Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BelongsinRSP [+] [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope someone can help me out with this. I am religiously opposed to anything involving curses, demons, magic, or anything of that sort. That, obviously, rules out lots of games for me, particularly pirate-themed games, which tend to have curses in them . However, I was wondering if Robinson Crusoe has this same issue in all of its scenarios (I know there's one in particular about exorcising curses, but I could just not play that particular one... unless the other ones also have demons and curses and such).

Can anyone who's actually played it help me out on this? If it turns out that I have to pass on this game, I'll just wait for First Martians (where the theme would, I imagine, not include any of those elements that I don't like).

Please advise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe that scenario involves building crosses to ward of a presumably evil fog. But I don't think there's anything else to it. players don't experience any negative effects, iirc, other than they can't travel to those spots.

I think.

The rest of the game is pretty clean, however I think some of the exploration you wind up with strange artifacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
You will be drawing from an event card deck in all scenarios though and lots of flavor text there will have mystic related text including curses. Wait for Mars themed Robinson Crusoe on steroids coming out this year from same game designer. I highly doubt it will have anything related to witchcraft there but Ignacy is a living surprise so who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkers is also fun. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sites
United States
Lake Stevens
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love the game, I'd advise passing considering your concerns. It's not just the scenarios that have curses, but some of the events and mystery cards have them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell if this is a joke or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
Yeah... If it's Not a joke: this Game feels realistic without any supernatural stuff... If you lease out this one scenario (Even though that's Not Bad as well) I don't think there is anybody in that could offend you. And if there is, just put those Cards out of the Game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am opposed to curses, demons, and magic. They don't bother me if they're in a game, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:

It's not, there have been similar threads and inquiries before.

The game has the subtitle "Adventures on the Cursed Island", so besides that one scenario, you can indeed find a few hints about curses, ghosts, magic and other supernatural stuff throughout the game for thematic variety. Although it's done in a very subtle way and most events have no supernatural component to them, there can definitely be found in the decks.

So I'm afraid the game won't work for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet would also feature similar content in an even more subtle way though. Don't disturb the ancient alien tombs on Mars, people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
parp wrote:

Oh boy, have I got good news for those guys!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Magic and stuff isn't actually real; shouting "alohomora" at a door won't unlock it, regardless of what you may have seen in Harry Potter, (although I'm guessing you haven't because, you know, magic).

Better yet, even the REAL stuff in Robinson Crusoe, like guns and spears, can't hurt you because they're just bits of cards with the words "gun" or "spear" on them! Not like real actual spears that could poke you in the eye or anything.

So make-believe things like curses are extra, extra safe because they're not only not real in real life, they're not even 'real' curses, just bits of card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heart curses, demons, and magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Little Englander
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:
Kyur wrote:
parp wrote:

Oh boy, have I got good news for those guys!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Magic and stuff isn't actually real; shouting "alohomora" at a door won't unlock it, regardless of what you may have seen in Harry Potter, (although I'm guessing you haven't because, you know, magic).

Better yet, even the REAL stuff in Robinson Crusoe, like guns and spears, can't hurt you because they're just bits of cards with the words "gun" or "spear" on them! Not like real actual spears that could poke you in the eye or anything.

So make-believe things like curses are extra, extra safe because they're not only not real in real life, they're not even 'real' curses, just bits of card!

I doubt very much that is news to the OP.
Your post is patronising and offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on how staunchly you want to avoid these things. To my recollection the game never glorifies things like curses or demons. You can become cursed in various ways but it's always presented as a bad thing. Many of the concerning themes in the game can be avoided. There's even a Bible you can have as one of your starting items so I thought that was really cool.

All that being said I suspect if you are starting a thread asking then you obviously want to honor your convictions so my advice ultimately would be to choose something else. As a person with my own religious convictions about things for me personally I always find it best to completely avoid things that might not fit with my worldview, rather than seeing if I can find a way to work it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Little Englander
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
I hope someone can help me out with this. I am religiously opposed to anything involving curses, demons, magic, or anything of that sort. That, obviously, rules out lots of games for me, particularly pirate-themed games, which tend to have curses in them :(. However, I was wondering if Robinson Crusoe has this same issue in all of its scenarios (I know there's one in particular about exorcising curses, but I could just not play that particular one... unless the other ones also have demons and curses and such).

Can anyone who's actually played it help me out on this? If it turns out that I have to pass on this game, I'll just wait for First Martians (where the theme would, I imagine, not include any of those elements that I don't like).

Please advise!

I would avoid the risk, save your money and wait for First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:

So common sense/reality is offensive now... Who knew?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Little Englander
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:

No. But your patronising manner is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
parp wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:

I guess I'm just struggling to get my head around the idea.

I know plenty of people who avoid fantasy stuff because it's a bit naff and childish, but this is the first time I've seen evidence of anyone thinking it had any grounding in reality. It's like reading through the hundreds of "omg I'm sick of Cthulhu games they're everywhere!" posts and finding one with a poster who is genuinely worried about summoning Azathoth - it's just a bit mad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Little Englander
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
parp wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:

I know plenty of people who avoid fantasy stuff because it's a bit naff and childish, but this is the first time I've seen evidence of anyone thinking it had any grounding in reality. It's like reading through the hundreds of "omg I'm sick of Cthulhu games they're everywhere!" posts and finding one with a poster who is genuinely worried about summoning Azathoth - it's just a bit mad...

Could I be so bold as to ask your age?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
Could I be so bold as to ask your age?

Yes, clearly you could (because you just did).

PS I've decided I'm opposed to dragons, because they eat people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
parp wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:

For the record, the OP never said he was opposed to these things because he feared them in reality. He simply stated he had a religious conviction. I don't want to make assumptions about what his religion is, but as a person of faith it's entirely reasonable to me that he takes his beliefs seriously enough that he wants to avoid certain things. I get that not everyone understands that, but that's no reason to mock someone.

I feel like if someone wanted to avoid a game because it depicted anything they love in a certain light or clashed majorly with their beliefs whether they be political, cultural, religious or what have you they should be safe to ask about it without fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
England
Newcastle under lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely this is a joke. I try to respect peoples beliefs but if someone believes in demons,curses etc then a game that deals with them and destroys them must be a good thing? but the key is that this is a game and not reality just enjoy it for what it is.
The only significance of the word curse in the game is about equal to your own mention of the word in your question.
I can say that I have played and own the game and it does reference curses in a fictional way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
For the record, the OP never said he was opposed to these things because he feared them in reality. He simply stated he had a religious conviction. I don't want to make assumptions about what his religion is, but as a person of faith it's entirely reasonable to me that he takes his beliefs seriously enough that he wants to avoid certain things. I get that not everyone understands that, but that's no reason to mock someone.

I feel like if someone wanted to avoid a game because it depicted anything they love in a certain light or clashed majorly with their beliefs whether they be political, cultural, religious or what have you they should be safe to ask about it without fear.

If Cthulhu was real then I'd most definitely be opposed to his summoning, because BAD THINGS WOULD HAPPEN. However, because he is clearly not real, I find the idea that someone could be morally, politically or religiously opposed to playing a game about summoning Cthulhu mind-boggling.

I'm not sure where "fear" comes into the equation though - if I were to ask such an odd question on the internet I'd expect someone to question whether I was being serious or not.

(Although on reflection, it may have been prudent to wait for the thread to get RSP'ed before questioning the logic of the whole thing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Little Englander
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:

If Cthulhu was real then I'd most definitely be opposed to his summoning, because BAD THINGS WOULD HAPPEN. However, because he is clearly not real, I find the idea that someone could be morally, politically or religiously opposed to playing a game about summoning Cthulhu mind-boggling.

I'm not sure where "fear" comes into the equation though - if I were to ask such an odd question on the internet I'd expect someone to question whether I was being serious or not.

(Although on reflection, it may have been prudent to wait for the thread to get RSP'ed before questioning the logic of the whole thing).

Do you admit to mocking and patronising the OP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I encountered about 5 people on BGG so far who avoided Lovecraftian-themed games for thematic reasons: the Ancient Old Ones being called "Gods", the Elder Sign symbol, spells/magic, demons and so on.

I personally can't fully understand such a strict real-life "filter" (sorry for the lack of better words, pretty tired at the moment), but I can respect it if someone chooses to live his/her life this way. To each his/her own. I'm not asked or forced to avoid this material too.

More talk about games, less talk about personal world views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:
[q="toliveischrist77"] For the record, the OP never said he was opposed to these things because he feared them in reality. He simply stated he had a religious conviction. I don't want to make assumptions about what his religion is, but as a person of faith it's entirely reasonable to me that he takes his beliefs seriously enough that he wants to avoid certain things. I get that not everyone understands that, but that's no reason to mock someone.

parp wrote:
if I were to ask such an odd question on the internet I'd expect someone to question whether I was being serious or not.

I guess this is where our disconnect lies. I have a really hard time understanding why this is such an odd question. There are millions of religious people in the world. There are plenty of religious people on BGG. Is it really so uncommon for a person to express a disdain for a thematic element based on religious convictions that it's unbelievable that it could be anything other than a joke? I don't see it, but if that's what's happening here then so be it. It's possible I misunderstood mocking for genuine misunderstanding and if that's the case then I apologize.

Kyur wrote:
More talk about games, less talk about personal world views.

I agree. I'll stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.