Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finally gotten around to opening and attempting to shuffle the last 3 or 4 expansions I've received (as Christmas and birthday gifts) into my main Small World box.

Over the last couple years, I had come to the decision that my preferred method of unit organization (poly-bagged chits with the unit type and count written on them) had grown far too unwieldy, and now would be as good a time as any to figure out a new way to organize things.

After putzing around with the unused stash of Plano, Flambeau, and generic craft boxes I had on hand, I decided to go to Michael's and see what better option might be available to me.

Amidst the smattering of boxes I bought, one really stood out from the rest.

https://www.michaels.com/craftmates-lockables-organizer-2xl/...

I had seen these on several other visits, but they always looked like they'd be far too small for anything I needed. I was dead wrong. They fit the 1" unit tokens like a freaking glove. In addition to that, because of a slight curve of each drawer's door, it will gently hold the unit marker that lays up against the flat, clear end of the drawer in place so that you can easily and clearly see what's inside. The ONLY real drawback I think they suffer from is that they can only hold a stack of 19 tokens, so Skeletons will need to find another home along with any of the units that come with additional chits (Trolls, Ice Witches, etc).

I haven't tricked out the whole box yet, but I had to share the fact that these things fit the chits so perfectly.

A filled 2XL. The space inside is juuuust big enough for them to slide around inside except for the very first chit.

Showing the trapped chits on the hinge side of the drawer.

A 3XL filled with Skeletons and the other "big chit" armies. I unfortunately won't be able to fit Ghosts or Flames without doing some chit modifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks promising, how hard is it to fish the pieces out though? Looks like there is not room to fit fingers in to some of those bins. Does it allow unlatching one door at a time so you can safely dump them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
Looks promising, how hard is it to fish the pieces out though? Looks like there is not room to fit fingers in to some of those bins. Does it allow unlatching one door at a time so you can safely dump them?

Quote:
Create your own customized storage system! Whatever your craft of choice, with Lockables Organizers you can keep everything neat and tidy and right at hand when you need it. The patented lockbar system of this organizer allows you to open one bin at a time, so there is no bin spillage or migration! Perfect for brads, beads, buttons, sequins, needles, pins, embellishments and more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each door can be opened individually, and you can actually pull the little lock bar out completely without affecting how well the doors close. In addition to that, the side opposite the hinges is curved, so pieces can easily be scooped out without getting stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after some minor box modification (and a bit of Dixit expansion destruction) my copy of small world is packed up and ready for traveling. I ended up using 6 of the 2XLs, one of the 3XLs, an old unnumbered Plano, and three random cardboard craft boxes I always buy at Michael's because they fit inside of board game boxes so nicely.

There's room for a couple more expansions too, till I'll have to rethink things. :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james howlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip guys. I ended up putting everything in the 3XL's since I don't care if it fits back in the original box.

https://www.michaels.com/craftmates-lockables-organizer-3xl-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyinsar -
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3XLs have the advantage of letting you group the Trolls with their Lairs, Leprechauns with their Pots of Gold, etc. They also fit in the box but the lid won't close all the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.