Subject: To the sleevers out there... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I know--check the sleeve size geeklist! I have, and I still have a question

Has anyone here successfully used Mayday Standard USA sleeves (purple) instead of the USA Chimera (orange) for the Ultimate Edition?

The reason I ask is because while the geeklist recommends Chimeras, someone commented below that the FFG sleeves (which are smaller than the Chimeras) were a bit loose, and so I'm wondering if Standard USA would fit. I want to use Standard USA instead of Chimeras because my store only has Standard USA in non-premium format, which is a lot cheaper than the premiums. I was originally only going to sleeve the identity cards (with premiums), but since the cards are black and look like they might chip easily, I decided I'm going to sleeve the rest too but they don't need the premium-treatment

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crestfallen
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Time of Crisis fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fan - my cities are happy!Microbadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: 7 Ronin fanMicrobadge: Root fan
Mashpotassium wrote:
Has anyone here successfully used Mayday Standard USA sleeves (purple) instead of the USA Chimera (orange) for the Ultimate Edition?
I used the Mayday Standard USA. I actually prefer them to the Chimera which leave 2-3 mm on the sides and top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crestfallen wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
I used the Mayday Standard USA. I actually prefer them to the Chimera which leave 2-3 mm on the sides and top.
Thanks! As long as the cards don't peek OUT of the sleeves, I'm certainly okay with less space around the card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the narrower light blue mayday ones. Not sleeved the main deck, but the character cards and pod cards. Meant that... I ... CUT THE CARDS DOWN!!!! OH NOES!

But they still fit in the insert, so screw it I say. Felt kinda good TBH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. What sleeves do I want to buy for this game if I want the sleeves to fit nicely?

I saw another thread and someone said the Mayday Orange are a hair too narrow, and I think that's what's recommended on the Card Sleeves Geeklist.

So.. these Fantasy Flight Standard?:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1589945131/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_tt...

Or which Mayday sleeves? I'm having a hard time telling what's what, particularly since it appears Mayday Orange has split into two new products, according to someone from Mayday in a BGG thread from 2009.. Ah dunno, I just want the best fitting sleeves.

The Fantasy Flight are thicker right? Does that have a nicer effect with stability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
I'm confused. What sleeves do I want to buy for this game if I want the sleeves to fit nicely?

I saw another thread and someone said the Mayday Orange are a hair too narrow, and I think that's what's recommended on the Card Sleeves Geeklist.

Or which Mayday sleeves? I'm having a hard time telling what's what, particularly since it appears Mayday Orange has split into two new products, according to someone from Mayday in a BGG thread from 2009.. Ah dunno, I just want the best fitting sleeves.

The Fantasy Flight are thicker right? Does that have a nicer effect with stability?
For MayDay you'd want Premium Chimera cards.

https://www.maydaygames.com/products/usa-chimera-card-sleeve...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:

I picked up and sleeved my copy yesterday... Mayday Chimera Premium (orange) for the identity and escape pod cards since those are important to keep secret, and Mayday USA Standard (NON-premium; purple) for the rest of the cards. Chimeras are DEFINITELY not too narrow, and while not loose, there's a small margin of space around the card. USA Standards fit snugly and have an EXACT fit height-wise, so if it makes you nervous to have one edge a bit exposed, go with the Chimera size
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you!

So the identity and escape cards are pretty important?
For my identity/role type of games, I've been sleeving MATTE the important cards, but it doesn't seem there are matte in this size, so I might sleeve Chimera and then put the most important cards in Matte afterward.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
For important cards like the identity cards and the escape pods I actually recommend getting Ultra Pro Semi Rigid Sleeves. Thinner than Top loaders but offer the same protection or better, and still think enough to fit in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game and can't wait to try it out. I love the minimal colour design on the cards....and became abhorred when I saw all the fingerprints I put on the cards from just perusing. I definitely want to sleeve these.

I had some FF US Standard (green) leftovers and tried a couple; they seemed to fit fine. But I don't know if I sleeved all, if the box would close.

In the ultimate box, I wish the pens weren't so big and there were two slots for the cards...would have made it a bit easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge4444 wrote:
I just got this game and can't wait to try it out. I love the minimal colour design on the cards....and became abhorred when I saw all the fingerprints I put on the cards from just perusing. I definitely want to sleeve these.

I had some FF US Standard (green) leftovers and tried a couple; they seemed to fit fine. But I don't know if I sleeved all, if the box would close.

In the ultimate box, I wish the pens weren't so big and there were two slots for the cards...would have made it a bit easier.
After sleeving as I described above, I was able to fit all the cards in the box; I just had to bag the Identity and Escape Pods separately. If you used thick sleeves for everything I think it would still fit, but you'd have to bag them into lots of little piles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Hollander
msg tools
Mashpotassium wrote:
stooge4444 wrote:

After sleeving as I described above, I was able to fit all the cards in the box; I just had to bag the Identity and Escape Pods separately. If you used thick sleeves for everything I think it would still fit, but you'd have to bag them into lots of little piles
Quick tip to fit the sleeved cards (I sleeved just the Identity and Escape Pod cards in FFG green sleeves) in the box. Cut out the raised bit of cardboard that the cards sit on with an X-Acto knife or box cutter. I did this and then put the sleeved cards at the bottom of the deck. This keeps the sleeved cards compressed by the weight of the deck and it fits perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Did anyone else have trouble sleeving with the FFG green sleeves for the Ultimate Edition? I got two separate 50 packs, and they're all just a *bit* too tight so they're hard to slide all the way in, and if I do it bends the cards fairly significantly.

I e-mailed FFG to see if I could get a replacement, has anyone else had quality control issues with them? The other option is that my cards are somehow a bit larger than normal, but that would seem less likely than sleeves being too small as they seem to have worse quality control than cards in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ZeeAyKay wrote:
Did anyone else have trouble sleeving with the FFG green sleeves for the Ultimate Edition? I got two separate 50 packs, and they're all just a *bit* too tight so they're hard to slide all the way in, and if I do it bends the cards fairly significantly.

I e-mailed FFG to see if I could get a replacement, has anyone else had quality control issues with them? The other option is that my cards are somehow a bit larger than normal, but that would seem less likely than sleeves being too small as they seem to have worse quality control than cards in general.
Exactly my experience with FFG greens as well. I went with Ultra-Pro 59mm X 92mm Standard European Board Game Sleeves. They are a loose fit, but work ok.

I have the Ultimate Edition of EFTAIOS - perhaps the card sizes differ ever-so-slightly between the editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just tried FFG Green sleeves and they are too small, bending the card far too much for my liking. I tried some leftover Ultra Pro sleeves that are also Standard American and they are also too small.

Not sure which brand I should try next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edit:.. I forget what I sleeved mine in. I sleeved the normal cards in some basic sort of sleeve, maybe Mayday or FF? Any sleeved the escape, and character roles cards with a basic sleeve, and a larger matte backed sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So what's the general consensus on which kind fit the Best if I want thicker sleeves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
There doesn't seem to be one. Many people have suggested that the FFG green fit well, but others, including myself, have found them to be too tight to fit. Still waiting on hearing a good option for the Ultimate Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
To anyone following along, the Mayday Premium Chimera sleeves ended up being a perfect fit - though they add just a tad to the height which makes it difficult for them to fit into the included card holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found when putting sleeves on my character and hatch cards (from the ultimate edition) that the Mayday Premium Chimera's were inconsistent. Some of the sleeves fit perfectly while most of them were slightly too small for the cards (aka: caused the card to bow slightly). Perhaps there is another sleeve that would work better but... until I find one, I'll make due with Chimera's.

P.S. Please inform me if someone finds the magical size sleeve for this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cooper
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just got my copy and decided to see if my FFG Green sleeves would fit and sure enough, they fit just fine. Snug but didn't bend the cards or anything. So here's a recommendation for the FFG Green sleeves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the FFG Standard American (green) sleeves to be a good fit for my cards, too. I tried Mayday USA Chimera sleeves and found them too loose. The FFG sleeves are very snug on the left and right and leave a little space over on the top, but that's fine by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've sadly learned that collecting boardgames and playing them are different hobbies
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for FFG Green Sleeves. No issues here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls