know? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your second thoughts are correct. The quest phase still happens; you're still committing characters to the quest and resolving the quest. You're just not staging. So you should reshuffle during the quest phase.

It means more shadow cards, but there are worse things....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're skipping the staging step of the quest phase, not skipping the quest phase, the deck should reset.

Note that since only the staging step is skipped, the "commit characters" and "quest resolution" steps still happen. If you have an empty staging area and no active location that may not matter, unless you have a character that benefits from questing or exhausting in that step (e.g. Theodred for the resource or Arwen for the defense buff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have shuffled the encounter discard back into the encounter deck. Also - it isn't clear from your text whether the deck emptied after revealing encounter cards or before. If you completed stage 2 during the quest phase (when you normally would), you would shuffle the deck when it emptied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.