Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi y'all,
Just got the game and unboxed....have not played as yet....and I do have a question ...might have missed this in the rule book...here goes..
Let's assume you finish a successful Solomons campaign....do you roll for another area patrol assignment to start the next patrol/ mission? I am assuming that is what one does but want to make sure..thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Totus tuus ego sum, et omnia mea tua sunt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. For your first patrol and for every subsequent patrol following refit, you roll 2d6 and consult the Patrol Assignment Tables ([P1p] or [P1a]). You can find the Game Play Outline in section 6.1 and the Patrol Assignment procedure under section 7.0. Happy hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks....as a former tin can sailor...long time ago....it will be fun to be the hunted rather than the Hunter ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While scanning the rulbook under the promotin section,i.e.,11.2.1 under the Lt.cdr.and in the blue box below,there is a reference to "the currently active list on the chart,depending where he is based."
How does one tell what is inactive vs.active?what seperates the two?
Thanks,
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
While scanning the rulbook under the promotin section,i.e.,11.2.1 under the Lt.cdr.and in the blue box below,there is a reference to "the currently active list on the chart,depending where he is based."
How does one tell what is inactive vs.active?what seperates the two?
Thanks,
Tom

I understood that to mean you can select any of the missions from the current (active) date period and base (Australia or Pearl Harbor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...that makes sense...rule book is trying,and apparently suceeding,in fooling an old fart!
Thanks,Amigo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe me, it really isn't trying to fool you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wedgeij wrote:
Believe me, it really isn't trying to fool you!

Well,at my age...a sparrow could fake me out!
Only started one patrol....loving the variables...just wann get it right..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, welcome to Silent Victory!

You now have enough GeekGold (GG) to purchase this MB, mb, or any other you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Georgec.so kind of you.....is there an Avatar available that features life boats and Mae Wests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I know of. You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another noob question..this one concerning torpedo spreads..
If one has steam and electric torpedos loaded in both the bow and stern tubes...can the spread fired contain a mix of both?Or are u limited to just one type?
Thanksl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can fire whatever you had loaded in the tubes.

Is there something in the rules that is causing confusion? Not that there's anything that can be done about it now, but if we get a reprint of the game it would be an opportunity to add clarification if there's a specific section that gives the impression you can only fire electrics or only steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wedgeij wrote:

Is there something in the rules that is causing confusion? Not that there's anything that can be done about it now, but if we get a reprint of the game it would be an opportunity to add clarification if there's a specific section that gives the impression you can only fire electrics or only steam.

Ian,
I saw nothing in the rules that specifically addressed my question..Just something that randomly popped into my head...I might have missed a rule book section referencing my question,but I did not come up with anything..
Thanks for the clarification ..Also though this was a good way to avoid penalties (where applicable) for using electrics....figured it might give me better odds of hitting with a mix...of course,your wake to the target is visible...so the player's dilemena is wether to risk a +1 DRM detection in order to suffer a no to hit modifier...great game!
Thanks,
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
Wedgeij wrote:

Ian,
I saw nothing in the rules that specifically addressed my question..Just something that randomly popped into my head...I might have missed a rule book section referencing my question,but I did not come up with anything..
Thanks for the clarification ..Also though this was a good way to avoid penalties (where applicable) for using electrics....figured it might give me better odds of hitting with a mix...of course,your wake to the target is visible...so the player's dilemena is wether to risk a +1 DRM detection in order to suffer a no to hit modifier...great game!
Thanks,
Tom

You can fire whatever mix of "fish" you desire. If it is both steam and electrics, it will however mean more bookkeeping for each individual torpedo, as there are different DRMs for each type..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lot more though James....both have +1 modifiers..for different reasons..so it will be easy to do one while doing the other...
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Walla
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
Another noob question..this one concerning torpedo spreads..
If one has steam and electric torpedos loaded in both the bow and stern tubes...can the spread fired contain a mix of both?Or are u limited to just one type?
Thanksl

Well in the rules there is nothing to prevent this. However if firing a mix of both electric and steam at a single target you run into some problems due to the speed differential between the two. The TDC would not be able to correctly calculate the attack with two different torpedo speeds. Now you could set the speed of the steam to low but that doesn't exactly match the high speed of the electric. If you select two different targets that's more workable but still has some problems. Since the steams would travel faster they would potentially warn other ships in the convoy whether they hit or not and they could take evasive action before the electrics arrived. Normally when the electrics were first introduced the skippers loaded the electrics in the aft and the steams in the forward torpedo room. That way one never ran into the problem of having one or two of each left in one torpedo room. Now did this ever happen. Well I can't remember reading an account where a mix of electrics and steams were fired at a single target. But I have read accounts where the two were used in an attack but the electrics were fired from the aft at a different target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You make valid points....however,the speed factor would,IMHO,be the defining factor....could the TDC handle,indivually,estimated time-to-target,thereby getting s better handle on how much time elapses before impact?If it is short enough,the explosions(assuming one is on target with no duds)might not matter as reaction time for the enemy ships might not allow enough of a time window for evasive actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.