Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Anyone here who knows about desktop publishing?

I've been making my personal variant of the card game Glory to Rome (another Asterix retheme). I created the cards with a vector program, Omnigraffle, on my Mac and added several icons to the cards. I created the icons in Photoshop Elements. As they had irregular shapes, I saved them as PNGs - in that format I can keep the background transparent. I placed those icons on the cards, in the places where I wanted them, and generally, the cards looked nice on the computer screen. However, when I printed them (just on normal office paper, as a test), I noticed that the transparent background on the icons was not transparent on paper. On the cards you can clearly see the 'invisible' part of the PNGs, because the background colour is different from the rest of the card. You can clearly see the rectangle that is the PNG, even if you cannot see it at all on the computer screen.

I printed the card sheets as PDF. I tried it on two different colour printers. The card colours are very different from one printer to the next, but the PNG images are clearly visible on both prints.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice?

BTW, here's a picture of the cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of printing directly, can you first print them to a PDF and see if the transparency problem disappears in the PDF?

If so, then print the real thing from the PDF.

Or is that what you are already describing? It's unclear.

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this before in PDFs where Acrobat is attempting to reduce the "background" of the file so you use less ink, and that in turn makes the borders of transparent PNGs show up, because that's not "background".

It seems to be a setting in Acrobat itself, something about saving ink by making the background colours less strong.

I haven't solved it myself (I've only run into it a couple times) but maybe adding another layer in the Elements file "under" all the other layers so it doesn't think that your background is the background (by not being the lowest layer) might help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
lancemoody wrote:
Instead of printing directly, can you first print them to a PDF and see if the transparency problem disappears in the PDF?

If so, then print the real thing from the PDF.

Or is that what you are already describing? It's unclear.

Lance

I have tried that. Didn't work.

In omigraffle you can export a document as PDF. Further you can print a document as PDF. I tried both, and got the same result both times.

There are some other export options. They are all bitmap. I tried exporting to TIFF and JPEG, but those prints came out ugly.. So that doesn't seem the way to go. There are some other workarounds that I cam try (such as copy-pasting everything in another vector program and try to print from there), but it all is trial and error. As I don't have the cutest pour test printer at home, it's also a pretty slow process, with printer access being a bottleneck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Are you saying that you can see the bad outlines in the PDF that you print from Omnigraffle?

How did you make the above graphic?

I have Adobe creative cloud, if you want to send me the PDF, I'll take a look at it and see if I can do anything in Acrobat.

Feel free to PM me.

Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.