Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Lorna's Just another GoF report part 4 and 5 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 4: Thursday was good and I got to try some more games that had been high on my list. I started off with Leonardo da Vinci. This game feels similair to Pillars of the Earth or maybe not quite as heavy as Caylus. You place workers on areas of the board for resources which you turn in to perform works to earn points. Noting new here but ok to play if you are feeling like that sort of thing. To me the off putting part of the game is that in the first play since you are unfamiliar with how the game works you don't see the advantages in the different positions in the basic set up or if you tried the advanced set up you wouldn't know what to pick, so I think this game would improve with repeated plays. This was my second play of this.

Age of Steam the Northern California board. We played a 5 player game which was a bit crowded. Interesting board and I nade a couple of errors that doomed me in the game.

Qwirkle is a cool looking game where you play nice chunky wooden tiles to make sets of same color or shape or sets of one of each color or shape. The tiles have 6 colors and 6 shapes. The tile placement rules are the same as in scrabble and you score the same as in scrabble only every tile is worth one point. Plays as a nice filler for 2 or 3. I will probably pick this one up.

Next up was Khronos. This game has gottten mixed reviews and I can see why. It definitely takes a while to see how the time rules apply to tiles played. I suspect it takes a couple of plays to get a feel for it. The game play is very intriguing and I want to try it again. The game seems very tactical. Over all I enjoyed playing it and look forward to another play.

Something a little lighter was in order and we pulled out R-Eco. This was my first game of this with 3 (played with 5 previously). This a very nice filler from Japon Brand that Z-man is picking up which will make it more available. The rules are simple and game play is fast. I enjoyed this more with 3 than 5.

Another Japon Brand game was next, Traders of Carthage. This was my second play of this game and the first I played where everyone knew the rules. For detail you see my previous review here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1358360#1358360 . This game was mch more interesting since there was a lot less random card draw and buying than in my first game. I really like this game, it plays fast and is challenging. Fortunately Z-man is picking this game up as well. Highly recommended to give it a try.

Finsihed the night with Zooloretto. A longer version of Coloretto. I like Coloretto and I feel that the board game version doesn't add enough to the game for me to get a copy although it gets a thumbs up in the cuteness factor.

Day 5: The first game of the day was Age of Discovery which will be released soon. This game is about buying ships, paying them to sail and fulfill contracts to buy more ships. The ships will ultimately set sail on grand adventures and earn you VP. You are also given bonus cards at the end or the game with criteria to meet for the adventure/exploration aspect of the game which can also earn you a lot of VP. THe game plays quickly and has some set collection mechanics in regards to the ship. I felt the game was ok but I'm not sure about the bonus cards. The bonus cards provide a large portion of your winning VP but they don't feel balanced to me. Needs more plays to see if that's true.

Played an oldie but goodie and favorite of mine St. Petersburg.

Another newer game played this day was Pillars of the Earth. I had played this twice on BSW when it first was released with the German interface. Embarassingly I had volunteered to teach and then realized I had no idea how to set the game up! Pillars seems quite popular here. I only think the game is ok, along the lines of Leonardo da Vinci. I would play it but I'm not planning on buying it at this time. I'm not fond of the draw bag mechanism for turn order.

Day 6: The last day for me as I leave early in the morning. I may have missed a day somewhere in here as they tend to blur together and I have typed most of these quite late at night. Didn't really get much played as I was trying to make the rounds and get some chatting in. Played Gloria Mundi which I find extremely frustrating and annoying in that you spend your time time trying build things only to have them destroyed before you can use them. I had played it at Essen and had the same reservations.

Also played Havoc: the 100 years war.

We finished off the night with the annual closer for Steven and Linda World Cup Soccer by Australian Design group. My poor teams were Bolivia, USA and S. Korea. Heavy sigh, they all lived up to their historical reputations and were knocked out in the early rounds. I think Becky beat Robin in the finals. Done until next year....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.