Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] 1672: The Lost Crew (2016 Solitaire Contest Entry) Contest Ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1672: The Lost Crew

For consideration in the 2016 Solitaire Contest
Categories to include
Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray
Best Easy to Build Game
Best grayscale/low ink printing

By Mike Heim
1 page -- Solitaire map-building survival game

About 60 minutes

You and three of your fellow shipwrecked sailors have spent three weeks on this small South Pacific island after a storm smashed your ship into some shoals. You have cannibalized what you can of your wrecked caravel and created a tiny sloop to get you to the Indies. However, you are in uncharted waters and have heard rumors of cannibal tribes on islands dotting this vast ocean.

This is the second game in my XX72 series. It shares similar mechanics as 1572: The Lost Expedition but adds a worker placement element. I plan to make this one not as difficult as 1572, but still create the feeling of dread. The idea of this game is borne from Source of the Nile and B17. I enjoy survival games, map building, and creative writing. I'm open and welcome to all feedback.

Cheers!
MH

Link to the Rules v803

Link to Player Sheet v803

*This game is created in Photoshop and MSWord. Some clipart has been modified from Shutterstock public use.

What you'll need to supply:

PENCIL WITH ERASER

GREEN AND BLUE COLORED PENCILS (To color in islands and sea hexes)

12 SIX-SIDED DICE

10 GAMING CUBES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 1672: The Lost Crew (2016 Solitaire Contest Entry) Ideas Phase
Excellent - I enjoyed your 1572 game. Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to see the followup to 1572! Welcome to the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Subscribed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
Initial version (v1) is now up.
I have not game tested this at all. I plan to tonight when I have more time. I'm sure there are many fixes needed, but if somebody wanted to take a look, ...]

Just very quickly: the margins cut off important bits of the image and the lumber has no dice.

Looking forward to playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You start with no lumber at the beginning of the game, so no die up there right at start, but there will be eventually.
I'll have to tighten some of the images so they all fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, this reminds me to play the other game which is still printed in my back pack, that and to some day find a copy of the other hex game that inspired 1572...

Oh right: Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark.
Make sure you play v705 (better balanced).
Here you go for Source of the Nile

I just started gametesting The Lost Crew...It was so broke that I couldn't get through it. I need to make some major changes. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In rulebook you are repeating point 1 at point 3. Remove one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtested a couple of times. It's a 30minute game instead of 60 minutes.

Here's my last game:

I was doing great for the first 3/4 of the game, but then hit Doldrums three turns in a row. Running low on water I limped on but couldn't find any islands. Then I got caught in a storm for two turns which pushed me into a large island. Wounded, and then hostile natives combined with headwinds finished me off. At one point, I was 1 hex from winning.
Some minor corrections...version 715 is ready to try.

(I used snapping cubes for my crew)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 1672: The Lost Crew (2016 Solitaire Contest Entry) Playtest Ready

Hi, I playtested "1672: The Lost Crew" yesterday.
I won relatively easily. I think I was lucky to run into several medium and large islands early on. My crew only took a total of 3 Wounds in the whole game.

Playing time was about 50 min. but it was the first play, and I spent a lot of time sketching the map. If I had just written "S" for Sea, "MI" for Medium Island etc, I would have saved probably some 15-20 min.

Issues with the game rules:

Shoals: What use are shoals? I can't find any game effect for them. I suppose they are there just for aesthetic purposes.

Storms: Maybe I got this wrong, but... during a Storm, if you assign:

0 Sailors to Move, then you get 2 Hull hits
1 Sailor to Move, you suffer 1 Hull hit
1 Sailor to Move and 1 Sailor to tack, you suffer 1 hit
What use is assigning 1 Sailor to Move and 1 Sailor to tack during a Storm? I would suggest assigning 2 Sailors allows you a chance to "ride out" the storm, e.g. you may roll a die, if score is < nº of unwounded Sailors, your vessel is not uncontrolled in the storm and you may move 1 hex in the direction you choose.

Hostile Natives: if the Natives are hostile, they force you to leave their island. What happens if you have Doldrums next turn?

Another point is that it is nowhere stated what happens when you enter an uncharted hex. I assume you roll 2d6, but... can you apply the +1 bonus if you have two Sailors assigned to Scan Horizon?

Cheers from Spain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had just written "S" for Sea, "MI" for Medium Island etc, I would have saved probably some 15-20 min.
True, but the sketching is aesthetically more appealing to me. It slows down the gameplay to allow time to build a colorful world

Shoals
Moving into a shoals hex does 1d5 Hull hits (a roll of a 6 avoids the damage).

Storms
0 Sailors assigned should be 3 damage (any mix of hull hits and wounds; 3H or 2H 1W, or 1H 2W, or 3 W).
1 Sailor assigned should be 2 damage (any mix of hull hits and wounds).
2 Sailors assigned should be 1 damage (any mix of hull hits and wounds).

Hostile Natives
In game terms, the island is no longer accessible. If encountered during a long period of Doldrums, your crew just sits in the boat waiting for the wind to change.

Entering an uncharted hex immediately makes it a sea hex.

I will post these on the next update. Thanks for bringing those rules to my attention, and thanks for playing the game from Spain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got around to playing 1572. Cool little game.

You said XX72. Please tell me a 2272: The Lost Astronauts is an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Titles made. Games to be fleshed out. Each will be map making, story telling survival.

1772 The Lost Hessians. A company of soldiers must reunite with British forces before the Amercans wipe them out.

1872 The Lost Crows. A small tribe of Native Americans must push their way north to Canada before the U.S. Cavalry finds and ends them.

1972 The Lost Phantom. A marine fighter pilot shot down over Vietnam has to find his way to safety while avoiding enemy contact.

2072 The Lost Virus. An engineered, semi-intelligent microbe that could save mankind needs to prove its worth in a microscopic hostile environment.

2172 The Lost Sector. Terraformer colonists awake from their long slumber to find their ship in an uncharted area of space where some of the laws of physics are stretched.

2272 The Lost Utopia. A group of teens realize that the world they're living in is a dystopia, and not actually Earth at all.

Not necessarily made in chronological order though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harshad Deshmukh
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first playthrough. Had a lot of fun with the game, though a few rules were unclear at the start:
1. Does the crew return to crew-area at the end of each turn?
2. Does a wounded sailor stay in the resting space till s/he he is healed by giving up one water?
3. The rules mention that if a wounded sailor is wounded again, s/he dies. How does this work if a wounded sailor cannot do any other action till s/he is healed?

I made a few assumptions and went on.

---
We did pretty well till we reached the middle of the game. came across a few small and medium islands, with mostly friendly and helpful natives. We managed to avoid the shoals and saw plenty of rain and headwinds, with a storm that didn't do a lot of damage. Then we were hit by a string of doldrums and a storm that lasted 2 full turns. I lost a sailor to starvation, and yet another one was to have the same fate. Then our luck changed, and we had fair weather. An island with reverent natives was a blessing we needed. Topped up, we made a beeline for the safe haven.
The sloop had taken a hell of a beating, and thus one sailor had to be on constant repair duty. We were scraping through, the fair weather was with us till the penultimate turn. Then we had headwinds again. I had to make a choice. But considering our position, I decided to take the sailor off repairs and told him to find us food. The decision paid off. By the time we reached the safe seas, we were out of water and had our last packet of provisions left. The sloop too was down to its last splinters. We paid our respects to our lost comrade and headed for home.

---

I enjoyed my time with the game. Just would suggest a bit more clarity in the rules.
Subscribed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, but I usually leave them where they are since they'll likely do the same thing next turn.
2. Yes. A wounded sailor stays there until 1 water is used (which will heal all wounded sailors).
3. Wounds are applied to anybody. Strategically, you might apply a wound to an already wounded sailor in order to conserve on water and keep sailors fit for worker placement.

I love your write-up about the journey. You just turned the game into a short story, and it was great. Thanks for the synopsis! I'm on holiday right now so I don't know when I'll get time to update the rules, but the only real changes are listed in a post a few above this one.

Most of all, I'm glad you enjoyed!

Cheers-
MH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
Titles made. Games to be fleshed out. Each will be map making, story telling survival.

1772 The Lost Hessians. A company of soldiers must reunite with British forces before the Amercans wipe them out.

1872 The Lost Crows. A small tribe of Native Americans must push their way north to Canada before the U.S. Cavalry finds and ends them.

1972 The Lost Phantom. A marine fighter pilot shot down over Vietnam has to find his way to safety while avoiding enemy contact.

2072 The Lost Virus. An engineered, semi-intelligent microbe that could save mankind needs to prove its worth in a microscopic hostile environment.

2172 The Lost Sector. Terraformer colonists awake from their long slumber to find their ship in an uncharted area of space where some of the laws of physics are stretched.

2272 The Lost Utopia. A group of teens realize that the world they're living in is a dystopia, and not actually Earth at all.

Not necessarily made in chronological order though...

I'm in love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smiley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of a play through video? I read the rules but still would like confirmation of my understanding of them. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I'm on holiday until the 9th.
The gameplay is similar to 1572 The Lost Expedition (click here for video link) if you think that would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I played my second game today and won again. But this time I was down to 0 water and 1 food when I reached the destination.
The only additional rules / system comments I have from this second playthrough, are as follows:
- Wind direction never changes. It starts being more or less N - NW and there is no indication in the rules that it would ever change. I think a simple solution would be: the wind direction moves 1d6 hexes, with the same die-roll that changes the weather. Of course a "Doldrums" result or a "no change" result should NOT alter the wind direction.

- Large islands appearing on the lower board edge (S-SW). The rules state that if a Large Island is found, it occupies the current hex and the hex to windward. What happens if the hex to windward has already been spotted and found to be something else? I encountered this problem when exploring the South board edge. I "home ruled" that I had found the "second" hex of the island. The "first" hex of the island is off the map and thus inaccessible. Of course the die-roll modifier for a large island would still apply for the playable hex.
Note that this problem can conceivably arise not just on the board edge, but anywhere on the map if you are travelling / spotting "against the wind".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanksfor the feedback.

I need to remove the wind direction portion of the game since the mechanics ar now built in to movement.

Also, I will rewrite the rule about discovering a large island. The second half of it occupies the hex opposite of the sloop (2 hexes away from the sloop). If the second hex is off the edge of the map, it's inaccessible (great suggestion David).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Nielsen
msg tools
I like this game.

I believe there is a small typo though. On the game sheet it says

"Roll 1d6. Gain 1 Wound if result is equal or less than current Hull."

While the rules say the opposite.

Roll 1d6. If it’s equal to or greater than the current Sloop Hull rating, take 1 Wound.

Imo the rules sheet wording makes more sense for me so I've been playing it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. I'll fix that if still allowable.
Let me know the results of your game when you get a chance.
Cheers
MH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Nielsen
msg tools
My first game I was doing well until about 3/4 the way to the end when my ship tragically bashed against some shoals in a storm. With my boat at only 1 hull, it was practically impossible to repair before my crew sank, I'm about to play my second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Nielsen
msg tools
I managed to win my second game fairly easily, some highlights.

-No natives encountered this game
-No sailors died this game
-Two large islands discovered but didn't land on either of them (one was on the victory hex, another I already had full supplies)
-Only problems I had, near the end ran out of water and gained some wounds, and a sloop accident here or there.
-A couple of storms but conveniently got to anchor at islands both times.
-Most sailors wounded at one time was 2.

Happy to get a win.

(Another minor typo, there is a 9 on food, 10 on fish and 10 on sloop accident on the player sheet,

and in the rules of the setup it says Fair Winds while in the weather box it is Fair Weather [ocd in action]

my rules are v715 though so maybe its fixed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.