Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time my group played Phase 10, we misinterpreted the victory conditions. A couple of games later we discovered the error, but after comparing our way to the correct way, we overwhelmingly preferred our "incorrect" version, and have happily played the game using our altered victory conditions ever since.

Our rule is very simple: The player with the lowest score wins. Period. The game still ends when any player completes the 10th phase, but the final score determines victory.

I'm wondering if there's some horrible flaw in our rules that we're not seeing.

Our games have been very competitive and enjoyable. For us, the scoring is the interesting part, while the completion of phases is merely a mechanism to regulate the game's progress.

Actually, I'm not sure our rules interpretation even makes that much difference, since the player with the lowest score in our games has almost always been the first to complete the 10th phase anyway.

Any thoughts you might have, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Eddy Bee

"Once a gamer, always a gamer!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:A Different Way to Play
It makes some sense that the player with the lowest score is usually the first player to finish the 10th phase, as that player must have gone out more than any other player, and thus not scored points as many times.

However, it's certainly feasible that a player at a higher phase could get absolutely screwed for one hand, giving them a ton of points and costing them the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fuhs
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't keep score at all! It's much easier that way. Our rule: FIRST person to play their 10th phase onto the table wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.