GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Heroes and Monsters pack or Lieutenants? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I've been looking at some Heroes and Monsters/Lieutenant packs and was wondering, which provides more fun/replayability to the game?

Also, how does one incorporate the quests in the Heroes and Monsters pack to the game? Do you guys usually play it one off/or...?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not knowing what you have already, I would suggest the heroes and monster packs first. Not only do they give good, fun and varied options for both the heroes and overlord, they do little to increase the complexity of the game. Depending on your game group's (or your overlord's) experience, this may be a good thing. Also for the overlord, you will have more options to choose from when picking monsters for a scenario to make the hero's lives more difficult devil.

On the other hand, once you feel you have enough monsters/heroes, the lieutenants add a lot of variability and thematic flavor across the game, as they give a named character to 'chase' you across a campaign and can add some strength to the overlord (something many feel is needed). They also add a few new mechanisms to track; nothing too hard, just something to consider again depending on you experience level with the game.

Whichever you choose, they both add something fun to the game, but in terms of complexity and ease of addition, I would go with the heroes and monsters first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy one or two lieutenants and then monster packs. Lieutenants will help the OL alot with their mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I advise getting 1 or 2 lieutenant pack before anything else as they help in balancing the game a bit and make it more interesting and fun for the overlord.

After that, value for money is:

Big box expansions > Small box expansions > Hero&Monster Packs.

Unless you can get them at a discount, I would not get the H&M packs before buying all box expansions.

The quests included in the H&M packs come with a rumor card you can shuffle in the rumor deck for the overlord to draw before beginning a campaign. It is a bit pointless to do this without also having at least 1 small box expansion.

One good thing about the H&M packs is that the quests are better balanced for campaign play than those of the small box expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies.

How might a lieutenant's plot deck help to boost the game? Also, will it skew the campaign in the overlord's favour?

I've not been playing with rumour cards, do I have to include them if I get the plot decks?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.