GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,435 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Star Wars Miniatures Game for 10-yr old & Adult rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
We are asking for your recommendations for a Star Wars miniatures game for a 10-year old and an adult.

We welcome all your thoughts, including lighter games, or using variants on the heavier ones.

We sure appreciate your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have really enjoyed the XWing series with ur family.

Easy Mode: fewer points and less add-on cards.

Full combat mode: 100 points with access to all of the additional cards.

The rules are really quite easy as a basic game. Where it gets complicated is the addition of all of the card powers and trying to keep track of them. But just loading up the shields and flying the crafts is easy and fun. Lots of replay too.

Check it out. I suggest one base set and then pick two of your favorite ships from both sides empire and rebel to start.

-m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight is currently the go-to for Star Wars games.

X-Wing Miniatures
is probably the easiest and least expensive to get into. Well, the least expensive to get started. They've added so many to the collection the sky is the limit.

Armada if you prefer big capital ship fights. The initial expense is a bit higher.

If you want guys on the ground shooting each other with blasters and swinging lightsabres, then Imperial Assault is what you want.

And finally, my favorite, Star Wars: Rebellion. A very macro strategic view of the war.

All of these in my opinion are reasonably accessible to a 10-yr old and yet have plenty of gaming meat on the bone for adults, but I would recommend sitting down with him to watch some youtube demos of these games and figure out the one with the most appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Assault!!! My nine year old and I have played it a number of times and enjoyed it a lot. I just ordered a bunch of the expansions. We play the skirmish mode for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you guys so very much for your help.

We decided to go with X-Wing skirmish mode.

We appreciate the input about watching a video with the boy--we hadn't thought of that.

Thanks, again, so very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomandJonna wrote:
Thank you guys so very much for your help.

We decided to go with X-Wing skirmish mode.

We appreciate the input about watching a video with the boy--we hadn't thought of that.

Thanks, again, so very much.

Cool. Now build shelves so he can proudly display all his expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Expansions...you mean they build expansions for this game???whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy R
United States
Germantown
Ohio
flag msg tools
Nothing but the rain.
badge
Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

Ikea shelf? 3 levels of glass and then the base level? If so, I have the same one with all levels filled by my x-wing collection: top for Rebels, second for Imperials, third for Scum, and the bottom for overflow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

...and this isn't even for OUR kid cry

Seriously now, where did the paint jobs come from...did you do those? I know those aren't all stock jobs...Oh, and the shelf is nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing miniatures game - all day and twice on Sunday.

My 6 year old can play it somewhat. I've seen 8 year olds at tournaments, so I'm guessing your 10 year old would be fine. But adults play it for the most part. It's amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.