Michal Kostan
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have trouble winning the T3 tutorial scenario "Recon Roundup" as the British. In turn 1 I always try to encircle and destroy the German recon platoons in hex 0807, but although I can easily get the maximum 5:1 odds against them, they seem to be able to retreat and exit the map in the subsequent German action phase easily almost every time, unless the British player is very lucky and rolls very high.

In the Scenario Book it is suggested to move British carrier platoons to hexes 0607 and 0608 (this is probably a mistake - looks like it should be 0607 and 0808), behind the enemy recon platoons. The British are then supposed to use the concentric attack bonus and deny the German recon platoons a retreat path, forcing them to take all losses as step reductions.

I just cannot see how this could be done. Unless the British player is very lucky and rolls a 10-12 on the CRT (i.e. inflicting 5+ hits on the recon platoons, thus exceeding their retreat limit of 4 hexes), the Germans can retreat to the woods hex 1008 or further (depending on the CRT result), as indicated in picture 1. They have to take one step loss in hex 0908 (as per rule 8.5.2.2), but one of the platoons can still make it to the woods.

Afterwards, during the German action phase, this platoon can use the roads to exit the map from hex 1611 (which is within four hexes of the 12SS supply source hex 1615, as per 4.2.1) - see picture 2, winning the scenario in turn 1, while the British are unable to prevent it.

Am I doing it correctly or is there a rule I am missing?

Thank you, so far I am enjoying this game a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I don't recall this being an issue. Off the top of my head, I'd say place a British infantry company in 0707 during the first Action Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Kostan
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

I don't think it is possible to get a British infantry company to 0707 during the first action phase due to the German ZOCs. Also, I may be missing something, but I don't see how that move would prevent the German recon platoons from retreating to 1008.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I was looking at the wrong group of Germans. I'd have to set this up and play it to say for sure, and I'll try to do that later tonight and get back to you. But consider that the newly-arriving British battalion which enters the map on turn 1 will be strung out along the road (including hexes 1207 and 1208) during the German turn 1.

Another option, if you're worried about the German recon infantry slipping off the east map edge, would be to leave one British Scout Platoon in the vicinity of 1410.

However, what I'm finding most troubling is that my tips recommend leaving a British infantry company or two in 0506 on turn 1, and there's no way they can get there. That leads me to believe that there may be a typo in the British setup. It's possible, for example, that the British are supposed to set up in or adjacent to hexes 0802 and 0903 but the italicized portion of the text somehow got left out of the final book.

I'll need to go back to my original docs for this scenario and get back to you with an answer. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. It is possible for the British to put an infantry company in 0506 on turn 1. They use road movement, then cut through the woods hex. But this doesn't address your original concern.

I went back to some older versions of this tutorial (Word docs from mid 2015) and nothing appears to have changed in the setups or victory conditions. My guess is that I originally playtested the scenario using German breakdown inf platoons with a MA of 5, then decided to convert these to the 15/26 Recon Company (for simplicity) without considering how this would affect their retreat limits.

I suggest the following fix. Change the victory condition to:

"The British player wins if he controls three or more Rauray village hexes, and at least two of four German units of 15/26 Recon Infantry Company have been eliminated." (Previously, you had to eliminate all four German units of 15/26.)

I think this might be the simplest fix. Sound reasonable to you? If so, I'll include it in the next version of the errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark - jumping in here just to say I have rarely seen such a dedicated designer provide such detailed and loving support for his game. You really should know that, this is not the norm. Kudos to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Kostan
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that solves the problem perfectly. The escaping recon platoon could still be a nuisance for the British, but it cannot guarantee the Germans an easy victory anymore.

Mark, thank you very much for your incredible support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What came to my mind first was to remove the movement restrictions on the recon platoons and/or the reinforcing battalion. I wonder if diverting one of the four carrier platoons from that side of the map would be enough to cut off the German retreat while still providing enough force to go down and hold the town.

That being said, I think the suggested fix works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way you think, Mike. That solution was actually the first to cross my mind. I pushed some counters around last night and tried adjusting the scenario several different ways. I saw a couple of potential problems with lifting the movement restriction on the Carrier Platoons.

For one, there is still an escape route for the west-most group of Germans (the units that set up in 0606) into the village to their west via the field at 0507. You'd have to literally surround both German hexes, with a British unit in each and every hex, to avoid all recon infantry from slipping through since they only have to take a single step reduction as they pass through eZOC. Their high retreat limit of 4 hexes is part of the problem here. Preventing all Germans from escaping isn't practical because it cannot be done without altering the British setup and/or diverting multiple Carrier Platoons from Rauray. It also doesn't demonstrate the lesson I was trying to teach regarding Carrier Platoons, plus it would invalidate many of the tips in the Strategic Notes section. Tweaking the victory conditions seemed like the lesser evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
I stand corrected. It is possible for the British to put an infantry company in 0506 on turn 1. They use road movement, then cut through the woods hex. But this doesn't address your original concern.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it seemed the best place to raise my issue:
The Strategic Notes say to occupy 0506 with a Hal infantry unit, but if it starts in 0801 it doesn't seem to be able to reach 0506 in 5MP...
0801 is tertiary road, 0802 is secondary. I'd assumed that meant a cost of 1MP to enter 0802 from 0801, as the secondary road doesn't extend in to the starting hex...but the advice about occupying 0506 with a Hal inf is making me doubt my assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, you are correct. It would take 5.5 MPs for a Hal infantry company starting in 0801 to move to 0506 via the woods hex at 0505. However, the Linc Infantry Battalion starts in 0802 and can reach the destination hex in 4.5 MPs. So it looks like the strategic note should have referred to occupying the hex with Linc infantry, not Hal infantry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a relief.
Thanks for the rapid response Mark- and for what appears to be a very innovative system. I'll reserve judgement until I've experienced it in full, but it potentially sets a new benchmark balance of scale, detail and abstraction for tactical combined arms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.