Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
HEEEEEEEEEELLLP MEEEEEEEEEE..AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I like to make foam board inserts for many of my games. Some games I have no need, other games I feel the need simply because after I sleeve my cards, they fit a bit snug in the original game inserts, and I think that's the reason my cards are slightly bowing (which drives me absolutely bonkers). However, I'm not building those yet because I don't like throwing much of anything from my games out, so my conundrum is regarding the original plastic inserts and potentially selling my games if the need arises. As you may all know, space is premium real estate, so what do you do with your game inserts after you make a foam board one? Do you throw it out? Do you keep them? If I throw the original insert then one day sell the game, do you sell it with the foam board insert? What happens to the potential price of the game? I know used games go automatically for cheaper, but would it lose its value even more if it's sold with the custom foam board one?

If I kept them, they would take up so much space on their own. that's an irritating thought, but it's also irritating contemplating throwing them out. Bowed cards also annoy me. Yes I'm pretty OCD with my games.

I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter.
thank you very much, and happy gaming.

P.S. Apologies if I posted this in the wrong thread. I wasn't sure if I should have posted it in the general gaming section, the game valuations section, or the DIY section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If I were a potential buyer, I'd prefer unbowed cards to the original box insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
If I were a potential buyer, I'd prefer unbowed cards to the original box insert.

that's actually a pretty good point, and I would end up leaving the custom foamboard in there anyway, as well as the card sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Per aspera ad astra.
badge
I'm complately nermal.
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always prefer custom inserts, but that's me. The cheap plastic ones break and crack over time. Foam lasts forever! I'd never be upset over a custom insert if it was well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I care about none of these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
petoly wrote:

As you may all know, space is premium real estate, so what do you do with your game inserts after you make a foam board one? Do you throw it out? Do you keep them?

I would throw it out.

petoly wrote:

If I throw the original insert then one day sell the game, do you sell it with the foam board insert?

Yes, I would sell the game with the custom insert I made for it.
I have, in the past, sold games for which I had put the tokens in plano tackle boxes after throwing out the (pitiful) cardboard insert that was originally supposed to keep things "organized." I sold the tackle boxes with the game, no complaints from the buyer.

petoly wrote:

What happens to the potential price of the game? I know used games go automatically for cheaper, but would it lose its value even more if it's sold with the custom foam board one?

I don't think it would lose THAT MUCH value for not having the original insert. Particularly if the custom insert were better at storing things than the original (which custom inserts generally are... because they're custom built for exactly that reason. )

Honestly though, when I'm selling games, I'm selling them to get rid of them - not to earn any kind profit or even to recoup a portion of my original costs. I just want them gone, and I'd feel better about sending them to a new home than tossing them in the trash. As such, how these minute things might affect the resale price is not really a concern to me, even in cases where it might be a factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider the inserts part of the game unless they are functional. Just as I wouldn't consider punched out counter sheets and cut open component bags. I would think if anyone buying wanted to ensure the original inserts were there they would make the effort to inquire pre-purchase.

Maybe half of the games that I've bought used still had the inserts in them, and with rare exception I don't remember the seller even mentioning it. I would think people may pay a bit extra for a well designed functional insert considering most of the box inserts are trashed before the game is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frigerio
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
|*...******...*|
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:

Honestly though, when I'm selling games, I'm selling them to get rid of them - not to earn any kind profit or even to recoup a portion of my original costs. I just want them gone, and I'd feel better about sending them to a new home than tossing them in the trash. As such, how these minute things might affect the resale price is not really a concern to me, even in cases where it might be a factor.

also a good point. I wouldn't be trying to make profits myself, just getting rid of overstock.

I'm overthinking this like I always do with game stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Eide
Norway
Kongsberg
Buskerud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always trash the original insert when i buy a new game. Unless it is spesially made to fit every piece and sleeved card, like the Splendor box.
I sometimes make a foamboard insert for a boardgame I play alot or have tons of stuff in it. It makes set up and teardown much, much faster!

Well made box inserts are costly and you can buy premade foam board insert for $$$, some times the insert cost more than the game itself! So i would say a well made insert will absolutly increase the second hand price of a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think that a collector who'd be bothered by the lack of an insert would also be bothered by a game not being new in shrink. The collectors I know are most concerned about keeping components pristine, and since custom inserts tend to help with that it seems like it'd be a plus with that crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.