JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The average weight for Mega Civ is 3.96... that puts it in the "Mage Knight" range of game weight.

But... Mega Civ is about as complicated as Small World, or maybe even Settlers of Catan with some expansion content added in. It's not a terribly difficult game to learn - in fact, I often teach players how to play while we play the game, onboarding them through the first few turns, and have had zero problems with that approach.

So clearly, the "weight" of the game is really about how long it is, how many components there are, how many techs - the "size" of the game, rather than the weight.

So, is "weight" a measure of size/mass? Or a measure of size/mass, with consideration of the environment in which it's played (which I guess is appropriate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kaplounenko
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
I now have full access to your systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
This horse has already been beaten to death in other threads, but basically 'weight' as a concept is an arbitrary conglomeration of complexity, depth, and game duration that is different for everyone.
It would be nice to have those metrics broken out separately, but I tend to use it myself to answer the question: "How long does it take to learn this game from scratch and play one full game, with the 'best' or average player count?" So yeah, 4 seems about right for Mega Civ because while thankfully it is relatively straightforward, it's still a very long game.

You can use some thought experiments to break my definition -- e.g. an entirely random game that takes a very long time to complete, a la War -- but this approach generally works well enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I missed this thread and started my own discussing complexity.
IMHO "weight" is a much broader concept then complexity but I imagine most people will use them as interchangeable.
IMHO Mega Civ is easy to learn but difficult to master. And I suspect the "low" weight is probably motivated by the ease of learning the game. I firmly disagree with OP's ascertation that it's on par with Smallworld of Settlers. Rules and mechanics are easy but that doesn't necessary imply that the game is. I'll use Diplomacy as an example, dead easy rules and mechanics but a very heavy game all the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.