Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the significant difference is that the religious nuts use real weapons and deadly violence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
The only difference I see is that LARPers know that they are role playing whereas people who believe in any religious text think that it's actually real or an approximation of reality.

Seems like a pretty significant difference. Isn't the main difference between LARPers and anyone just going about their daily lives the fact that LARPers know they are in a fiction and everyone else believes they aren't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
I find it very sad that humanity hasn't moved past this archaic type of thought.

leave us larpers alone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Well this is off to a pretty good start, and can only get better from here...

shake

That's a pretty good job of poisoning the well there, even for RSP with people who are much more experienced at it than you. Full marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, weirder clothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leave religious people alone - if you despise them because you're so much smarter than them, you don't need to do a victory lap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main difference is that LARP'ers know it's not real. And everyone else in the world is not even sure that what they are voting for is.

Religion, politics or basic human interaction are all about a degree of suspension of disbelief.

Just as I see why religion should have no special rights, it should not be treated differently form any other bollocks that people believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Leave religious people alone - if you despise them because you're so much smarter than them, you don't need to do a victory lap.
I think the issue maybe that (depending on who you are) religion does not leave you alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is how Zeus did it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PRO RELIGION:
- 6000 years of playtesting
- wide variety of expansions for different playstyles
- you don't have to wear a costume to play

PRO LARP:
- the GM doesn't hand out cancer like candy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I fall into 4chan somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I think the main difference is that LARP'ers know it's not real. And everyone else in the world is not even sure that what they are voting for is.

Religion, politics or basic human interaction are all about a degree of suspension of disbelief.

Just as I see why religion should have no special rights, it should not be treated differently form any other bollocks that people believe.

Like money or the state?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
LightRider wrote:
Also, weirder clothing.

your right Larping has never required me to wear the magical mystical onderwear nor self flagellate.

Perhaps they should declare it a religion it would then be a protected class, claim to be perscuted when someone offends your right to play -err practice asnd you subscriptions could be classed as tithes and tax free,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
The only difference I see is that LARPers know that they are role playing whereas people who believe in any religious text think that it's actually real or an approximation of reality. I find it very sad that humanity hasn't moved past this archaic type of thought. Religious texts are no different than the various rpg core rulebooks and scenarios. Shame on you god fearing/faith filled morons. Where is any verifiable evidence for your belief? It's nowhere because it doesn't exist except in your own mind and ridiculous belief systems. You may now resume your normal liberals vs conservatives battles. Thank you for your time devil

And you may resume sleeping off whatever you've been enjoying and suffering through the hangover the next morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Less elf ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
The only difference I see is that LARPers know that they are role playing whereas people who believe in any religious text think that it's actually real or an approximation of reality. I find it very sad that humanity hasn't moved past this archaic type of thought. Religious texts are no different than the various rpg core rulebooks and scenarios. Shame on you god fearing/faith filled morons. Where is any verifiable evidence for your belief? It's nowhere because it doesn't exist except in your own mind and ridiculous belief systems. You may now resume your normal liberals vs conservatives battles. Thank you for your time devil

Long time no see. You're better than this garbage. Stop trolling and let's have a real conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:

2/10, boo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Long time no see. You're better than this garbage. Stop trolling and let's have a real conversation.
Hey Moshe, you're too kind ... I'm certainly no better than this ... every year or so I post some anti religious rant as the venom builds up beyond my tolerance levels. This year a combination of street preachers, family, and the muslim guy in the office talking about rama dama ding dong put me over the edge.

Unfortunately, I rarely have time for real conversation any more. Stoopid work keeps getting in the way and my schedule is filled with fantasy based pursuits otherwise. I was wondering how you were doing after seeing your post in rpg rsp about LARPing and your story bout your dad and D&D.

I've been playing a bunch of pathfinder lately on roll20 which made me think about the many similarities between religious texts and the rulebooks/scenarios from rpg's. Burning bushes and snakes that talk, wagers between gods and devils, dragons, mystical horsemen, mystical realms, etc...

I'm back doing professional physics and loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:

rylfrazier wrote:
It's not a victory lap as we've not even left the starting line. It's just a rant as religious people don't leave me or the society that I live in alone (as Boaty mentioned) so I vent sometimes against the misogyny, homophobia and general senselessness of faith based belief. The only places I can vent without violent confrontation from the religious are here and at work.

But misogyny and homophobia that aren't faith-based are the kinds you're fine with?

KissaTaikuri wrote:
[q="growlley"]Perhaps they should declare it a religion it would then be a protected class, claim to be persecuted when someone offends your right to play -err practice and you subscriptions could be classed as tithes and tax free,
This is an excellent idea though I'd rather see religious organizations taxed. State budgets would be a thing of the past as the coffers would be overflowing. Again, I'm with Boaty in the sense that religions should not be afforded any special privileges. The newly constructed Noah's ark with dinosaurs would bring in a landfall of cash.

Ah yes... the "tax the church" aspect of things. Once again, separation of church and state is a two way street. And if you really don't think that people would use taxes in order to subjugate all of faith or just certain ones, you're blessedly naive. Seriously, you don't think that we wouldn't see Muslim churches taxed at a higher rate than Christians in this current environment? Oh, it wouldn't be anything direct like "Muslims must pay more," it would just be singling out a feature that is unique to the Muslim faith and taxing the hell out of that.

And, of course, if you tax a church, the first thing that will suffer from it is their ability to provide community service and disaster relief. But if that comes at the expense of sticking it to The Man (In The Sky), hey. Small price to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine W
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's not -

Orthodox Judaism is full time LARP.

Costumes
One main rulebook, thousands of books interpreting rules
Academies devoted to studying the rules
People given authority to adjudicate the rules
Full time involvement
Factions
The ability to join or leave the system
Mission-oriented
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
I think the significant difference is that the religious nuts use real weapons and deadly violence.

Actually, I'm pretty sure crazy LARPers can -also- use real weapons and kill people.

I mean, crazy is crazy. Remember those girls who conducted a sacrifice in the name of Slenderman?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
And, of course, if you tax a church, the first thing that will suffer from it is their ability to provide community service and disaster relief. But if that comes at the expense of sticking it to The Man (In The Sky), hey. Small price to pay.
The money from taxes can be earmarked for community service and disaster relief without the proselytizing from the church. No need to stick anything to any imaginary man in the sky.

Thus proving you just serve another god otherwise known as The State.

Anyone who wants charity taken from the public's hands and placed in the government's is not worth arguing with. You've obviously got an axe to grind based on personal experiences and you want "those people" who "hurt you" to suffer.

You are disgraceful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Meh. At least that's debatable unlike imaginary gods and beliefs without evidence.

Yes and no. It's true there is no "evidence" like what would be considered for the scientific method or legal proof. But that doesn't mean there's no evidence. It just means you refuse to accept the evidence I experience. So there -is- a debate to be had. It has been going on for centuries and will go on for centuries still. But since one person's evidence doesn't qualify as another person's proof, there really won't ever be a resolution.

So maybe it's not that it's not debatable. It's just not debatable with you. But please, keep belittling everyone who doesn't share the moral relativist high ground with you. It really speaks well of where you're coming from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
It just means you refuse to accept the evidence I experience.

Then it is not evidence at all proving the existance of god but merely suggesting you may be suffering from an irrational belief and possibly mental illness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretender to the Throne of Alsace-Lorraine
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I dunno, one difference might be that religious beliefs have inspired many of civilization's finest works of art.

LARPing, well, somebody already posted that lightning bolt video, so I'm plum out of examples of LARPing's culturally significant contribution to mankind's creative output.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.