Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I wasn't in love with the tiles compared to everything else, so I decided to spend a little time working on them. My original idea was to go Simpsons with theme, but thought the better of it.

I glue my tiles to magnet strip and then use a dry erase board for the game board which keeps everything in place.

I need to work up houses and gardens yet, probably this weekend. Instead of all gardens I am thinking a mix of gardens, additions and pools.... We shall see.

**EDIT**
Final version complete... Files sent to BGG for approval!!
Approved and awaiting download. Any errors, please leave comments on file page.
Cwhitpan's Tileset

EDIT: Reworked it a bit based on suggestions....
Houses maybe tomorrow...
EDIT: Added house styles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Stared to work on new tile art today.
Not Simpsons, Bob's Burgers please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt FromVirginia
United States
Northern Virginia
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For your consideration - - The green icons that indicate beer stands seem to blend in to much to the green grass. Combine with the use of green trees and the beer stands and you may have some issues picking them out quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drink stands on corners shouldn't have facing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:

Unless I am wrong... The only place this would affect gameplay would be in the situation of the overpass.... And that doesn't appear on any of the tiles I own.

Edit: Although I see where it could be an issue on an adjacent tile now that I think on it.... I may have to adjust the parking lots...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
khesser wrote:
For your consideration - - The green icons that indicate beer stands seem to blend in to much to the green grass. Combine with the use of green trees and the beer stands and you may have some issues picking them out quickly.

I thought about that, but I can't change the green lest it be confusing as to the beverage, and grass and trees are green. One thought I had was to make it fall and color the trees....

Other than that I am willing to entertain ideas....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is really the biggest obstacle to me buying this. If you're able to complete this project, it may be enough to push me into finally taking the plunge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwhitpan wrote:
McJarvis wrote:

Unless I am wrong... The only place this would affect gameplay would be in the situation of the overpass.... And that doesn't appear on any of the tiles I own.

Edit: Although I see where it could be an issue on an adjacent tile now that I think on it.... I may have to adjust the parking lots...

On pretty much all inside corners it will matter. (though I don't recall offhand if there are drink stands on inside corners):

Let's say the drive way is on the horizontal pass: If I want to make a drink route passing through the vertical pass without touching the horizontal one. If there is no driveway on the vertical pass, it looks like I can't stop at the drink stand.

Anyway, it's probably safer just to have multiple entrances whenever a stand is on multiple roads. This is like real life anyway--- fast food places almost always connect to every road they are lined up on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Landine
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These look great! I would be very interested in the files if you plan to release the whole set.

Couple questions:
Have you tried them with a narrow black boarder like the originals? It makes the tile transitions nice and obvious.
Do you plan to remove the grid lines from the roads? or did you try it without and prefer it this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
The art is really the biggest obstacle to me buying this. If you're able to complete this project, it may be enough to push me into finally taking the plunge.

If the art is the only thing keeping you from buying this game then you probably don't actually want the game, you want some kind of set piece people can interact with. FCM is an amazing, intense, stressful-in-the-best-sense-of-the-word game and all of that is independent of component quality and physical representations of the game state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zlandine wrote:
These look great! I would be very interested in the files if you plan to release the whole set.

Couple questions:
Have you tried them with a narrow black boarder like the originals? It makes the tile transitions nice and obvious.
Do you plan to remove the grid lines from the roads? or did you try it without and prefer it this way?

I hadn't thought to try that specifically. I was thinking to fade the lines to make small little '+' signs instead of the full grid though. The edges will get the same border as the grid, idea being to create a more seem less look.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:

I can understand that. When a game costs this much, you kinda want to like all aspects of it, art and components included. This very reason is why I struggle to purchase an 18xx game. (I do have two on preorder though) That may be a future redux along the lines of Carthaginians' work, but one hurdle at a time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khesser wrote:

Exactly this.

McJarvis wrote:

And this.

cwhitpan wrote:
When a game costs this much, you kinda want to like all aspects of it, art and components included. This very reason is why I struggle to purchase an 18xx game. (I do have two on preorder though) That may be a future redux along the lines of Carthaginians' work, but one hurdle at a time!

I don't find Carthaginians' 18xx redesigns that great, although his redesign of 1825 beats the original by miles. The colors of the shares and tokens in the original are horrible to keep apart.

But I dislike the colored track on the tiles colored, instead of the tile itself.

The most important thing of a design is being clear in a functional way. This is what separates a good design from a bad design. 18xx games and games by Splotter are usually hard enough as they are. I don't want to make mistakes in a game, just because someone thought the design should look "nicer".

If I spend my whole evening playing one game it better be designed in such a way that my brain can quickly parse all the information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I might be persuaded to do an XXPaper file for 1825 at some point (though it would likely be for "all-of-1825-all-together" because that's how I play it). Unless some nice person did it first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really love this art style for the tiles.

Are you still working on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
Really love this art style for the tiles.

Are you still working on them?

Thanks Stefano!
Yes It is still a work in progress. I am about halfway. I need to do the tiles with the houses on them and then the additional houses/garden bits.

If all goes well, basic tiles should be done tomorrow!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Imho, dont do just colors for the roofs for the drinks. As a colorblind person, ots a pain in the but matching the shade of a printed color to the color on a wooden piece. Keep the symbols on the roofs or a sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipwilson wrote:
Imho, dont do just colors for the roofs for the drinks. As a colorblind person, ots a pain in the but matching the shade of a printed color to the color on a wooden piece. Keep the symbols on the roofs or a sign.

Good point, I will see what I can come up with. Maybe a sign on the roof.. Thanks for putting this out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work so far Chris. Personally, I love the starkness and retro look of the original tiles, but I think the work you're doing here looks good too, and if it helps more people enjoy this great game all the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the style!
I would remove everything ( car/trucks ) on the roads, tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
mbmb
These are great. Love the style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of house styles. It makes the neighborhood a bit more dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Seriously, these tiles look great, but why has nobody done a Bob's Burgers retheme yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo35 wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Seriously, these tiles look great, but why has nobody done a Bob's Burgers retheme yet?

Rethemes take time, effort, sweat, and tears---- and ultimately don't improve the gameplay experience enough to justify doing a retheme outside of simply enjoying doing rethemes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.