Thomas Royko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but...

My friends and I started a game publishing company, and are set to release our first card game. Its almost completely done (98%), but we still consider it in Beta. Its going to be going live on Kickstarter soon.

I was wondering if anyone know of any popular blogs/bloggers in the community or outside who review Beta versions of games?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ηaralampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Future Games we would do a review.
Check out our channel at YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ8wFwy71lvrqGqX0joYIfg

On the popular thing we are going there, but we are below 500 subscribers currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Royko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for responding back. I'll send you a private message and we can talk further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Growing old is mandatory but growing UP is optional!
badge
Tabletop Game News, Reviews, Sales, Design and Publishing. Visit us at www.iwillnevergrowup.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.jamesmathe.com/o-reviewer-reviewer-wherefore-art-...

My go to list for so many things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Royko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks James!

That list is a big help. We're somewhat in a pickle because we are already launching our kickstarter on Aug 1. The game for the most part is done. At this point we are going to launch without having reviews, but will be still reaching out to reviewers till the end of our campaign. Our funding goal is relatively low, and we have already gone to some local events to drum up support. We estimate that we already have at least 1/3 to 1/4 decently guaranteed support before launch.

For everyone who might be reading, here is a preview of our kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1373551266/1494410061?t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iceflow19 wrote:
At this point we are going to launch without having reviews, but will be still reaching out to reviewers till the end of our campaign.

That's a surefire way to limit your backers. Remember, most people decide on their first visit if they think they are interested or not from their first impressions of the campaign. For many people, not having any reviews may turn them away and there is a very good chance that they will not come back if you have those afterwards. By then it's too late. You only have one chance to make a first impression.

The URL link as pasted in here loses the token and I cannot see the campaign preview, but for me, no final artwork or rules on the page will make me skeptical. It's not smart, IMHO, to go with a hard start date without those important elements to get backers to trust you and make them want to back you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Royko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I realize that, but sadly I'm not the one making that decision, at this point I'd like to hold it off for a month. We already have final rules and final art, the game is done. There will be both a teaser video and a full playthrough video on launch.

Here is the link again:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1373551266/1494410061?r... ? token=337593a4

Please remove the spaces on the url.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Royko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Since everyone on the development team comes from a computer programminng background, we wrote our own card/deck builder tool with basic balancing capabilities. It allowed us to quick prototype the game, as well as export Print&Plays, publisher proofs (Currenlty set to work with the margins GameCrafter requires), and assets for TableTop Simulator. All the while supporting remote distributed collaboration with our guy who comes up with the a lot of the card texts and mechanics who is currently doing charity work down in Kentucky. The system is so effective, that we already have several expansions already in the wings with about 2/3 art done on them.

Here's a forum post with some background on the project:

http://community.havoccardgame.com/showthread.php ? tid=3

We plan on generalizing the tool in the future, and opening it up for other Indie developers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my perspective:

No reviews from known reviewers makes it look like another small time game that may or may not be fully playtested by blind playtesters and therefore is likely to have balance issues.

No link to rules only a video. I often look at campaigns at work, so video geared campaigns don't work for me. Without a link to finalized rules, it seems unfinished and again, will probably have balance issues.

Lots of hyperbole at the beginning of the campaign, and there is more background info and component descriptions than any kind of focus on the gameplay itself or what makes it that different (other than the vague
Hero vs Villain basis) from other deckbuilder games. The Legendary game series, for example, has something like this already like the Alien version where you have one player playing the Aliens and the other players defending.

In your case, I'm not clear how the deckbuilding works since you have two completely different sets of cards that can be used (I think?) so it seems like the players are buying from completely different stocks of cards to battle? I also have no clue how gameplay is in the second phase. Do you play quick hands of cards like Dominion, or something more complex like Legendary where you need a play area defined?

A big red flag to me is the idea that you will publish sets via KS and then the sales will be on TGC. Sorry, that tells me it's got no future beyond the single print run and isn't worth looking at further. I still get games via game stores/online stores, and like many want to combine purchases to cut down on shipping. TGC is decent for POD stuff, but simply isn't a destination for me to go to look at or buy games. Certainly not encouraging if someone shows me the game, I like it, and want to buy it at a con or store while it's fresh in my mind.

If I've added it up right, 110 cards for $25 is decent, but there isn't a definitive total listed.

For me, there isn't enough useful information to want to back yet, and
with no reasonable future distribution plan after the extremely limited print for the campaign, I don't see any need to back this. I do wish you luck, but the plan your group is putting in place limits its future and can possibly torpedo its life out of the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Royko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you Matt for your recommendations, this is why we posted the preview so that we can get feedback like yours to improve it. I would like to mention that this preview is incomplete and will continue to be updated over this coming week.

As for the rules not being present, we have a very solid version of the text right now, which we used for the previous two somewhat local conventions we attended and promoted at, and for the previous play tests we have done. The game itself has been play-tested to death over the past year including blind more recently. We also provide easy to understand turn reference cards for the game summarizing the majority of options a player has on their turn. If you want I can post them here for you to read. Our lead developer wants to make one final revision to the rules before posting it.

As for distribution, TGC was the only publisher that would work with us on our time table. Distribution for Kickstarter will also be handled through TGC. We are currently looking at more long term options.

Yes you are correct each player purchases from separate rows, each with their own mechanics. In the second half it moves to a dungeon-building competitive style gameplay. Its a bit of a mix between quick hand with a loose play area.

I'm in negotiations with reviewers as of today, a few luckily got back to me.

Hero Encounter Phase (1st Phase) Reference Card:

Hero Dungeon Phase (2nd Phase) Reference Card:

Villain Encounter Phase (1st Phase) Reference Card:

Villain Dungeon Phase (2nd Phase) Reference Card:

Thank you,

Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.