Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean Comeau
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all!

I just received my copy of Leaving Earth. Looking very much forward for the opportunity to play it.

I have read the rules only once and I've come up with something which for me is complete nonsense. Why would someone pay money (10$ at that) to get rid of a success card? Shouldn't you just concentrate on getting rid of the failure ones?

Thank you for your replies.

Jean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
comeauj wrote:
Hi all!

I just received my copy of Leaving Earth. Looking very much forward for the opportunity to play it.

I have read the rules only once and I've come up with something which for me is complete nonsense. Why would someone pay money (10$ at that) to get rid of a success card? Shouldn't you just concentrate on getting rid of the failure ones?

Thank you for your replies.

Jean
There is a chance that you keep drawing the same success card and that one of the un-drawn ones is a failure.
Of course you will draw that failure when it matters most and blows up a ship much more valuable than the cost of buying out the success when you drew it the first time

Basically it's about being certain that a technology works (no cards left), not just being pretty sure (having drawn only successes the last however-many-times, but still running the risk that there's a failure card you haven't seen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's late in the game, and you won't use the advancement much more, it can make more sense to keep the success card, knowing you have at least a 33% chance of success--maybe more.

A lot of the game is managing risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a two games where it occurred that i had only two outcomes left on the technology, using it several times (5x for one, 6x for the other, if I remember correctly), and then drawing a failure each. The chance is not very high, but it will occur from time to time, and if it happens and your space craft is valuable and/or doing a high point mission, this can be devastating. Think about trying to fulfil Man On Venus and losing the capsule with an astronaut in Inner Planets Transfer after surveying Venus, developing Re-Entry tech, bringing the astronaut there and on the surface and back up (it is a difficulty of 6 after all), just to see him vanish into space because your rocket or Ion thruster suddenly stopped working...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing not clear to me from the rules is whether I can draw outcome cards for an advancement without being on a mission. It says "when you use" the advancement. Could I waste the time to "use" a rocket that is on earth to draw outcome cards and perfect my advancement before launching a long mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to pay for the rockets, but sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
One thing not clear to me from the rules is whether I can draw outcome cards for an advancement without being on a mission. It says "when you use" the advancement. Could I waste the time to "use" a rocket that is on earth to draw outcome cards and perfect my advancement before launching a long mission?

Yes, and it is a normal practice for Juno and Atlas, since you do not usually use them to bring anything to orbit and you might not want to risk them blowing up or not working in space.

With larger rockets however I find I usually test them by bringing some cheap, but useful stuff (like probes, Junos, supply) to orbit. If they work, you have achieved something with your money, if not, the loss is not very great. It is a sign of me being desperate if I strap an Ion Thruster on a not fully tested Soyuz or Saturn to bring it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:

There is no concept of "being on a mission". You draw an outcome from your Juno advancement (for example) whenever you fire a Juno rocket. The game doesn't care why you're firing the rocket.

Each advancement card says when to draw from it; if you do what it says for any reason, you draw an outcome card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.